mtbr member
    Sep 2008

$2k Budget, better/cheaper to build or to buy new complete?

Curious what is everyones take on this matter, with a $2k budget, is it better to build a bike or buy new? I was looking at an 08 Trek EX 7 at my LBS ($1900), pretty sweet ride, but the BMC Superstoke frame on jenson at $580 is looking quite tempting. What would you do, buy new and be done with it, or buy the BMC frame and with the remaining $1400 buy all necessary parts.

I'm noticing how insanely expensive forks are nowadays, after a 5 yr hiatus from the sport, I see forks have tripled in price, I almost got ill when I saw forks going for $900 a pop, must be quite the nice profit margin there. So I'd imagine the forks would eat up a good chunk of the build fund, of course thats depending on how much fork I wanted/needed....Anyways...what would yield me the better bike, the 08 EX7 or the built bmc?

Seeeriously easy Livin
    depends how thrify your willing to be, and if you can stick to a budget. That superstroke frame would be a great start, best bet for a fork would be a model year close out, or new fork takeoffs on ebay if your willing to risk no warranty. Great deals on parts can be found online, look for build kits. There is a lot more satisfaction to be had when you can pick your oun parts and have your own unique bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thats really tough. I built up a Trek Fuel EX9 for about $850 total. BUT, if I had built it up with original retail quality components, I am not sure I could have done it for much less than the new price. The Talas fork, for example, would have cost (almost?) as much as the whole build!

I think maybe that it is important to identify the "must haves" you desire on the bike and price it both ways. For me , the only "must haves" were a sufficient fork (318 Tora Soloair) and a sufficient shock (stock) and sufficient brakes (BB7s) and sufficient wheels. So I was able to build a MUCH cheaper (not better) bike and still have 85-95% of the EX9 experience.

mmm
    You can get a great bike for 2k. Have you seen the 09 Trances?

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/2272/32147/

Its a SOLID build for 2050.

Fox Float front work
    Hayes Stroker Rydes hydraulic brakes
    Kenda Nevegals
    WTB rear hub

If you need something burlier the Reign 2 is 2150.

Also that Super Stroke frame looks hefty. Jenson says its 9 lbs??
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhood
    Thats really tough. I built up a Trek Fuel EX9 for about $850 total. BUT, if I had built it up with original retail quality components, I am not sure I could have done it for much less than the new price. The Talas fork, for example, would have cost (almost?) as much as the whole build!

I think maybe that it is important to identify the "must haves" you desire on the bike and price it both ways. For me , the only "must haves" were a sufficient fork (318 Tora Soloair) and a sufficient shock (stock) and sufficient brakes (BB7s) and sufficient wheels. So I was able to build a MUCH cheaper (not better) bike and still have 85-95% of the EX9 experience.
    I'm pretty much right there with you, I'm not real concerned about xt components and what not, i just want a decent front fork, decent wheels, BB7's and a decent saddle. Where did you find a ex9 frame for so cheap? And all of your parts?

Thanks

Big Gulps, Alright!
    You can build a nice bike for $2k, you just have to be a smart shopper and a little patient. I'd go with a lightly used fork to drop the price down. Check craigslist and the classifieds here.

mtbr member
    A good thing to ponder on first and foremost is which frame fits you better. The Fuel Ex is more on the XC side of AM while the Superstroke with it's hefty-overbuilt frame is more on the FR side. Also worth considering is the suspension platform since BMC has a short-4 bar parallel link v.s. the faux bar of the Fuel EX.
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

mtbr member
    Can you build a bike for less. Of course. As one poster noted, he did it for just shy of $900.

Can you get the same quality for less by building it up. Probably not. The manufacturers get such a discount on components that it would generally cost you close to the whole bike price just to buy the components.

backwoods and backwards
    Fit is key. Shopping around for complete bikes allows you to test ride a bunch of things. Having a good shop to fall back on is also worth something in my opinion. My pick for 2k would be the Pitch comp or the Trance.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I built up a 2007 Spec Enduo last year for less than $2,200. All parts were NEW... some close outs, some eBay, some MTBR classifieds. Took less than 1 wk to find all the parts and just a couple of days to build. I picked up a set of tires not listed below from my LBS for $50. I have changed out the rear shock and the fork since the build... which is not in the outlined prices below. Everything else is still running strong almost a year later. Prices below are shipped to my door prices.

Frame New Enduro Elite 2007 with DXH Air $500
    Rims Mavic 823 (included spokes and 20mm hum) $150
    Rear Hub Hadley $285
    Cassette Shimano XT $65
    Chain XTR $35
    CrankSet XT 2008 model $159
    Brakes Avid Juicy 7 203mm $299
    Seat Post Easton $49
    Shifters & Rear Derailluer X9 $140
    Front Deraillure XT 2008 model $ 35
    Stem & Bars Truvativ $ 40
    Fork 55 TST2 $350

Total $2,107.00

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nickgto
    A good thing to ponder on first and foremost is which frame fits you better. The Fuel Ex is more on the XC side of AM while the Superstroke with it's hefty-overbuilt frame is more on the FR side. Also worth considering is the suspension platform since BMC has a short-4 bar parallel link v.s. the faux bar of the Fuel EX.
    Thanks for the input, but to be honest I'm not entirely familiar with differences in the 2 frames, 4 bar vs faux bar? Also i'm just looking to ride it, I don't really get all the terms nowadays, Freeride, XC, remember when it was just mountain biking?!?

The area i'm riding now is mostly rolling hills, not any long steep climbs, so no big DH stuff, but that could change in the next year as a move up north is in my possible future.

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by Herm99
    Thanks for the input, but to be honest I'm not entirely familiar with differences in the 2 frames, 4 bar vs faux bar? Also i'm just looking to ride it, I don't really get all the terms nowadays, Freeride, XC, remember when it was just mountain biking?!?

The area i'm riding now is mostly rolling hills, not any long steep climbs, so no big DH stuff, but that could change in the next year as a move up north is in my possible future.
    The 08 Fuel is actually not a faux bar, otherwise known as a single pivot linkage. It's actually an ABP or active braking pivot design... do a search if you'd like to figure out more about each design, there's been lots written on it. I think the Fuel would work best for you if you aren't intending to ride too much aggressive turrain. If you'd like to hone your downhill skills a little more check out the BMC.
    Bike good, work bad.

mmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Herm99

It sounds like you're eager to buy a mtn bike but unsure of what to get. My best advice is to go out there to local bike shops and test as many bikes as possible. See if your bike stores offer any upcoming trail demos. Then you can decide if you want a "trail" bike like the Ex7 or a burlier bike like the Super Stroke.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Notice where I spent the money. Total build was $2,200 and the frame was $500. Frame is less than 25% of build price. If you build using quality components you can always move components to a new / used frame.... eBay is full of frames. If you build the bike and don't like the size then buy a larger or smaller frame, if you don't like the model then buy a different model, and move the components. I have one set of components that has now been on 3 different frames: all in the last 18 months. I built a Scott frame, then a Cannondale, and now the same components are on a Specialized frame. eBay is full of frames...cheap

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What would be a good mid range fork that would be readily available on ebay? Would like a minimum of 140mm travel. I see alot of used forks on ebay and not really sure what is good now and what isn't. Is the Fox Float fork any good?

mtbr member

Just Went Through This

i just completed building up my own bike for the first time. i had thought about this alot as i wanted to build a bike to my own specs after only buying through bike shops. it was basically a franken-bike project that started a year ago when planning to build a transition covert. i picked up a shock on ebay and the dt swiss wheelset from craigslist but was waiting for them to update the frame design due to tire rub. finally i got sick of waiting. i made a list of 5-10 frames i was interested in; they needed to have 5.5-6" of travel, pedal very well, good reputation, ability to be built sub 32 lbs, etc. i then made a spreadsheet of all of the major components w/ 3 or 4 options for each that i wanted. then i started mining ebay, c.list, mtbr, pinkbike, ridemonkey, friends, etc.

