Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If you haven't purchased something yet...

I've been looking for a similar type bike. Finally settled on getting full suspension after coming from a hardtail, but am looking for something that climbs as well as being fun on the way back down. I've test rode quite a few bikes so here are my opinions:

Giant Anthem 29er
    GF HiFi 29
    GF Rumblefish 1 29er

Having a bmx background, the 29er's felt HUGE! Maybe I'm too small (or weak), but they felt really difficult to bunny hop or even manual. You didn't say you were looking at a 29er so moving on...

Trek Fuel EX 8 and 9: Rode really well, but the travel seemed a little limiting for riding between trail and all-mountain. Also the price difference between the 8 and 9 is huge to get up in spec.

Yeti ASR5: Again rode really nice, but the geometry and size just didn't have the right "feel" for me

Trek Remedy 8: Again a very nice, plush ride but felt a little to slack for my style. Seemed a little more oriented towards the "down" end of spectrum.

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite: Seemed to fit my riding the best. Felt extremely lively (28 lbs for a M) and fun to play around on. I also liked the 140 mm of travel compared to the Fuel EX. To me the brain at the back also felt very nice. Coming from a hardtail it allowed me to set it and forget it. Felt nice and solid when pedaling, but great on impacts as well. I noticed I kept forgetting to either turn on or off the propedal on the other bikes (maybe i'm just a little slow ). I will be looking to get one as soon as possible if I don't find anything better

A few bikes left to try if I can locate them:
    Giant Trance
    Santa Cruz Blur LT
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 50

Whatever you end up with, hope its a blast!

Big Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas
    Scott genius!!!!! I don't know ANY other company putting out a better spec'd bike for the money. 150mm all around, lockout from full to 95mm to 150mm front an back with the flip of a switch, full carbon main frame, fox talas fork, X9 components, xt crank, an here's the kicker..... 27lbs!!!.
    I agree that it is a nice bike, and I do like Scott bikes, but for 3600 bucks there are alot of options with better spec than that. I would say Giant, Diamondback, and GT give quite a bit of bang for the buck not to mention fezzari and sette.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    Did you ever get a bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05
    I agree that it is a nice bike, and I do like Scott bikes, but for 3600 bucks there are alot of options with better spec than that. I would say Giant, Diamondback, and GT give quite a bit of bang for the buck not to mention fezzari and sette.
    I agree, there are a TON of options. But, I ask you, what better spec'd bike are you talking about for the same price? When I was looking at bikes all the companies you mentioned had good stuff out. Giant, you can look all you want at giants, but... for price they have no where near the spec an are way out on the weight scale. Weight isn't important to some, but to me it was extremely important for an all around xc/all mountain set up, you will not find a giant at 27 pounds. Diamondback has the mission series which was the original bike I wanted, but... again, a 30 pound bike, and... they only sell them at ***** sporting goods around here, no one else in new england even had a mission series so I couldn't even look at one within a 100 mile radius. Gt an fezzari I honestly don't know alot about. the only reason the genius 30 is 3600 is cuz of the carbon frame at 27 lbs. take a look at the genius 40, alum. frame for 3100.

http://www.scott-sports.com/us_en/pr...9/55565/217959

honestly haven't seen too many bikes with that spec in that price range. an NO ONE has a twinlock system an I use mine 50 times a ride an love it.
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Specialized Endruo. Bike magazine reviewed tons of MTBs in one of their issues and said the Endro climbed like a Trail bike yet descended like a Freeride bike.

that sounds ideal to me

they also really liked the Santa Cruz Nomad. those were probably their favorite two all mountain bikes
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

Big Boy
    I agree, there are a TON of options. But, I ask you, what better spec'd bike are you talking about for the same price? When I was looking at bikes all the companies you mentioned had good stuff out. Giant, you can look all you want at giants, but... for price they have no where near the spec an are way out on the weight scale. Weight isn't important to some, but to me it was extremely important for an all around xc/all mountain set up, you will not find a giant at 27 pounds. Diamondback has the mission series which was the original bike I wanted, but... again, a 30 pound bike, and... they only sell them at ***** sporting goods around here, no one else in new england even had a mission series so I couldn't even look at one within a 100 mile radius. Gt an fezzari I honestly don't know alot about. the only reason the genius 30 is 3600 is cuz of the carbon frame at 27 lbs. take a look at the genius 40, alum. frame for 3100.

http://www.scott-sports.com/us_en/pr...9/55565/217959

honestly haven't seen too many bikes with that spec in that price range. an NO ONE has a twinlock system an I use mine 50 times a ride an love it.

FWIW scott weighs their small frames without pedals, so for a large frame you are looking at 29.5 lbs.

-You can build a santa cruz heckler with the spxxc kit for around 26.5 lbs at $3150 with a really solid spec.
    -yeti 575 with enduro kit comes in under 29lbs with a solid spec for $3100
    -giant reign 1 has a very similar spec and I would think it is lighter than the genius 40 out of the box not to mention $400 less.
    -trek remedy 8 is $200 more, but has an almost identical spec and likely weighs less than the genius(i dont have real world weights for this though)
    -fezzari nebo peak( i dont know much about either) but its spec blows scott out of the water.

also, i think a 150mm bike is almost expected to have a thru axle fork these days, but the scott doesnt.

