Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Big Boy

$2400 AM bike options

So, ive got a budget of $2400 tops, and I am having trouble choosing a bike. The only other bike I have is a rigid SS 29er so I am looking for something to cover everything else. Mostly trails, but I like to take the rougher lines and I like hucking but never more than 4-5 feet. I am selling a HT 29er bc i want something more suited to my style. My lbs carries Scott bikes, and I do like the genius line, but I havent seen one out on the trails, and there arent many reviews. Also, another lbs has an el guapo frame and fork on sale, but my drivetrain and cockpit and wheels would be very budgeted. I am not against used bikes. I tested a blur lt and liked it alot, but i cant afford it. I am thinking around 150-160 mm travel. Any suggestions or ideas? Bikes I am also considering are the butcher but i havent heard really good stuff about the single pivot. I am also looking at trek remedy and giant reign. Any advice?
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Big Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11

Very nice bike...but, I am looking for something with some squish under my butt. Preferably 150mm or more.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Back in Dec I picked up a 2011 Enduro Comp for ~$2400, out the door.
    The shop was doing a %15 off sale on all new bikes.

I thought it was a great deal, so I'm not sure if any of your LBS's would give you a similar deal.

I'd also recommend looking at the Stumpjumper lineup.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i've got a mate getting one of these
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbi...ke.html?b=2084
    which seem to have a pretty nice spec. Don't know anything about them though?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11
    I like your style.

Crash Test Dummy
    You ever thought of a Felt Redemption? It has 160mm of travel front and rear, climb great and can easily attack the downhill trails. I have a Felt Redemption Team and I absolutely love it.

Thanks to the bike equilink suspension system it remains fully active without giving you pedal bob. It makes it a very predictable bike and very comfortable to ride.

Not sure if you do ebay but there is one on there now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FELT-REDEMPTION-...item1c1a68ac96

Equilink suspension explanation and details:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ovNYybL2OE

Honestly dude, it only took me one ride to be hooked. I used to ride a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite and the Felt Redemption does everything it did but 5 times better.

Big Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by CraptacularOne
    You ever thought of a Felt Redemption? It has 160mm of travel front and rear, climb great and can easily attack the downhill trails. I have a Felt Redemption Team and I absolutely love it.

Thanks to the bike equilink suspension system it remains fully active without giving you pedal bob. It makes it a very predictable bike and very comfortable to ride.

Not sure if you do ebay but there is one on there now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FELT-REDEMPTION-...item1c1a68ac96

Equilink suspension explanation and details:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ovNYybL2OE

Honestly dude, it only took me one ride to be hooked. I used to ride a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite and the Felt Redemption does everything it did but 5 times better.
    I will definitely check that out. we got a lbs that carries felt. very clever engineering too.

Crash Test Dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05
    I will definitely check that out. we got a lbs that carries felt. very clever engineering too.

The only problem you may have with the LBS is that if they have or can get a Redemption for you as they are not made anymore. For some reason Felt decided to move away from the bigger travel bikes and concentrate on trail/XC bikes like the Virtue. Don't get me wrong the Virtue is an excellent bike and features the same equilink setup but it only has 130mm of travel. So fi you're looking for a beefier bike you're gonna have to ask if they can get any Redemptions.

Another bike you may want to consider is the Felt Compulsion

http://cgi.ebay.com/Felt-Compulsion-...item43a302d9ca

It's a lighter all mountain type bike that features 150mm of travel. But unfortunately Felt decided to stop making them for the 2011 model year.

In my opinion, the Redemption is the best all mountain bike I've ever ridden. It climbs very good, is comfortable so riding all day is no problem and it rips in the drops and jumps.

I hear the Compulsion is excellent too from some people that have them at my local trails.

banned

'09 Jamis XAM 2

I have had many a bike and I have been pleased with this. Unless you are a total bike snob, its a great deal.

mtbr member
    I have about the same budget and I've been looking at the Giant Reign 2 and Stumpjumper Comp.

mtbr member
    DB mission 3

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Might Consider the GT Force 2

Bloodied but Unbowed
    2009 or 2010 Marin Mount Vision or Attack Trail can be had on old stock blow out from a number of retailers with some careful research. Either year and either model make a great ride and IMO better bang for the buck than pretty much anything mentioned above, with no disrespect to these otherwise fine bikes.

