mtbr member
    Jun 2007

02 hot rock upgrades

hey guys just wondering if you could tell me if these are some good upgrades for my bike:

currently riding a 02 specialzied hot rock and there is no upgrades on it right now i was considering doing these.

wellgo mg1 pedals
    avid single digit 7 brake levers
    avid single digit 7 v-brakes
    and using kool stop brake pads.

good idea?

any better suggestions?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    if i was you i would save the money and look for a new bike. but riding what you got is respectable too. if you ask me its about how you ride and not what you ride. ive shred on cheap stuff in the past. so if you wanna keep this bike heres what id do

-definately get new wheels. the original wheels with v brakes are gonna be way worn by now and will probably taco soon if your gonna be doing any serious riding.

-make sure your drive train is working good. check out deraileurs and cables.

-after all that then i would check out the brakes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    good point.. maybe i'll check out and see what it would cost me to upgrade to a new bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    i bought the bike brand new all the cables and deraileurs are in perfect shape.

im sort of hoping to use it for 1 more year and than upgrade to something else.

ive bought things like a seat post bag/bell/ looking to buy lights stuff like that is nice b/c its transferrable to a new bike.

but i wouldnt mind doing some cheap upgrades..

pedals are a must b/c ive got plastic ones on now.

the wellgo mg-1 you can buy for around 30.00 and are a pretty decent trail riding pedal from what i understand...correct me if im wrong though

mtbr member
    Isn't the Specialized Hot Rock the bike they make for children?

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCExp...64&language=US
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    yeah it is but the earlier versions of the hotrock were similar to the current rockhopper