Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rhale
    I just recently purchased a '10 Trek Remedy 8 and I absolutely love it. For my size and riding style it climbs better that anything else I rode and feels extremely light at 30lbs for a 6" travel bike. I have done everything from short to 6hrs rides on it and never have come back with the kind of fatigue I used to deal with on my old bike.
    Alright, 2 on Remedy 8 now!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Spesh Enduro (Comp in your budget) is also a very viable option. I picked my 2011 for under $3000 out of the door.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I've got an 2011 remedy 8. love it. On my second remedy, had the 2009 remedy 9. Had an I drive bike in 2006/2007. i drive works, remedys great too. can't go wrong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ok I guess all of them are just great bikes.... ha ha o crap so hard to choose...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just another thought, I bet you can get a slightly used killer bike for that kind of money. I know you are hesitant to build your own, but believe me, it's rather simple with you tube and all the info on the net. good luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnum703
    Ok I guess all of them are just great bikes.... ha ha o crap so hard to choose...
    You no choose now! you RIDE now!

mtbr member
    2014 Tallboy 2

b a n n e d
    I'm surprised to see only one mention of the Santa Cruz Blur LT2.

5" travel bike with a proven suspension design and relaxed geometry that climbs as effectively as it goes down. I'd definitely put that on my "short list" of bikes to demo, no doubt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Another recommendation for the Blur LT. It's a hard bike to beat if your looking for a do everything bike. Course it is what I ride so I'm a little biased.

mtbr member
    Problem is many bikes are just unavailable to demo. Foes, Turner and Intense to name a few....so just saying go ride them isn't always just that easy. I agree w/ the concept but everyone always recommends the big boys...guess all the advertisement pays off eh?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by X-FXR
    I agree w/ the concept but everyone always recommends the big boys...guess all the advertisement pays off eh?
    Or we like the bike(s) that they make. A company doesn't get big without reason.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedoflife
    Or we like the bike(s) that they make. A company doesn't get big without reason.
    Other makers make good bikes as well. But the smaller bike companies don't mass produce and force bike shops to buy all these floor models. Marketing and advertisements are what made these companies big not just the bikes that make them big... I personally would rather deal w/ a company that I can talk to and finds a way to be competitive w/o being the huge conglomerate. Now where is that Cool Aid.....
    Last edited by X-FXR; 03-02-2011 at 09:34 AM.

mtbr member
    All true, but if you are buying an intense, you aren't on here going "Please tell me what bike I want!" You already kinda know...

mtbr member
    That picture of the trek. Is that a photograph, or some kind of CAD rendering?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    + on Reign 1

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Before looking at the GT force, I was looking at the new 2011 GT Sanction 1.0. It looks like a beast! Very expensive tho. $5000+
    Not necessarily that expensive if you were to wait until late this summer/early fall. I waited until the end-of-year clearance at Performance late last summer and timed to buy mine when they were opening a new store in my area with additional opening-day discounts then threw the whole thing on my money-back CC which I pay the balance in full every month.

Rig out the door with tax was $2500. Even with all the upgrades and extra bling like Straitline pedals, etc. I'm still under $4K total on it. I'm guessing that increased materials cost are driving prices up because the 2010 Sanction 1 was retailing at $4200 at Performance last spring.

You're right, the Sanction 1 is a beast (maybe more than what you need where you ride) but its still fun in a variety of terrain and trail surface. I ride in Pennsylvania with a lot of rocky ground so the 6.5" suspension's great for that. As for the 2011 a few components look better then 2010's stock but others less. The 2010 came in black which I love - 2011 not so much.
    Last edited by roxnroots; 02-24-2011 at 04:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    +1 for the Sanction. I've got a 1.0 2010 model but with rockshox domains (so lets call it a 1.5 ) and I love it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    This GT may be more suitable for your terrain. 2010 models may be available for around 2400.00. I demo'ed the 2010 model and it was a very nice bike.

I have either ridden or owned many of the other bikes that others are recommending, and to tell the truth, they're all pretty much great bikes. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Although I'd stay away from anything with more than 6" of travel.

http://www.gtbicycles.com/bikes/moun...0-gloss-silver

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for your input!

1 - I ride basically on everything lol. Smooth, rough, not too technical, ups and downs, small to medium jumps here and there.

2 - Not much of a racer. Just love to enjoy the sport. You know... being in the woods, ripping up the trails after work!

I don't think it's a good idea for me to put together my bike. I do small maintaince here and there but I don't have the confidence to do it myself! Especially on a 3k bike!
    For your riding, I think a Trek Fuel EX 8/9 is perfect. It's like an AM bike with the DCRV shock in the back and plenty of travel in the front for most thing thrown at it.

My mtb riding is similar to yours (I'm mostly a roadie) and got a 2011 EX 8 this winter. It's a blast to ride and chose it over a top of the line Cannondale even though it would cost about the same (military price deal).

mtbr member
    i just picked up a Stumpy FSR Elite so I'd recommend that. Climbs really well with the Brain shock and i really like the 2x10 drivetrain. I got the XL which is a hair over 29lbs (on a bathroom scale) but it comes with the tubeless kit which can drop it to the mid 28s

I'm with stupid
    Plus however many on the sanction and idrive. Very fun bike that pedaled well and i didnt have to flip a switch on the shock to get it to climb like trek and my spec enduro. I like the geo of my enduro but the bucking on square hits and pedal feedback on climbs annoys me. My buddy has a force and loves it as well. They are sweet bikes thats for sure.

usually cranky
    it seems to me you be better off sick in the 5-5.5'' class aka: sc blt2, sc nickle, giant trance x, jamis xct, yeti 575.

mtbr member

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by X-FXR
    Problem is many bikes are just unavailable to demo. Foes, Turner and Intense to name a few....so just saying go ride them
    isn't always just that easy. I agree w/ the concept but everyone always recommends the big boys...guess all the advertisement pays off eh?
    The OP might be able to find a few less readily available rides to try out if he posts a message in his home turf MTBR forum (or local bike club).

I recommend getting a used $4-6k bike for $2500 or so as opposed to paying full price for a brand new mass marketed rig. I bought a used '09 Turner Sultan
    that had the component mix I was looking for (and would never pay for new at retail prices) and it has been totally awesome.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast