Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Smile $3000 budget! Help me out!

Hey all,

I currently have the 2009 GT carbon zaskar. Love the hardtail but looking for a bit more. I don't know much of the full suspension bikes so I need some major help! I'm looking for a bike that can both climb and go downhill well. Just an all-around bike!

I've only checked out 2011 GT force 1.0

Any advice or recommendations please gimme a shout!

Thanks

usually cranky
    are you looking for a trail bike or something more burly that will take some drops and jumps?

mtbr member
    I recommend you ride lots of bikes and find out what you want before you drop that kind of money.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fotu
    I recommend you ride lots of bikes and find out what you want before you drop that kind of money.
    Yes, but I kinda need to know WHICH ONES to ride first... hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    are you looking for a trail bike or something more burly that will take some drops and jumps?
    YES! Right on

mtbr member
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...emedy/remedy8/

that would be my choice for an all around bike that still climbs and goes down the other side
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

THAT guy
    Most everyone will recomend what they ride or plan on riding.
    That being said, I recomend a Specialized Enduro!

mtbr member
    double post
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwaystreets
    double post
    ????

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...emedy/remedy8/

that would be my choice for an all around bike that still climbs and goes down the other side
    Mmmmmm, that's a sweet looking bike! Thanks! I'm gonna write down all these choices and ride them all!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnum703
    ????
    accidentally posted twice... my suggestion is my first post
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

mtbr member
    Mmmmmm, that's a sweet looking bike! Thanks! I'm gonna write down all these choices and ride them all!
    believe me it looks ALOT better in person... its a fantastic looking bike, haven't ridden a 2011 but i did the 2010 and they ride very nice.
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

mtbr member

You just said the best thing. Go to all your local shops and test ride as many as possible. If they have demo bikes get one and take it to your favorite trail.

Also honestly answer a couple questions.
    1- What kind of trails do I normally ride on? Smooth and buff or rough and technical

2- What kind of riding do I like the best? Are you a racer or do you like to jump off of everything you see.

For $3000 you should be able to get a really nice bike. If you like to do your own wrenching you may want to look into buying everything separately and building it yourself. There is a great reward to putting your new baby together by yourself and taking it out for the first ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    believe me it looks ALOT better in person... its a fantastic looking bike, haven't ridden a 2011 but i did the 2010 and they ride very nice.
    Hey have you checked out and ride this one?

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...el_ex/fuelex9/

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for your input!

1 - I ride basically on everything lol. Smooth, rough, not too technical, ups and downs, small to medium jumps here and there.

2 - Not much of a racer. Just love to enjoy the sport. You know... being in the woods, ripping up the trails after work!

I don't think it's a good idea for me to put together my bike. I do small maintaince here and there but I don't have the confidence to do it myself! Especially on a 3k bike!

Quote Originally Posted by denjen
    You just said the best thing. Go to all your local shops and test ride as many as possible. If they have demo bikes get one and take it to your favorite trail.

Also honestly answer a couple questions.
    1- What kind of trails do I normally ride on? Smooth and buff or rough and technical

2- What kind of riding do I like the best? Are you a racer or do you like to jump off of everything you see.

For $3000 you should be able to get a really nice bike. If you like to do your own wrenching you may want to look into buying everything separately and building it yourself. There is a great reward to putting your new baby together by yourself and taking it out for the first ride.

Blue Pig
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

mtbr member
    Hey have you checked out and ride this one?

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...el_ex/fuelex9/
    not that year, i do own a EX8 tho... very nice bikes but they are a hair away from an "AM" bike... slightly less suspension travel and not as burly as the Remedy. So depending on your riding style it could work really well for you.

With the Remedy and the TALAS fork i think you have a ton of flexibility in the bike and the application
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Has anybody checked out the new 2011 GT?

http://www.gtbicycles.com/bikes/moun...-0-matte-black

GT "claims" their I-drive is really really good. Anyone backing that up here?

mtbr member
    Sounds like you'd be suited better to a "trail bike" than an "all mountain" although those distinctions are pretty vague and overlapping if they can be understood at all. You said it basically, you want something that doesn't feel like a sled uphill, descends with stability and comfort, and takes small and medium drops with ease. I'm was in the same spot and picked up my Cannondale, but my budget was half of yours. Look/call around for closeout models, you might be able to find a 2010 $4k bike for $3k.

