hgs
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

$1584 heckler - too good to be true?

i've been searching for a new mountain bike for way too long. i test rode a nomad and a blur LT at a SC demo day, and loved the nomad (wanted something just a little beefier than a blur). but i can't spend that kind of $$ on a bike. so i'm looking at everything, reading posts, buying magazines, etc.. and i'm almost ready to buy a 2005 heckler for $2300 (marked down from $2800). then i notice in mtb-action mag they have a whole article on a $1584 heckler. WTF? so, i'm sure there are some less than desirable componants, but i can't tell what's wrong with them... so i thought i'd check here. can you guys help me determine if there's a major flaw here? or did SC just put an un-beatable deal togther??? i think the key question is if the fork (fox float 130) and shock (fox float r) are decent enough. i weight in at about 225lbs.

X9 AM kit with Fox Float 130 RLC fork
    Powdercoat frame
    Fox Float R shock
    Headset: Cane Creek S3
    Seatpost: Thomson
    Saddle: WTB Pure V Stealth
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XT M760
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9 medium cage
    Shifters: SRAM X9 triggers
    Crankset: TruVativ Stylo Team 22-32-44
    Bottom-bracket: Giga X Drive
    Cassette: SRAM PG980 11-34
    Chain: SRAM PC 971
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 7 w/ 185mm front and 160mm rear rotors
    Brake Levers: Included
    Bars: RaceFace Deus low riser
    Stem: RaceFace Deus
    Grips: Lizard Skin Lock On
    Wheelset: Mavic XM 321 to DT 340 hubs w/ DT 14/15g spokes
    Tires: Kenda Nevegal
    Tubes: Kenda Freeride

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Sounds like they quoted dealer cost. Would not be the first time MBA has screwed up and done that.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

hgs
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp...=370&brand=323 has 2 different builds (with diff prices) - will call them tomorrow to get the scoop. but still interested in feedback on the builds...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    So the price you quoted is for the much lower part spec.

"ADD $951" the the spec you presented.

Pick your parts and pay the price.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

hgs
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    got it, thanks. i incorrectly listed an upgraded groupset... BUT... there still is a REAL $1584 heckler with lower-end components that mtb-action reviewed that i'd love to get feedback on.

Santa Cruz Heckler Complete Bike
    D AM kit comes with RockShox Tora 302 U-turn fork
    Powdercoat frame
    Fox Float R shock
    Headset: Dia Compe
    Seatpost: TruVativ XR double clamp
    Saddle: WTB Pure V Comp
    Front Derailleur: Shimano LX M580
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT M751
    Shifters: Shimano Deore M511
    Crankset: Shimano Deore M530 22-32-44
    Bottom-bracket: Shimano Deore ES30
    Cassette: Shimano HG50 11-34
    Chain: Shimano LX HG53
    Brakes: Shimano Deore M535 w/ 180mm front and 160mm rotors
    Brake Levers: Included
    Bars: TruVativ XR riser
    Stem: TruVativ XR 3D
    Grips: Lizard Skin
    Wheelset: Mavic XM 317 disc to Shimano Deore M535 w/ DT 154g spokes
    Tires: Kenda Nevegal
    Tubes: Kenda Freeride

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I just got a Heckler with the above package except with a 2007 vanilla RLC and it came in with LX shifters (must have ran out of Deore) from my LBS for $1925.00. I absolutely love the bike and want to be on it constantly!! Get the $1584.00 package, it's the best deal out there as mountain bike action says in it's review. For that money your in one of the best trail bikes ever put into production. I don't know if you have ever riden one but everything in that review is dead on imo. When i'm not riding the bike I am gazing at it in my living room.
    My wife thinks I'm nuts, but i'm in love all over again!! Join the Heckler family.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Nice build as long as you get the Fox...Everything else can be upgraded/replaced as you break it.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBidnezz
    Nice build as long as you get the Fox...Everything else can be upgraded/replaced as you break it.

Agree....that Tora is a tank.....weighs about 5 lbs. Complete bike weighs in at about 32-33 lbs. Not light.....but you can't expect that for $1600.

mtnbikej

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    sweet deal! replace as you go, cheaper than a lot of good frames.
    "Didn't your doctor tell you to stop smoking and drinking?" George Burns "Yes but they all died"

mtbr member

Even sweeter is the frame & shox for under $900

If you have the other parts (I do) you can get a Heckler with a Fox air shock for around $890 in powder coat. That is a pretty nice deal for a bike that seems to get constant raves. I have not ridden the new design Heckler but have experience with the Blur and currently own a Chameleon and feel that the bikes designed by Santa Cruz ride very well.

hgs
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    just ordered it in orange powdercoat (will make me think i'm riding my ktm)... they sell it now w/ the fox vanilla instead of the tora, but the price is also $1850ish instead of $1580ish.

i tested a rockhopper yesterday w/ the deore shifters just to see if i could live with the deore... they are fine. and i read an article... http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...005/news/05-26 ... that says the deore was upgraded along w/ the 105s recently. have the new 105 set on my road bike (cannondale synapse), and it's actually a an awesome (strong/smooth) groupset. so if the 2 are at all similar, i should be equally happy.

mtbr member

I have Deore/LX & it works fine.

I built up my Chameleon with low end parts and they shift as well as my XT/XTR. They may weight more but I don't "feel" a performance difference. Because of where and how I ride the Chameleon I was looking for throw away parts so I would not feel so bad when I trashed them. Except for a rear derailuer ripped off by a nasty plant, everything is still working well after 1.5 years.

PS: Excellent color choice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hgs
    just ordered it in orange powdercoat (will make me think i'm riding my ktm)... they sell it now w/ the fox vanilla instead of the tora, but the price is also $1850ish instead of $1580ish.

i tested a rockhopper yesterday w/ the deore shifters just to see if i could live with the deore... they are fine. and i read an article... http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...005/news/05-26 ... that says the deore was upgraded along w/ the 105s recently. have the new 105 set on my road bike (cannondale synapse), and it's actually a an awesome (strong/smooth) groupset. so if the 2 are at all similar, i should be equally happy.
    Yeah, I wanted orange to match my KTM too. I settled for silver ano since they had it in stock with the build kit I wanted. At least it doesn't have a linkage like my KTM!

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    hgs,

I got the same news about the vanilla when I ordered mine.I wasn't happy about paying more at the time but the 07 vanilla fork is awsome.It is easy to adjust, super plush, and looks great.My bike took about 3 weeks to come in.Great buy, your gonna love it!!