RideDirt

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! ** What PROTECTIVE GEAR are you guys wearing ? **

Hey guys/gals , i am in the market now to purchase some knee or knee/shin pads for my riding . I have been getting a bit more aggressive with my riding and i have my new bike on order , so this means i will be hitting more techy and flowy trails . The trails i will be riding will be filled with rock gardens and more roots . Basically more aggressive and harder trails .( NJ terrain ) Right now i ride on roots ,hard pack, and some small rocks without any protection on my arms or legs.

I def would like something with great protection and that doesn't slide all over the place . So i am trying to see what most people wear or would recommend? What do you guys wear for your style of riding?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    For me, Kyle Strait Knee Guards are just perfect combo. Not too bulky and not too thin.
    Those lets your knees move as well and sit around the knee relatively tight.
    Especially I enjoy riding with them in winter and in muddier conditions. For rock garden they should work fine. The looks is also lovely. Only negative side is that they do not have silicone gripper inside.

And for not so aggressive riding I use Endura FS260 Pro Knee Warmers. Yeah.. those don't give real protection, but they provide support, keep my knees warm and insert some confidence, that I wouldn't have without them.

I am riding trials related AM and XC.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Some Brand X Knee/Shin and Elbow guards from CRC. I really don't want my pedals to eat me.

Also gonna purchase some impact shorts, mainly for snowboarding but I might use them for biking depending on the trail.
    "It doesn't get easier, you just go faster"

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Hey guys/gals , i am in the market now to purchase some knee or knee/shin pads for my riding . I have been getting a bit more aggressive with my riding and i have my new bike on order , so this means i will be hitting more techy and flowy trails . The trails i will be riding will be filled with rock gardens and more roots . Basically more aggressive and harder trails .( NJ terrain ) Right now i ride on roots ,hard pack, and some small rocks without any protection on my arms or legs.

I def would like something with great protection and that doesn't slide all over the place . So i am trying to see what most people wear or would recommend? What do you guys wear for your style of riding?
    I think these are the best product out there. I've tried them on, but haven't ridden with them. Two of my buddies have these and love them; Even used them in 95 degree Moab heat in June with no complaints. I will be purchasing them soon.

Troy Lee Designs®*|*Knee/Shin Guard KG 5450

Troy Lee Designs®*|*Elbow/Forearm Guard EG 5550

I have the 661 Evo line. The shin guards work great, but don't breath, are hot and falling apart after 9 months of regular use. OH, and WAY over priced! The knee pads are huge and don't fit well if you follow the measurements from their sizing table. I also have the Evo gloves, and they are falling apart as well. I've read many others say their 661 products fall apart around the stitching as well.

I just got a pair of these and love them for less aggressive riding when all I'm trying to prevent is a "digger" from flying rocks in the shins.

G-Form | Shin Pads

Good luck!

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

≈ > ♥
    I like the RaceFace Flank D30 for notDH riding. Light and comfy enough to pedal tons of XC in, but enough protection when you need it for "AM", and just enough protection on the shin to guard from pedalbite.

For full on DH I like the protection of Roach/RaceFace Rallys.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm wearing the 661 evo XC lite knee and elbow guards...they've kept the skin on in some pretty big crashes, yet I find them quite easy to wear whenever I'm on the bike. They're not as thick and chunky as some, but the trade off is being able to wear the lites all the time, even in our hot Australian summer. If I was riding flat pedlas I'd be wanting shin guards though.

mtbr member
    I wear Troy Lee arm guards -- I broke my arm in half in April so it makes me feel a little safer

They are very light and NEVER slip. I wear them in the 95 degree weather and they do not bother me at all. Excellent stuff, and I've taken some nasty spills on them and so far, so good!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

RideDirt
    Basically it has come down to this so far , lemme know what you guys think :

Fox Racing Launch Pro Knee Guards 2011

RaceFace Zero LW Leg Guards 2012

661 Kyle Strait Knee 2011

Troy Lee Designs T-Bone Knee Guards

Unless u guys have something else that might be better? I am not really worried about my legs heating up.

mtbr member
    i haven't seen POC mentioned. check out the joint knee.
    Last edited by 'size; 08-22-2011 at 02:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    for AM I wear Specialized Deviant helmet, Fox Launch Pro knees (like kyle straits), and depending on terrain either vegie elbows or rockgardn landing zone elbows. fox launch undershorts for a little bit of hip and tailbone protection.
    for long climbs i usually take the pads off and strap it to my pack.

i have a padded football shirt that i may start wearing under jersey, but probably not.

I <3 <3 <3 the launch pro knees. fit is superb, they dont move , they breathe about as well as you could ever hope for, and you forget you are wearing them.
    The mountains are calling and I must go

mtbr member
    i use these for my knees:

They've saved my knees several times, they're light, and they work well for pedalling. I've done 21 miles XC rides with 3500+ feet climbing and have no complaints. I'm less 'all mountain" and more fall prone but I'd recommend these for sure. Getting the elbow guards this week too.

RideDirt
    Thanks for the input guys , I know this might seem a bit much to ask but you have any pics by any chance of the pads on your knees ? I'd like to see if they bulge out or just flow with the body ( if u guys don't mind ) .. Would be useful as well .

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

IMAG0134 by terrasmak
    Once my Lizard skin shin guards come in i will be wearing them at all times. Typically i just wore gloves and helmet for XC riding, but have 661 4x4 and 4x2 pads for more aggressive riding.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input guys , I know this might seem a bit much to ask but you have any pics by any chance of the pads on your knees ? I'd like to see if they bulge out or just flow with the body ( if u guys don't mind ) .. Would be useful as well .
    no pics but the poc joint knees are way less bulky than my kyle straits. very streamlined imo.

google image search 'poc joint knee' and you'll get some pics.

Team Chilidog!
    Basically it has come down to this so far , lemme know what you guys think :

Fox Racing Launch Pro Knee Guards 2011

RaceFace Zero LW Leg Guards 2012

661 Kyle Strait Knee 2011

Troy Lee Designs T-Bone Knee Guards

Unless u guys have something else that might be better? I am not really worried about my legs heating up.
    Been using 661 EVO on every ride since knee surgery sans four rides. These are DH knee guards, but I have no problems pedaling in them. They're expensive, and they can rip, but for me they provide three things:
    1) knee protection
    2) knee warmth
    3) confidence building

I might try some others, but for me it's worth the cost so I can keep riding. I was wearing them only for DH and some $20 Troy Lee knee/shin combos for XC, but the Troy Lees don't keep my knee warm (6 months post-op from ACL recon).

Still haven't found elbow guards I like. Gloves vary on the ones that fit me at the time, but I tend to favour the Fox gloves.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

RideDirt
    Ya I will do a google image search , I'm surprised there is not a pic thread in the Protection gear section on this forums .

mtbr member
    Fox Launch Shorty Knee/Shin guards. They're stiff when you first buy them but after a few rides and or crashes they loosen up quite a bit and don't interfere with pedaling at all. They leave a few inches at the bottom of your leg exposed so you don't have to worry about ankle movement. The holes in the plastic shell let air through pretty well so they breathe. Legs still get a little sweaty but not to the point of annoyance. The plastic hard shell is awesome when smashing into rocks and stumps, or a pedal whipping around. I'd definitely buy them again.

I also bought some Fox launch elbow/forearm guards because I needed guards a day before a race and they were the only ones the shop I stopped at carried. They're decent arm guards but a little overkill for what I'm riding and what it sounds like you'll be riding.

A friend of mine has 661 2x4 arm guards and seems to love them. I'd have gotten them if the shop had them. I still might order some eventually.

I don't really have any great profile shots of the knee guards on me. They're pretty common at local shops though, you should be able to go try them on.

RideDirt
    I ride with the fox flux helmet , specialized bf fortress gloves and sometimes fox half fingered gloves if I'm on smooth flowy trails . Next is knee pads and elbow pads .. Then next year I gotta gear up for some DH action haha ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Helmet.

Ow!
    I wear Kyle Straits every ride. Some Race Face elbow/forearm plastic occasionally when I think I will be going fast down a rocky part. I also wear my Met Parachute most of the time. Not a true fullface, but more coverage for those nice little slow falls where you can still do some major damage. I wear a Fox Flux for the true XC riding.

But my trails are usually rocks, and more rocks, and more rocks. So the protective gear. I am thinking of going to the mountains soon, not just for the cool weather, but there may be some smoother trails. Then I will wear just the Fox Flux, and no other protection. It will feel weird.

mtbr member
    Well I'm new to mountain biking and I just wear my giro helmet, my camelback and my gloves! But after reading this thread I'm definitely gonna invest in some knee and elbow pads!

Sent from my Droid
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

RideDirt
    Good idea on the protection mate !! I have a full time job and plus I like to be safe as I ride a bit aggressive can't afford to be getting hurt too often . Considering the region I am in ( north new jersey ) most trails are rocks , roots , log overs , Berms , small drops , up hill and downhill . If I head out a bit south / west into NJ then I hit the smoother flowy trails and I don't need too much protection . I mean we invest thousands into our bikes , so we should all should invest into our safety as well .

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Helmet, gloves, knee / shin pads (on rocky trails) and a camelbak. Camelbak has proven its weight in gold protecting my back from several scary falls.

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    Nothing. My girl is on the pill.
    "If Liberace was alive, he'd be proud to ride that mofo."