mtbr member
    Jun 2008

'02 Giant NRS 2??

Looking to get my first full suspension bike, I have a cannondale chase 1 that just doesn't cut it On the trail. I found a 2002 Giant NRS 2 for $500, just wondering if that's a good price. Bike seems to be in great condition, person didn't really ride it alot and it was stored inside. Hes considering trade for my 2008 chase 1, would it be worth it?

Hi.
    His bike retailed for around $1500 back in 2002. Yours retailed for $1200 in 2008. Your bike is worth more money, and it wouldn't be an even trade unless yours is pretty beat up.

Alternatively, you could buy a full-suspension frame and transfer your parts to it for much cheaper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Mines in great shape with barely a scratch on it! I just don't see my bike going for more than $500 anywhere. Maybe I could sell my frame for a few bucks and swap over parts like you said.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    NRS only has about 3" of travel, which isn't a lot. It also is designed to run at 0% sag so it isn't very plush.

Old XC race bike? Yes

All mountain bike? No.

mtbr member
    My buddy picked up a NRS 2 for $50.00 at a garage sale... POS... I'd look for something a little better for $500.00

EDR
    IIRC the NRS was basically a short travel race type bike. Not plush at all. Probably fairly steep angles as well, not sure. Sounds like wrong tool for the job regardless of condition. It might be fine for you but since you posted in the AM forum, I have to say no. If you had asked in the xc/race forum then maybe yes.

Bike manufacturers were certainly feeling there way in '02 and to my knowledge the need for that design came and went without anybody missing it.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayton View Post
    My buddy picked up a NRS 2 for $50.00 at a garage sale... POS... I'd look for something a little better for $500.00
    I hope you're not saying all NRS bikes are "POS." Because then you would sound crazy.

The NRS was an amazing XC race bike for the time. Fast as hell, softtail style riding (like a Cannondale Scalpel) and really well-priced.

If it's in great shape, $500 isn't absurd. I sold a full XTR model 1 for $900 a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    IIRC the NRS was basically a short travel race type bike. Not plush at all. Probably fairly steep angles as well, not sure. Sounds like wrong tool for the job regardless of condition. It might be fine for you but since you posted in the AM forum, I have to say no. If you had asked in the xc/race forum then maybe yes.

Bike manufacturers were certainly feeling there way in '02 and to my knowledge the need for that design came and went without anybody missing it.

They were like softtails (as I said above.) Not suited for AM riding at all.

They didn't come and go as quickly as you'd like to think. They were around for a long time (4 or 5 years!), and were replaced by the Anthem with a slightly different suspension design. They were awesome bikes for their application, and are still relevant today for the right price.

Definitely not AM, but not a bad bike either.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    I hope you're not saying all NRS bikes are "POS." Because then you would sound crazy.

The NRS was an amazing XC race bike for the time. Fast as hell, softtail style riding (like a Cannondale Scalpel) and really well-priced.

If it's in great shape, $500 isn't absurd. I sold a full XTR model 1 for $900 a few years ago.
    Fine bike for it's intended purpose . OP, just know what that purpose was before making a deal.

Steep bike.
    http://archive.mtbr.com/09/0EEEDE01.php

mtbr member
    Not saying the NRS 2 is a POS Giant makes awesome bikes. I'm saying that the 50$ garage sale version is...

Hi.
    Not saying the NRS 2 is a POS Giant makes awesome bikes. I'm saying that the 50$ garage sale version is...
    Then why would you make the connection between your buddy's crappy $50 bike and all NRS models? What are you basing your suggestion upon that you would look for something better for $500?

Basically, why would you mention your buddy's bike, then recommend the OP stay away from the NRS? Are they two independent thoughts that just happened to make it into the same sentence?

Yes, this is MTBR, but I'd expect a little more logic in responses to questions like the OP's.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Then why would you make the connection between your buddy's crappy $50 bike and all NRS models? What are you basing your suggestion upon that you would look for something better for $500?

Basically, why would you mention your buddy's bike, then recommend the OP stay away from the NRS? Are they two independent thoughts that just happened to make it into the same sentence?

Yes, this is MTBR, but I'd expect a little more logic in responses to questions like the OP's.
    Bite me.

Hi.
    Bite me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I rode my NRS 2 for ten years until I bought the Mojo HD. Nothing really got my attention until the HD came out.

It's probably worth around that in great condition but why not go with something newer like a used stump jumper?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for all the input! I think I'm gonna stick with my chase for now, save some $$ and wait for something else. My chase takes a massive beating and keeps on going and I hate to see it go