thoughts: i really like having exactly the parts that i want on my bike! it's pretty cool to be able to select everything. however, there are setbacks and headaches. the brakes were a new bike take off and the lines were too short. the lbs put on goodridge hoses when i asked them to go the standard route. as the frame and shock were used, i had to have the shock serviced. things like this drastically bump up the price. however, i was aiming in the $1600-$2000 range and basically hit the high end goal. not the end of the world as i plan on selling my coilair. i also found out my deficiencies when it comes to bike knowledge, despite riding and tinkering w/ my bikes for 12 years (bleeding brakes, bottom brackets). regarding the costs, you have to be patient if you go this route. i was shopping for fork w/ travel reduction (36 talas, wotan, or lyrik). put in a low bid on the lyrik u turn, brand new, and got it for $480 w/ shipping on ebay! had i not waited and been patient, i easily could have gotten close to $3k overall for the bike.

seeing as my rambling has gotten out of control, i'll end it here. i included a link and description below.

build: size L 2007 yeti 575
    lyrik u turn, dhx air 5.0
    formula oro k24 w/ goodridge hoses
    dt swiss 5.1's, marz. front hub and xt rear
    thomson 70mm stem
    race face atlas low rise am bars
    odi lock on's
    x9 shifters, rear der. lx front
    truvativ stylo bb and cranks
    time atac z pedals.
    generic post w/ salsa clamp and wtb seat.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=365287&page=22

mtbr member

one more thing

the best part happens on the trail or in parking lots of your local lbs. i came out of a lbs recently to see a couple people around my truck looking at the build. it's pretty cool when people say "is this your bike? that's the perfect build and exactly how i'd like to build one up."
    i guess that made the wait worth it. what's more important is that it feels awesome to ride the damn thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    complete is typically the way to go for a budget, but then again I've never paid retail price for anything.

My favorite pic for $2k is the GT Sanction 2.0. Flippin' sweet bike. I wanted the 1.0, but never could get my hands on one.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=3050

Also check out the '08 Cannondale Prophet 2 if there are any left out there...

Granted, with the economy going screwy, it's a buyer's market (especially on ebay), so feel free to build to get what you want. I saw a '09 Rockshox Revelation 426 w/ maxle sell for $203 the day the market fell so bad! I was going to buy it but was having financial trouble myself that day.

Rub it............
    I built a FS XC bike from frame up. But I eneded up around $2500 total. My biggest expenses were the frame at $500 and the suspension fork at $479.00. All my other parts were purchased from either Cambria Bike or Ebay.

I got some really sweet deals from Ebay sellers due to multiple purchases from the same person. I re-equipped my hardtail at the same time with the same drivetrain as my FS bike, so he cut me a break on some of the parts because I asked nicely.

But the upside is I built my bike to the level that I wanted. If I purchased a complete bike with similar components, I would be around $5-600 more. Maybe even higher than that. Also by doing this game me really great insight on how everything works and how to make adjustments and maintain it properly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You will need special tools for headseat, crank, chain, and cassette. Or your LBS could fix it with fee, off course.
    Nuel, 2 go down, got to go up 1st.

Huh?
    A good fork to really check out is the Manitou Sherman Firefly Plus. I've seen them go for 150 on eBay.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    you stated that you have been out of cycle for a few years...one end of the spectrum would state "get a complete bike" the other end would say "build'r up," i would say just for the uniqueness (or the you factor) and knowledge gained via a build is to build'r up! i just built up my college campus cruiser (00 moab 2) into a stellar xc bike:

rock shox revelation u-turn - 400
    azonic wheelset - 220
    kenda k-rad tires - 40
    hayes hfx 9 (7"/6") - 90

considering that i have over 3500 miles on it basically stock it was time for a build up...what i got was a new bike for $750 (not subtracting the old components i sold) and do not regret any of it...

currently (during this winter) i am building up a 05 kona coiler dee lux...with all components choosen and priced i am looking at under $2k including used frame:

frame - 300
    07 fox talas - 500
    transition wheelset - 290
    race face stem/handlebars - 65
    hayes hfx 9 brakes - 130
    xt shifters - 100
    slx crank - 150
    wtb seat - 50
    slx frnt der - 50
    xt rear der - 80
    xt cassette - 65
    xt chain - 25
    oury lock-on grips - 20
    wtb weirwolf tires - 60

i will have myself an all mountain bike that is unique...that is "mine" for less than $1900...with a similar price i could have picked up a 07 kona coiler deluxe for $1999 from wheelworld but that would not have been as fun...good luck!!!
    Bikes + Wedding = Less Bikes