If I had $3k to spend, I'd definitely be looking at bikes with around 5" of travel with not too slack of a head tube angle. For $3k you should be able to find something with XT/X9 components in the 27-28# range. I'd take a look at:

1. Trek Fuel EX8/9
    2. Santa Cruz Blur LT
    3. Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite
    4. Santa Cruz Nickel
    5. Cannondale RZ120 One
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    THANK YOU!!!

Hey do you know anything about GT bikes? I have a hardtail which is amazing, dunno about their i-drive full suspension... thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
    Sounds like you'd be suited better to a "trail bike" than an "all mountain" although those distinctions are pretty vague and overlapping if they can be understood at all. You said it basically, you want something that doesn't feel like a sled uphill, descends with stability and comfort, and takes small and medium drops with ease. I'm was in the same spot and picked up my Cannondale, but my budget was half of yours. Look/call around for closeout models, you might be able to find a 2010 $4k bike for $3k.

If I had $3k to spend, I'd definitely be looking at bikes with around 5" of travel with not too slack of a head tube angle. For $3k you should be able to find something with XT/X9 components in the 27-28# range. I'd take a look at:

1. Trek Fuel EX8/9
    2. Santa Cruz Blur LT
    3. Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite
    4. Santa Cruz Nickel
    5. Cannondale RZ120 One

mtbr member
    THANK YOU!!!

Hey do you know anything about GT bikes? I have a hardtail which is amazing, dunno about their i-drive full suspension... thanks again
    I ride weekly with 3 guys on GT Force Carbons and they love them. One of the guys also has a Remedy 9, but he rides the GT more often as it's a better climber. Very nice looking bikes too, and from their reports the iDrive thing works as advertised. Good pedaling efficiency uphill and very plush on the downhills and hits. Definitely ride one if you've got the chance.

The bike is important, but don't forget about the shop. You can end up with a great bike and really poor service, and have to talk to people you don't like every time you need work done on your bike. If the decision is close between bikes, go with the bike from the shop with people you get along with and know their stuff. Good luck!

EDIT: I think all of them are on either 2009 or 2010 GT Force Carbon Experts
    Pretty sick deal for a full carbon frame, full XT group, and Fox TALAS 110-150mm for $3k.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    GT "claims" their I-drive is really really good. Anyone backing that up here?
    I've got I-drive on the 2010 GT Sanction 1.0 which came with the Talas 36 RC2 FIT fork (love that fork), DHX 5.0 Air shock (just so-so), and Hammerschmidt (really like that - very smooth). Blinged it up with some CK hubs and DT Swiss FR600 rims.

The Sanction 1 at 34 pounds is a little more burly then either the Remedy or the Force (I'd consider it probably at the extreme burly end of AM) but still climbs decent and can really bomb the descents. Anyway, I really think you're on the right track with the type of rigs you're looking at as possible fun do-it-all bikes. Good luck!

As for the I-drive I really like it . . .

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Guys, thank you so much for all your input!
    I'm leaning more towards the GT because I have the 2009 GT carbon zaskar and it is an amazing hardtail. This is so hard! ha ha ha The trek looks amazing too! errrrrrr.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Before looking at the GT force, I was looking at the new 2011 GT Sanction 1.0. It looks like a beast! Very expensive tho. $5000+

Quote Originally Posted by roxnroots
    I've got I-drive on the 2010 GT Sanction 1.0 which came with the Talas 36 RC2 FIT fork (love that fork), DHX 5.0 Air shock (just so-so), and Hammerschmidt (really like that - very smooth). Blinged it up with some CK hubs and DT Swiss FR600 rims.

The Sanction 1 at 34 pounds is a little more burly then either the Remedy or the Force (I'd consider it probably at the extreme burly end of AM) but still climbs decent and can really bomb the descents. Anyway, I really think you're on the right track with the type of rigs you're looking at as possible fun do-it-all bikes. Good luck!

As for the I-drive I really like it . . .

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just recently purchased a '10 Trek Remedy 8 and I absolutely love it. For my size and riding style it climbs better that anything else I rode and feels extremely light at 30lbs for a 6" travel bike. I have done everything from short to 6hrs rides on it and never have come back with the kind of fatigue I used to deal with on my old bike.

What?
    I would second the diamonback mission. I spent a day on one that a friend of mine has and now I plan on getting one. Great bike.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast