mtbr member
    Jul 2011

[2012 150mm travel bike] Commencal Meta AM 3 vs Specialized Stumpjumper EVO

commencal Meta AM 3 for 2.849 euros
    Specialized StumpJumper EVO for 3.300 dollars

the only thing that I'm very concern about is the rear shock design on the commencal Meta AM.. I wish commencal will come up with some kind of mud guard for the rear shock.. those will make rear shock last longer I think..

tell me what you think about this two?

thx

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    if you do a lot of climbing id say go for the commencal. fsr is very impressive when descending but its way to active when climbing

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I like the commencal a lot. it has internal cable routing, 7005 alumunium frame, clean design
    but there is one thing that I'm very concern about the rear shock is very exposed to dirt/debris..
    I wish there will be a mud guard made specifically for the meta am/sx

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    i'm sure you can craft something up or there is a mud guard out there.

see something like this.

2008 Commencal Meta 5.5 DIY mudguard | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Have a look at the Transition Covert - it is really worth a ride.
    And Transition Bikes support is the best class in the world!

Cheers

fai
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Sunny Chicksands by Alanatriversidecyclecentre, on Flickr
    Ventana 2012 El Ciclon is well worth a look.
    AJR

mtbr member
    Funny, I really liked the Commencal until I noticed it had internal cable routing! Have fun with your brake and derailleur lines if you ever need to switch anything out!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think internal cable routing is a great feature. and I dont see my self to be messing with the cabling.
    The "open" rear shock design is the most irritating in the commencal meta am.
    I wish commencal make a mud guard specifically for meta am/sx.

mtbr member
    Aesthetically it looks nice, but ask any mechanic who's ever had to deal with them! If you're preoccupied with mud getting on your shock (which it is surely designed to manage), you might want to worry about mud/grime/water/etc getting inside the frame via those internal cable inserts. There's nothing to protect the frame from corrosion on the inside!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    Funny, I really liked the Commencal until I noticed it had internal cable routing! Have fun with your brake and derailleur lines if you ever need to switch anything out!
    Agreed!

Having to bleed the rear brake every time it's removed just seems like poor design to me. That, and having to deal with dropper seatposts with internal routing is also a major pain.
    "Don't feel bad. A lot of people have no talent"

fai
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The internal cable routing on the Ventana runs through welded in tubes so no problems either feeding the cables through or with anything getting inside the frame.
    AJR

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by King Luis View Post
    i'm sure you can craft something up or there is a mud guard out there.

see something like this.

2008 Commencal Meta 5.5 DIY mudguard | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    I have an issue with bikes that need aftermarket guards. If there's an issue it needs to be addressed by the manufacturer. Having said that, I haven't heard anything good or bad in regards to real world issues with their shock placement. I really like the sx, but I wouldn't consider it until reviews are in. That shock placement looks like a major issue to me, but I have to assume they know what they are doing?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz View Post
    Agreed!

Having to bleed the rear brake every time it's removed just seems like poor design to me. That, and having to deal with dropper seatposts with internal routing is also a major pain.
    Yeah, the routing looks clean but it would be a pain. I'm a fan of simple user friendly designs even if it doesn't looks as neat.

mtbr member
    The Commencal Meta is just sex on wheels. Although I'd like to rent one in perfect condition, but I wouldn't really want to own one as it just seems like too much hassle.

Stumpjumper, not sure how a about an Enduro or one of the many other 5.5-6" travel AM bikes available?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have not ridden either, but have read a lot of reviews of the Stumpy evo and have seen it in action. Looks like a pretty awesome capable bike.

As for the internal cable routing, more and more companies are doing this, and even though it looks cleaner, the downsides outweigh what they are trying to accomplish. Internal cable routing is loud, the cables inside the frame just rattle around inside when you hit rough stuff and gets very annoying. Thats why you see a good amount of riders that have internal cable bikes just tape or zip tie the cables externally. Ive seen plenty of Trek Sessions and Devinci Wilsons where riders tie the cables externally and not internally like what the manufacturer designed for.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website
    http://all-mtn.com/