Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yes, all high end parts. You going to get a Lycra skin suit to go with it? LOL! Just kidding. It just looks a bit on the fem side to me. But WTF do I know? A few rides through the mud and a tumble or two down the mountain and it's good to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I did a lot of research in the fall looking for a bike to replace my broken 2002 Ellsworth Truth. I wanted a little more travel than the 4" Truth, but I didn't want to give up on the climbing. There were limited opportunities to test-drive, so I read a lot of reviews and rode what I could get my hands on (which wasn't necessarily set up for me or the right size for me, but it did help me decide more plush vs less plush, bike size, etc.). Here's what I narrowed down to:

Ibis Mojo SL - this is what I got; "soaks up obstacles and adapts to varied terrain"; good climber (but probably not as good a climber as the Yeti ASR5); DW link suspension a plus; excellent reviews; I love this bike--it descends confidently and is a great climber ; the SLX build retails for $3300

Yeti ASR5 - excellent reviews; great climber, but not as forgiving (i.e. requires more skill) on technical trails than other bikes I was considering

Yeti 575 - great bike; at the high end of the amount of travel I was considering; I was concerned that it wouldn't be as good a climber as the Ellsworth

Turner 5 Spot - great bike; very $$$; beefier and heavier than I need; DW link suspension

Turner Flux with 120mm fork - my second choice; great bike; very $$$; DW link suspension; decided to go for more travel; my husband just got one and we just put a 120mm fork on it-- I can't wait to try it; I'm sure I'll love it

Specialized FSR (Elite has no brain; Expert has a brain) - very nice bike, but I decided that I wanted a DW link bike; I have mixed feelings about the brain

Giant Trance (or Reign) - these bikes didn't hit my radar screen when I was looking, but knowing how much I love the Ibis and its DW link, these are worth considering as the suspension design is similar to the Ibis and you can get a nice build for $2800; would definitely consider one of these if I wanted to save a little $$ over the Ibis or if I was concerned about riding a carbon-frame bike

Ellsworth Epiphany - excellent reviews; very nice bike; very $$; decided I wanted a DW link bike

There are lots of other great choices out there as well--these are just bikes that have caught my eye.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Make sure you check out the Kona Tanuki. These guys have been making Mtn. Bikes for 20 years...they know their stuff!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hey Magnum,

You seem like you were on the fence about the Fezzari's like me.

I purchased a Cascade Peak 2011 last week. I also upgraded to Mavic Crosstrails to get a lighter set of tubeless wheels.

I took my first real ride yesterday down Mt. Lemmon here in Tucson.

I'm very happy with the bike. It has way more ability than I have skill.

I have been looking for a longer travel XC bike since I went to Outerbike last year. I LOVED the Santa Cruz Blur LT, but I didn't think it climbed all that great. I rode several other models, but had pretty much narrowed it down to the Trek Fuel EX8 (mainly because of the price compared to all of the other all mountain type bikes out there). I was able to ride the EX8 down Porcupine Rim at Outerbike, and although it's a great ride, it didn't convince me. So, I took another demo ride in Phoenix...same thing...not convinced.

Considering the Fezz's have a 30 Day Money Back Guarantee, I figured why not go ahead and get it...and if I don't like it...return it.

So, now that I have it, I think it's a very well performing bike.

It climbed very well and descended great. It also seemed very light. I've tried to weigh it and it said 26.x lbs, but that can't be right, but it's lighter than my Trek Fuel 90 for sure (which is only a 3 inch travel bike with SID fork, carbon handlebars and Sram X-9 drivetrain).

It bobs some, but no more than my Fuel or any other bike I've ridden (Santa Cruz, Trek, etc).

In all, I'm very pleased and don't think I'll be using that return policy.
    Last edited by will-lee wonka; 03-07-2011 at 01:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Here's a built up banshee rune on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Banshee-Rune-mou...#ht_500wt_1156

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by will-lee wonka
    Hey Magnum,

You seem like you were on the fence about the Fezzari's like me.

I purchased a Cascade Peak 2011 last week. I also upgraded to Mavic Crosstrails to get a lighter set of tubeless wheels.

I took my first real ride yesterday down Mt. Lemmon here in Tucson.

I'm very happy with the bike. It has way more ability than I have skill.

I have been looking for a longer travel XC bike since I went to Outerbike last year. I LOVED the Santa Cruz Blur LT, but I didn't think it climbed all that great. I rode several other models, but had pretty much narrowed it down to the Trek Fuel EX8 (mainly because of the price compared to all of the other all mountain type bikes out there). I was able to ride the EX8 down Porcupine Rim at Outerbike, and although it's a great ride, it didn't convince me. So, I took another demo ride in Phoenix...same thing...not convinced.

Considering the Fezz's have a 30 Day Money Back Guarantee, I figured why not go ahead and get it...and if I don't like it...return it.

So, now that I have it, I think it's a very well performing bike.

It climbed very well and descended great. It also seemed very light. I've tried to weigh it and it said 26.x lbs, but that can't be right, but it's lighter than my Trek Fuel 90 for sure (which is only a 3 inch travel bike with SID fork, carbon handlebars and Sram X-9 drivetrain).

It bobs some, but no more than my Fuel or any other bike I've ridden (Santa Cruz, Trek, etc).

In all, I'm very pleased and don't think I'll be using that return policy.

