mtbr member
    Sep 2009

$2000-$2500 AM Bike?

I was wondering what good AM bikes are out their for the prices between $2000-$2500. I have my mind on the Santa Cruz Heckler but if there are any better AM bikes between this price range let me know.

Compelling, and rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyzn
    I was wondering what good AM bikes are out their for the prices between $2000-$2500. I have my mind on the Santa Cruz Heckler but if there are any better AM bikes between this price range let me know.
    Enduro SL Comp should be going for around $2500 at most retailers:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...enuItemId=9249

Cheaper Alternative would be the Pitch Pro:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...enuItemId=9249

Some people have an aversion to the Big S, but you can't beat the warranty they offer or the bang for your buck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Giant Reign x2

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I kinda have my eye on the Giant Reign x2 and the Giant Reign 2. Can anyone list the pros and cons about these two bikes and give a slight comparison?
    Last edited by Eyzn; 09-28-2009 at 08:35 PM.

I'm with stupid
    GT sanction for more of a freeride type am bike that can still climb.

Compelling, and rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyzn
    I kinda have my eye on the Giant Reign x2 and the Giant Reign 2. Can anyone list the pros and cons about these two bikes and give a slight comparison?
    You really should look into the Enduro SL Comp or Pitch Pro . . .

Not that the Giants are bad bikes by any means. It's just that the Specialized bikes, in my opinion, are the overall better choices.

If you insist on going for the Giants, the Reign 2 would be your choice if you're looking for something that is just as fun on the way up as it is on the way down. The X2 is noticeably more heavy, but more confident downhill/better for drops/etc because of the slacker angles and increased travel.

Also, I've heard many horror stories about the 55R on the X2 both from my friends and from people on the forums. So keep that in mind.
    Last edited by CasteelG; 09-29-2009 at 07:52 AM.

LCW
    mtbr member
    How about a Roscoe I ... I get you could get a dealer to sell for 2500 (MSRP is 2729)

ABP, full floater, DRCV (dual chamber shock - gives more coil like spring rate curve), untouchable Fisher/Trek lifetime warranty, great C/S...

http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/roscoe-i

2011 Yeti 575 - Fox Float 36 RC2 160 - 31.5 lbs

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CasteelG
    You really should look into the Enduro SL Comp or Pitch Pro . . .

Not that the Giants are bad bikes by any means. It's just that the Specialized bikes, in my opinion, are the overall better choices.

If you insist on going for the Giants, the Reign 2 would be your choice if you're looking for something that is just as fun on the way up as it is on the way down. The X2 is noticeably more heavy, but more confident downhill/better for drops/etc because of the slacker angles and increased travel.

Also, I've heard many horror stories about the 55R on the X2 both from my friends and from people on the forums. So keep that in mind.
    i'm a specialized fanboi myself. But cmon. I ride a pitch and I love it, but it's not without faults. As is the enduro. The giants are nice bikes. The maestro suspension system is a pretty neat setup.

I bought a pitch because i wanted a tried and true and reliable suspension setup. I too am not a fan of the marzocchi forks on the giants... however i don't exactly like the specialized specified pikes on the either of the pitch's.

Giant makes a good bike. The people that I know that have the reign and the reign x2 love them. Also the people i know, myself included that have enduro's or pitch's love them too. make sure to test ride both.

Compelling, and rich.
    I know, I know . . . Sometimes it's just hard for me to hide the big S I have tattooed on my chest.

untouchable Fisher/Trek lifetime warranty
    Giant and Specialized offer very similar warranties to Fisher/Trek.

mtbr member
    Used Kona? =)

Price negotiable... http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...ct=40038&cat=3

mtbr member
    The Reign X should not even be mentioned in this all mountain forum. It has 170mm of travel and is too heavy (unless you go expensive). I'd go with the Reign.

mtbr member
    For reference, my buddie's large Reign X1 was 35 pounds. Yes, he had Hammershmidt but he also had Eggbeater pedals and an a Fox DHX Air shock.

mtbr member
    I just read the write up on the new updated 2010 Diamond Back Mission. 6" starting at $2300. I think its weighs in around under 30 lbs. with fox fork, shock, sram, 8" brakes front 7" rear & 2.5, 2.3 tires.

I am very curiouse on this one, I may have to go do a test ride at one of their test centers. They have a east and west coast center, you can check out and test ride the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_canuck
    How about a Roscoe I ... I get you could get a dealer to sell for 2500 (MSRP is 2729)

ABP, full floater, DRCV (dual chamber shock - gives more coil like spring rate curve), untouchable Fisher/Trek lifetime warranty, great C/S...

http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/roscoe-i

I frikkin love the Roscoes.
    I hate 650b because it's not as fun as 26 inch wheels and because it doesn't have the rollover ability of 29 inch wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nagatahawk
    I just read the write up on the new updated 2010 Diamond Back Mission. 6" starting at $2300. I think its weighs in around under 30 lbs. with fox fork, shock, sram, 8" brakes front 7" rear & 2.5, 2.3 tires.

I am very curiouse on this one, I may have to go do a test ride at one of their test centers. They have a east and west coast center, you can check out and test ride the bike.

Ya the 2010's look way nice, ALL the mission models are coming stock with an RP23hv shock now, like you said the base model starting at just 2300

I have a 2009 mission and absolutly love it, its in frame condition right now waiting on a Van 36
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CasteelG
    I know, I know . . . Sometimes it's just hard for me to hide the big S I have tattooed on my chest.

Giant and Specialized offer very similar warranties to Fisher/Trek.
    Kind of. Specialized only gives you a lifetime warranty on half a frame because they specifically exclude the rear triangle on susp frames. Trek/Fisher only excludes the shock itself

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Looking in the same range I ended up with a Giant Trance X2 (2009). Have been very pleased so far and I come from a downhill background so while I'm aware while riding I can't just pile into things I'm not riding it like a XC rider either. The bike manuals well, climbs as well as I can, jumps well, and is stable downhill at right around 31lbs for a large. I do have a 70mm stem and havoc DH bars on it which made a world of difference over the XC stock setup that was ridiculous.
    Last edited by BrakeL8; 10-01-2009 at 02:41 PM.

mtbr member
    giant or specialized are going to be your best bang for the buck