The Attack Trail is more of an AM rig and has geometry making it well suited to ascending and especially descending, and at 6" of suspenion is a real nice ride that is still very capable in more XC oriented situaitons.

I own one of each. The AT is an awesome all-arounder.

The 2011 MV is even better but well out of the stated budget.

May or may not work for you, but I'd suggest reading the reviews and the awards, worth a look.

Big Boy
    that 2010 db mission 3 looks like a great option. at 2000 i could change out the little things that dont work (saddle, pedals, etc). Looks like a really heavy linkage system though. Also looks kinda gimmicky. thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    looks like the mission 3 is generally liked

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05
    that 2010 db mission 3 looks like a great option. at 2000 i could change out the little things that dont work (saddle, pedals, etc). Looks like a really heavy linkage system though. Also looks kinda gimmicky. thoughts?
    The DB mission bikes are a great value. I just ordered a mission 2. I have yet to ride mine yet but it seems like a very well built bike and ive owned DBs in the past and they have never let me down. Also the knucklebox linkage system has gotten great reviews as well. For the money I honestly dont think you can beat it. Buy it through Nashbar and you can get it for even cheaper with their coupon codes.

mtbr member
    I was literally was in the same boat. I have a 29er single speed and was looking for another bike for everything else. I went with a Specialized Enduro Comp. I love it! I was on a $2500 budget and went to my local Specialized store and asked if he would do $2500 OTD. got it for $2500 plus tax. Here's a pic. Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 00 AM bike options-dpp_0002.jpg  

Vassago VerHauen
    Ibis Ripley.

mtbr member
    Yep missions are great value (hard to beat) and ride amazing. Got one last week and hit my local trails. Stuff I wouldnt normally hit on my HT I was just going for it jumping of everything and taking the most exteme lines with no problems, So much fun!! Im sure there are other bikes that would be great but man its fun!! I got the 09 mission 1, so its the bottom of the range but still sweet with fox RP2. I got it for under $1000!!! and amazing bike for the price! The 2 and 3 have great gear but were out of my price range.The frame and linkage system seem solid and work well. Propedal up and bottomless on the way down. Bit excited I know but these med travel (AM? rigs) are so much fun. Which ever bike you choose get ready for good times!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OperatorBo
    I was literally was in the same boat. I have a 29er single speed and was looking for another bike for everything else. I went with a Specialized Enduro Comp. I love it! I was on a $2500 budget and went to my local Specialized store and asked if he would do $2500 OTD. got it for $2500 plus tax. Here's a pic. Good luck!

Thats a cool lookin bike. I love the color scheme.

Big Boy

That is a sweet bike. I test rode a 2010 enduro comp and i did like it, but unfortunately they are several hundred out of my budget. I know i should just suck it up and spend the extra cash, but where do you stop? If I can drop 2700 then why not drop 3000 and get a jekyll? etc etc. Might call some other shops that carry spesh and see if they could get a hold of a 2010 old stock and get a deal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I would go with the EG! Of course I am partial as I own one. Here is the truth, I hace the EG and a Mojo. The Mojo is a truly outstanding bike, however......unless there some weight weenie snobs looking to lay the wood down on me. You'll find me on my El Guapo. I bought the frame and shock for right at a grand and then spent a couple more building it, came in right at 3K. Probably could have done it for 5 or 6 less. I went with a 1.5' 36mm fork with a 20mm thru axel, a 1X9 set up. I run 203mm up fnt with a 185 in the rear. Mavic Crossmax SX with 2.3 Nevegals fox trail riding. I switch to Sun Ringle DH rims and 2.5 rubber for lift rides. This bike loves it, if I can't climb it then you can bet it is a bad butted climb. It loves the downhills, the uglier the better. Just my .02

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i got a pitch pro last year for 1900 left over love it went up the mountains a few times last year and the bike rode great.also climb very well i do mostly cross country riding and it goes great

mtbr member
    Nice work on getting 17% off sticker.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    what about the SC Nickel here for 2600... or maybe a different nickel build

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/featuredbikes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast