Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Clydesdale by CHOICE!!!!!
    STAY AWAY FROM FELT I have a 2007 virtue 3 and yeah the equilink works great but I had to carry extra grade 8 bolts for the main bolt directly behind the BB because it would last about 5 rides before it would snap. Not only that but in order to tighten the main bolt behind the BB you had to remove the large chain ring, so I disregarded the large ring altogether because it was such a chronic issue. Eventually all the pivot point bolt holes for the rear triangle stripped out, now it sits in my back yard collecting dust. The main problem with Felt's full susp bikes that I can see is; at every pivot point with the exception of the lower BB bolt is that they they use 2 bolts coming in from either side to hold the rear triangle (or swing arm whatever you want to call it) in place on the seat down tube. To me that is just to many potential moving parts. The newer Redemptions have the same setup. That was my first full suspension bike and it was a relatively expensive learning experience. If I was to get another full susp bike I would go for a Specialized enduro I have thoroughly inspected their design and they use stout bolts that go completely through the frame to connect the rear triangle to the frame instead of using 2 at every pivot point.

Now I ride my old DJ chase that I turned into an AM. I have fell back in love with hardtails (no pun intended ) Now I want to build a hardtail that is more suitable for all day long rides in the hills.

By the way I'm 5' 8" 200 pounds and yeah I like to huck drops, jump, rail turns, just like you mentioned you do as well and same gos for me nothing bigger than 4-5 foot drops.

Crash Test Dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by rcp916
    STAY AWAY FROM FELT I have a 2007 virtue 3 and yeah the equilink works great but I had to carry extra grade 8 bolts for the main bolt directly behind the BB because it would last about 5 rides before it would snap. Not only that but in order to tighten the main bolt behind the BB you had to remove the large chain ring, so I disregarded the large ring altogether because it was such a chronic issue. Eventually all the pivot point bolt holes for the rear triangle stripped out, now it sits in my back yard collecting dust. The main problem with Felt's full susp bikes that I can see is; at every pivot point with the exception of the lower BB bolt is that they they use 2 bolts coming in from either side to hold the rear triangle (or swing arm whatever you want to call it) in place on the seat down tube. To me that is just to many potential moving parts. The newer Redemptions have the same setup. That was my first full suspension bike and it was a relatively expensive learning experience. If I was to get another full susp bike I would go for a Specialized enduro I have thoroughly inspected their design and they use stout bolts that go completely through the frame to connect the rear triangle to the frame instead of using 2 at every pivot point.

Now I ride my old DJ chase that I turned into an AM. I have fell back in love with hardtails (no pun intended ) Now I want to build a hardtail that is more suitable for all day long rides in the hills.

By the way I'm 5' 8" 200 pounds and yeah I like to huck drops, jump, rail turns, just like you mentioned you do as well and same gos for me nothing bigger than 4-5 foot drops.
    Haven't had a single problem with my Redemption and I ride it 2-3 times a week 30 miles at a time. I've had it since 08 and it's still just as beastly as it was the 1st day I rode it. I'm 5'10" 205 myself for the record. And trust me I'm not easy on my bikes. 6-8 foot drops to flat, bombing downhill runs, jumps....ect. This bike has been pretty much bullet proof for me.

On a side note, every bike manufacturer has some problematic bikes. It's a bit of a stretch to say that since you had an issue that the whole Felt line is faulty.

My Redemption. I got it as a frame and built it up from there.
    Last edited by CraptacularOne; 03-28-2011 at 11:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Go take a look at the Giant Reign 2 on your list. I actually just got a new 2010 for $1500 (normal sticker is $2150) because it was a leftover from last year. Fantastic bike. Climbs like a goat, active suspension while on the brakes, pedals great, an honest 30 lb 6" am bike (no pedals). I'm a 235 lb rider (with a filled camelbak) and I ride hard east coast rocky technical trails. I beat the hell out of my bikes and I love the Reign.

Like eauxgod, I had a Jamis. Mine was originally a 2003 Jamis XLT (when they had Horst Link rear) and it was a great bike. I broke the frame in 2005 and, unfortunately, the replacement frame (great company warranty), and the current design, was a faux 4-bar. I hated the inactive rear, while braking, of the faux 4-bar. It is basically a single pivot design with the same lack of active braking.

If your trails are not to technical, rear suspension design may not be a big deal. However, you claim you like the rougher lines and you are listing 6" AM bikes. If you want to test a bikes "active braking" there is an easy showroom test you can perform. Squeeze both brake levers as hard as you can and then push down on the seat. If the rear suspension doesn't move now, it wont in the rough while braking. I'm not pushing any particular suspension design, just as long as it's active ALL the time.

Clydesdale by CHOICE!!!!!
    Ya CraptacularOne your right, but it just sucks when the first real expensive purchase you make on your first full susp bike turns out to be such a lemon. When something like that happens I usually stay away from that particular brand and never use em again tho considering your spending 1500 + dollars.

I definitely miss full suspension tho. I remember the very first ride on her and how my mind was totally blown after that and then within the first year it just fell apart. I was mad/sad to say the least.

Crash Test Dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by rcp916
    Ya CraptacularOne your right, but it just sucks when the first real expensive purchase you make on your first full susp bike turns out to be such a lemon. When something like that happens I usually stay away from that particular brand and never use em again tho considering your spending 1500 + dollars.

I definitely miss full suspension tho. I remember the very first ride on her and how my mind was totally blown after that and then within the first year it just fell apart. I was mad/sad to say the least.
    Totally understandable that you'd be upset about it. I'd be ticked too. Did you contact Felt about it? They warranty their frames for life. And are very good about working with their customers. A friend of mine rides a Felt '09 AR2 (road bike) and when he discovered a hairline fracture in the carbon fiber on the rear triangle, they shipped him a brand new frame which he got in about a week.

Big Boy
    another LBS sells Orbea and Kona. Anybody know much about the cadabra or the rallon? Im thinking the cadabra looks good if I can pick up a 2010 model that is discounted. nothing weight weeny about it (im 250 lbs) and the suspension looks pretty ingenius. The Rallon also looks really nice, but pricier boutique bike.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    I've ridden the Cadabra for a day, but I didn't care for it. Compared to my Rize it climbs like a pig and doesn't descend all that well. And also, it just doesn't seem like all that much bike for the money. And to top it all off, the MagicLink, while it worked seems like a lot of moving parts and points of failure. It's not that it's a bad bike, but I'd much rather go for a Giant Reign 1 or Santa Cruz Blur or Nomad.
    Last edited by TwoHeadsBrewing; 03-31-2011 at 12:22 PM.
    "Got everything you need?"

Ride.
    Jan 2011
    What about a Pitch pro? retail is 2400. Most likely easy to pick one up for less. real sleeper bike shadowed by the enduro.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    what size bike you looking for.My lbs has a xl 2010 specialized enduro sl comp that you could get for $2400.Let me know if you want the shop number and stuff

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If your interested, ive got a GT Force 1.0 for sale with lots of upgrades.

http://www.dorba.org/forum/buy-and-sell/15185

Bike is currently in the Winter Park, Co Area
    Last edited by BAWPcc; 04-02-2011 at 06:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    if you think you have any parts that can be used in the interim for a build, the El Guapo for $1200 from Titus/LBS/Biker Bob would be hard to beat.

Actually, contact bikerbob here and tell him what you would like to see spec'd and see if he can do it. I bet he comes really close if he can't get you the build you want at $2400.

Nox Trailbuilder
    Giantnerd.com has some great deals on GT Force and Sanction from $1200 to $2500 for a XT spec carbon Force!

http://www.giantnerd.com/bike/bikes/...html?brand=151

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How come no one mentioned the Heckler? http://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.aspx/Browse?Prod=20512

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mummer43
    How come no one mentioned the Heckler? http://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.aspx/Browse?Prod=20512
    We were waiting for you.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    http://www.giantnerd.com/2010-gt-gt-...-mountain.html

2010 GT Force Carbon Expert, $2499.
    Trek 69er SS (in progress), Trek Superfly, GT Force Carbon Expert, Trek Madone 6.2

amp
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by heyitsmebob
    http://www.giantnerd.com/2010-gt-gt-...-mountain.html

2010 GT Force Carbon Expert, $2499.
    This is what I went with. Giant nerd had free shipping as well. Should arrive next week. Best deal I could find considering what you get.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    You have to be creative an savvy but the pay off can be big,in the past six months I put together a 2010 Titus El Guapo for around 1600 with top end parts and a 2011 Ibis SL complete for around 2000 deals galore out there but ya gotta do the work!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Very cool looking Force, you made an excellent choice. You will be happy.

T.W.O
    That sanction looked badass for 1,500.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pfox90
    That sanction looked badass for 1,500.
    Yeah, it is. I have the '10 Sanction 1.0 which I got on sale last summer for $2400 (tax included) I mainly bought for the Talas RC2 FIT 36 fork and ended up loving the bike in general - wasn't used to the Hammerschmidt at first though.

Overall, I'd say GT did a nice job with the Sanction line in the past couple of years apart from some creaking issues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by amp
    This is what I went with. Giant nerd had free shipping as well. Should arrive next week. Best deal I could find considering what you get.
    Yeah, you really can't beat the deals at Giantnerd. You also get a return in 'Nerd Dollars' that you can use on the site. They did a great job on mine with the pro-build too. Post up some pics when you get it together.
    Trek 69er SS (in progress), Trek Superfly, GT Force Carbon Expert, Trek Madone 6.2

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Texnav, you were wondering about Scott bikes. I just got my genius lt40 a couple of weeks ago. Seems awesome so far. Ride seems very smooth. The cockpit geo seems good for me 5'8". Bike is a medium. At 31 lbs, it seems very flickable as well. I ride with a guy who has a genius 60. He seems very happy with his also. No problems so far, so not sure about customer service. Lbs carries Scott so I'm thinking I will see more on the trail. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz Butcher D AM w/RP23 upgrade $2214

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/butcher/
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2