-the cannondale jekyll has a very similar suspension setup with remote adjustable travel, they do cost a bit more but that shock is out of the way of the mud, and its a fox which to me inspires a bit more confidence.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    have you ever considered that you dont necessarily have to drop 3k. i mean i ride a freakin diamond back coil ex for gods sake , and i can out ride in every aspect the handfull of guys at the locals ( old locals back in pa i live in OH now) that have 2-3K bikes. its not what you ride its how ya ride it man.
    i used to be a hot tar roofer, ya i remember that......day.

mtbr member
    FWIW scott weighs their small frames without pedals, so for a large frame you are looking at 29.5 lbs.

-You can build a santa cruz heckler with the spxxc kit for around 26.5 lbs at $3150 with a really solid spec.
    -yeti 575 with enduro kit comes in under 29lbs with a solid spec for $3100
    -giant reign 1 has a very similar spec and I would think it is lighter than the genius 40 out of the box not to mention $400 less.
    -trek remedy 8 is $200 more, but has an almost identical spec and likely weighs less than the genius(i dont have real world weights for this though)
    -fezzari nebo peak( i dont know much about either) but its spec blows scott out of the water.

also, i think a 150mm bike is almost expected to have a thru axle fork these days, but the scott doesnt.

-the cannondale jekyll has a very similar suspension setup with remote adjustable travel, they do cost a bit more but that shock is out of the way of the mud, and its a fox which to me inspires a bit more confidence.
    How do you know they weigh without pedals? according to the spec it comes with shimano spd's. If what you are saying is correct than they are false advertising. If they have a weight listed, an then have everything that the bike has listed below the weight, why do they have listed the pedals as part of the bike that is listed under that weight? which "fox shock" are you talking about? the rear rp23 vs the scott equalizer? I like the adjustability of both my RS revelation and my scott equalizer, both with +/- pressure adjustments and not to mention a pull shock which cannondale is just now coming out with...... like I said, I guess I'm coming from a different standpoint maybe, cuz I ride ALOT of xc, and all mountain and I wanted one bike.
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

Big Boy
    How do you know they weigh without pedals? according to the spec it comes with shimano spd's. If what you are saying is correct than they are false advertising. If they have a weight listed, an then have everything that the bike has listed below the weight, why do they have listed the pedals as part of the bike that is listed under that weight? which "fox shock" are you talking about? the rear rp23 vs the scott equalizer? I like the adjustability of both my RS revelation and my scott equalizer, both with +/- pressure adjustments and not to mention a pull shock which cannondale is just now coming out with...... like I said, I guess I'm coming from a different standpoint maybe, cuz I ride ALOT of xc, and all mountain and I wanted one bike.

I have owned Scott bikes and the weight is consistently 1.5-1.7 lbs higher than the weight advertised. It is pretty common practice to weigh a bike without pedals and a small or medium frame. I, like to have my weights with pedals to keep the field level. The jekyll has the same adjustability as the genius, but they have a name standing behind their proprietary rear shock that most people know and use on their bikes. And that name is "fox".

FWIW you cant even get a jekyll right now because c'dale lowered production numbers. And I do like Scott bikes. I have to say my biggest turnoff to the genius is the location of that rear shock. Its gonna take every rock and bit of mud your rear wheel flings. And sometimes I like to just keep it simple. Scott needs a 150mm spark.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    That would be a cold stop right there.

I am not sure about the benefits of adjustable rear suspension. Adjustable seatpost with a remote and occasional fork adjustment for a long climb, and a platform on switch on the rear shock and fork are all on the fly adjustments I seem to need. Well, with compression and rebound and preload tuned in once.

I noticed that once I installed an adjustable seatpost, I pretty much stopped using fork travel adjust, as I do not have to compromise with seatpost extension.

If what you are saying is correct than they are false advertising. If they have a weight listed, an then have everything that the bike has listed below the weight, why do they have listed the pedals as part of the bike that is listed under that weight?
    That's how pretty much every manufacturer out there who lists their complete bike weight operates. Unless it is hanging on your digital scale, and a photo is posted, all weights are just a ballpark figure.

Nothing wrong with Scott Genius, of course. Its a nice bike. Just everybody needs to know what they are getting.

mtbr member
    The snozberries taste like snozberries!

mtbr member
    for the adjustable rear suspension I guess you'd have to ride the same trail systems to see the benefit? where I ride... you'll be screamin on flat fast single track, come to a climb, an have it locked out to 95mm, then hit a tchnical down hill an instantly release everything to 150mm, then the trail takes a sharp turn at the bottom an your climbing another hill an putting it back to 95mm. I've had the pro-pedal an... I love having the adjustment on the bar with a flick of a switch. Most of the single track around here is mostly xc with some 2-4' drops thrown in the mix an a few down hills, but mostly short. I guess all I can say is... try it, that's why there's something out there for everyone.
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5