Hey thanks for the input. It seems that almost every fezzari rider is telling me that it IS a really good bike! I'm being more and more convinced that the Fezzari Nebo Peak is the correct choice to go with

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by magnum703
    Hey thanks for the input. It seems that almost every fezzari rider is telling me that it IS a really good bike! I'm being more and more convinced that the Fezzari Nebo Peak is the correct choice to go with
    Just wanted to give you an update. I ordered the two fezzarri's on Thursday Feb 24 and they were both at my door Wednesday the 2nd. Both bikes were set up perfectly for the measurements I gave them. I haven't had a chance to mount any cameras and shoot footage cause all of my free time has been spent riding. Lol. I couldn't be more happy. If anyone is thinking about getting a fezzarri but is on the fence about it, don't think twice and buy one. I bought the rockshox remote seat post with the bike, its sweet. I recommend picking it up with the bike. They charged me 230 for the upgrade and $30 to put a 185mm disc up front instead of the 160mm. I'm 280 lbs so I wanted a bit more up front. anyways, there's an update for you. buy one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    For around $3000 I'd recommend the Specialized Enduro Comp.

mtbr member
    Go for a slightly used Enduro Expert.
    There's a couple of them on Pink Bike right now for under 3K.

Big Boy
    If it were me I would get a Yeti 575. You can get a decent build under 3k. The original all mountain bike. I tested one, and this is by far my favorite bike. Im saving my pennies.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    i did the build it yourself route. not easy unless you know exactly what your doing. i don't recommend it for your first bike.

3k i would go the trek 8 or a giant reign 1.

pick up a 2010 model now. ive seen giant reign 1 for 2100

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ocwhiteboyoc
    Just wanted to give you an update. I ordered the two fezzarri's on Thursday Feb 24 and they were both at my door Wednesday the 2nd. Both bikes were set up perfectly for the measurements I gave them. I haven't had a chance to mount any cameras and shoot footage cause all of my free time has been spent riding. Lol. I couldn't be more happy. If anyone is thinking about getting a fezzarri but is on the fence about it, don't think twice and buy one. I bought the rockshox remote seat post with the bike, its sweet. I recommend picking it up with the bike. They charged me 230 for the upgrade and $30 to put a 185mm disc up front instead of the 160mm. I'm 280 lbs so I wanted a bit more up front. anyways, there's an update for you. buy one.

Right on, got any pics or ride report?
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    If I were to spend 3k, I would hope the bike had a little more cache than a specialized. meh.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    +1 on the Yeti 575

mtbr member
    did you ever decide on a bike or were you just wondering?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ocwhiteboyoc
    I had a Trek fuel 8 that I paid 2200 for last year, and I've had my 2010 Fezzari Cascade Peak for around 2 weeks now, that i paid 1800 for. Put about 60 miles on it, and I am hooked. It climbs like a mountain goat, and the pedal bob is minimal. It pedals so smooth I haven't even used the suspension lockouts. Their customer service was awesome when I was ordering, and I loved being able to call up the factory and talk to a person without having to go through a machine. These guys know their stuff and put out an awesome product. I would take it over the Trek any day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Alright, I'm pretty sold on the Fezzari Peak. Thanks guys. Don't see any other bike beating it

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Which one? They are all named after peaks ;-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by will-lee wonka
    Which one? They are all named after peaks ;-)
    Set on the Nebo Peak!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    well......? did you buy one?

mtbr member
    If I were you I would be more confused than ever reading this.

I have a GT Force 3.0 and purchased it as my first full suspension. It looks like I will be upgrading to the Carbon Expert within the next month. My only complaint with my 3.0 is that it had sh#@y components You get what you pay for. No complaints on the suspension.

Also, I will throw this in there.This is my opinion. The 69 head angle in my eyes is for someone who attacks the trail. It is a little twitcie on very slow terrain compared to my HT with less slack.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If you're in Canada you should at least take a peek at Opus. The Clutch 1 is attainable in the $3300 range and has a pretty bling parts spec. The Clutch 2 street price is under $3k. Not as swanky as the 1 but a pretty good spec all the same. The head angle is a degree slacker on the 1. Catalog frames but they're pretty nice. I have the predecessor to the Clutch (Maadh3). Even with a non-platform shock it pedals really well and hooks up nicely on technical climbs. The BB is lowish so despite a 69 degree HA it descends pretty well. Good bang for the buck.

http://www.opusbike.com/en/bikes_6_18-18-clutch.html

bikeboatbrewski
    I'll sell you my 09 Cdale moto4 for $2000, of course if you want to pay $3K that would be fine too.

mtbr member
    Scott genius!!!!! I don't know ANY other company putting out a better spec'd bike for the money. 150mm all around, lockout from full to 95mm to 150mm front an back with the flip of a switch, full carbon main frame, fox talas fork, X9 components, xt crank, an here's the kicker..... 27lbs!!!

http://www.scott-sports.com/us_en/pr...9/55551/217957

By the way, since when was a trek fuel or stumpjumper in the ALL MOUNTAIN category? IMO it's a xc bike, through an through. I guess I'm kindof biased as... you get $h!t for specs with trek/specialized for the amount ofmoney you have to spend.
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    I just bought a 2011 Yeti 575 ($2800) from my LBS after a ton of research and I feel I made the right decision. Good Luck.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast