Thread: 03/04 Enduro's

Just Ride !

03/04 Enduro's

How many of you had these or even still have and how did you like em back then as compaired to the new specialized fsr frames of today.?
    Every time i walk into the LBS and see the price tags on new bikes it makes me enjoy and appreciate my Ol' ride even more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by C.M.S View Post
    How many of you had these or even still have and how did you like em back then as compaired to the new specialized fsr frames of today.?
    I have one, still. It'll be the last Spec frame I ever buy. They lost me when they put Stratos out of business. So, can't comment on the new Enduros. But the old one, at my 185 bare ass nekkid, I can flex quite noticeably. That said, it didn't really detract from tracking of the bike. The thing did build up light tho...and w/ a pair of those Reynolds MTN-C wheelset, the thing is sub 25lbs w/the older M960 XTR. My frame is a large FSR Enduro Pro, circa 2004.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    I had an xl 2004 enduro expert. Great bike for it's time, mine had manitau black forks which were the worst part on the bike. The rear end worked pretty well, super stiff frame and over all a good all mountain. Sold it for a 2010 pitch pro. The pitch was a cheaper bike but worked way better due to advances in suspension geometry and other factors including brakes, drivetrain and not having a manitou fork. I sold the pitch for a 2008 enduro sl which is very similar to the pitch only way better build quality. If your getting a very clean 2004 enduro for less then 700 bones or so it's not bad. Otherwise spend a grand and find a used pitch or newer enduro. My brother has a 2006 enduro and it's definitely more advanced performance wise, and there out there for a grand or so. And never, never buy any bike with a manitou "black" fork on it.
    If it's not one thing it's your mother

Love4Mtns
    May 2009

My 2004 Enduro

I bought a 2004 Enduro Comp new. When I first rode it, I felt like I was cheating. My previous bike was a K2 ProFlex full suspension bike and the differences were very noticeable. I found that my traction on the local, East-Coast trails (lots of rocks and roots) doubled riding this bike. If I had the legs, then I could claw my way up anything. This bike climbs and descends great. I still ride it 3 or 4 times a week.

I have recently demoed a Pivot Mach 5.7 and a 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper (26 and 29er) and I have found that while these are great bikes, they aren't noticeably better than what I currently ride. I know some of you may find this as unbelievable as I did after reading Pivot reviews, but their bikes are as amazing as they have been portrayed. While I have made quite a few upgrades to keep my bike up to date, I feel like the '04 Enduro was ahead of it's time.

Major upgrades that have kept it relevant:
    2011 Fox RP23 - 7.875 x 2.25 (this has extended the rear wheel travel to about 140mm)
    RS Revelation U-Turn (Coil: 90-130mm)
    New Wheelset (Stan's Flow w/ XT hubs)
    Wider Handlbar

Demon Cleaner
    Still riding an 04 Enduro Expert. Push'ed Talas RLC in front. Push'ed Fox in the back. Bit's an pieces replaced here and there. Three years of no riding inbetween (after daughter was born) so perhaps it's not had quite the typical beating, but it's been good to me. I still think it rides great. Compared to my previous bike (Cannondale Super V) or rigid, it's a dream. Going back to 2004, I'd buy it again in a second. Today, well if I had the $ I'd obviously want something newer (probably a Stumpjumper 29er rather than an Enduro...). However, since I don't really have the $ and if my bike were to get stolen or something, I probably would try to buy it, or similar again used.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    If I can scrounge up an '04 enduro and a 6er of microbrew, would anyone like to trade 'em for a Mach 5.7?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    If I can scrounge up an '04 enduro and a 6er of microbrew, would anyone like to trade 'em for a Mach 5.7?
    Wait, you want to trade your '04 Enduro + whateva w/ someone who has a 5.7? I say whateva cause there must be none of that 6er left.
    On the other hand, if you want to trade me your 5.7 for my '04 Enduro, what's your address?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

my 03 enduro

I bought a new 2010 sj comp to upgrade from this bike, swapped the wheels and fork and put the SJ OEM fork and wheels to my old enduro, what a blast!!! the old bike feels like a new one!!! I honestly think its now a better descender than the new SJ even when it has a revelation team 150 uturn air 20mm TA fork and crossmax xl wheels, and the weight its like half pound heavier than the SJ. twisty singletrack also feels better on the enduro, only climbing is were the SJ outperforms the enduro and it feels stiffer laterally but that doesn't translate to the performance to my surprise IMO.
    Last edited by checocc; 11-10-2011 at 07:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by checocc View Post
    I bought a new 2010 sj comp to upgrade from this bike, swapped the wheels and fork and put the SJ OEM fork and wheels to my old enduro, what a blast!!! the old bike feels like a new one!!! I honestly think its now a better descender than the new SJ even when it has a revelation team 150 uturn air 20mm TA fork and crossmax xl wheels, and the weight its like half pound heavier than the SJ. twisty singletrack also feels better on the enduro, only climbing is were the SJ outperforms the enduro and it feels stiffer laterally but that doesn't translate to the performance to my surprise IMO.
    The rear shock of my Enduro Pro has that Itch Switch w/ lockout. 5.2 or 4.3(?) travel on the Itch Switch which helped w/ the climbing. I also rebuilt it, w/ X0 and carbon wheels to get it sub 25lbs for a large. Haven't taking it out yet tho...
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    25 pounds??? Are u shure? Mine is like 27.8 with pedals and its a medium, but if i Could put it around 26 would be great.
    Can u list the parts u have to have the idea of what it takes to get it there?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

the old lady...

isn't she pretty?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 03/04 Enduro's-enduro.jpg  

03/04 Enduro's-enduro-2.jpg  

03/04 Enduro's-enduro-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sold her on the fleaBay earlier this year in mint condition. Really fun, pretty light bike for the time. Would have kept it but made the mistake of test riding a new Tracer.....

mtbr member
    I had on 04 S-works enduro until May of this year along with an 06 Expert enduro. The big difference between the two bikes was the stiffness. The 04 had a lot more flex in it, you don't notice it until you ride a more modern bike then trying to go back is tough. I now have a Mojo HD it it feels as stiff as the 06 but a hell of a lot better climber with a lot less mid stroke wallow.

Oh also the newer bike are a bit more slacker in the HA which helps a lot going down hill and in the rough stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by checocc View Post
    25 pounds??? Are u shure? Mine is like 27.8 with pedals and its a medium, but if i Could put it around 26 would be great.
    Can u list the parts u have to have the idea of what it takes to get it there?
    I'm selling her off, so I stuck some other parts on and she picked up some weight. It was weighed w/o pedals...so add another 1.5 lbs?

Fox 32 Float 130 RLC (QR)
    XTR M960 series:
    - rear mech (was X0)
    - front mech
    - shifties (was X0)
    - cranks/rings
    - bb & cassette
    - chain
    Gravity carbon bar (was SixC)
    Sunline XC stem (was Thomson)
    King HS
    Juicy 7 w/ Elixir CR front caliper
    Joplin R3 (was Thomson?)
    WTB Rocket 5 saddle
    The weight was saved here - Wheelset
    Mavic XMax XL frt, Bontrager XXX carbon rear
    (was Reynolds MTN-C Special)
    WTB 2.2 Descent UST
    Oury Lock-on grips
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