Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: $1500 Budget

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

$1500 Budget

Coming from a Hardtail Cannondale Trail SL2. Looking for a full suspension MTB. I know my budget is low but that's all I got. Having a hell of a time finding a used bike as most seem very old and beat up. I would prefer new if possible.

What would you guys recommend in that price range?

Thanks!

noob
    Jan 2006
    I would scour the LBS's looking for deals. I bet you could pick up something like a Remedy for $1800 on clearance.

Edit: looks like places are starting sales already...
    The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing more helpess and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an either binge. And I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I am new to this, so brands and models would be helpful as well.

Thanks

mtbr member
    he's talking about the trek remedy, msrp is $2,800 so that would need to be one hell of a sale, the trek rumblefish is a 29er coming in at $2,400. but checking out shops nearby would yield the best bike for the buck, this is a good time of year to pick one up
    Protection Hurts Performance

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    better to have a dialed hardtail than an ok full suspension imo. but i gotta agree with checking all the shops in your area, I've seen many nice full suspensions on clearence in that price range.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Could get a 2011 Trek Fuel EX 5 for $1250.00 or a 2011 Cannondale RZ One Twenty 4 for $1200.00. Are these any good? Similar enough to where it doesn't matter?

There's also a Specialized camber comp for about $1400

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The treck is a pretty decent bike. Maybe not perfect for heavy all mountain use but it will get the job done perfectly fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Been using a '10 EX5 for a year and a half now and I have only good things to say. Well, except the fork which weighs a ton and has a spring which is a little too stiff for my weight.

If you are confident about maintenance and bike building, you could shop online and get great deals on not-so-popular brands like Diamondback, Marin, GT etc.

Is not amused
    Try to find a deal on a specialized camber comp, trek fuel ex 6, or giant trance x4.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DSSK View Post
    better to have a dialed hardtail than an ok full suspension imo. but i gotta agree with checking all the shops in your area, I've seen many nice full suspensions on clearence in that price range.

I disagree.

Plenty of shops are blowing out 2011s right now and you should be able to get something for around $1500. Even if it's not "dialed", you would still be able to get a good FS and upgrade parts over time if you want. You will enjoy riding FS over a HT, even if it doesn't have the best component spec.

Check out:
    Specialized Camber Comp
    GIant Trance X3
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 10
    Specialized Pitch Comp

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by YZ250Fox View Post
    You won't enjoy it when all the hardtail guys are passing you on the uphills.

The downhill must be a thrill on an FS though.
    Can't I just lock it out?

Also, now that I know what models to look for I am seeing a few on CL. What's the oldest year I would want to go? I see a lot of 07

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I picked up a SC Nomad in great condition on CL for $1600. At that price, IMO, used is definitely the way to go (depending on your locale, of course). Make sure you buy a bike that fits you well, though, so get on as many as possible. When I was shopping, I found that most people would let you take their bike on a trail for a test ride as long as you met them at the trail and gave them your license, or something like that to hold onto. Then again, I come off as a pretty clean-cut decent guy with his sh*t together.

mtbr member
    Giantnerd.com has small and medium 2010 Diamondback missions for $1,300.....The mission is a great all round bike. Fox float 150mm front and rp23 on the back. You may have to upgrade the rear derailleur sometime in the future.

2010 Diamondback Mission 1 Mountain Bike - Giantnerd®

mtbr member
    Silver Star bike park is selling off their rentals. They have a 2010 Norco Fluid 3 for $859. Replace the fork on it with a RS Sektor or Revelation, or a close out fox 32 float for 3-500 bucks - then sell the Tora that is on it. Should be good for $100-150 bucks. And still have a few hundred for things like a new drive train, bar, stem, seat, etc to make it fit you.

The other suggestions such as the Trek Fuel, Giant Trance, and Camber are good bikes too. Mission would probably be high on my list though, if you are about 5'9" or 5'10" or shorter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for all the comments. All the information is very helpful. If it adds to the discussion at all I'm 5'8 and live in Chino Hills, CA. I usually ride a medium size bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Find a local Giant dealer and test ride one of these. GREAT everything bike. Same frame as the more expensive models in the lineup.

2011 Giant Trance X3
    I cannot post links yet here but do a copy and paste within Google of the above text. Or add http to the beginning of the below text

://wheelworld.com/product/11giant-2011-trance-x3-73436-1.htm

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by YZ250Fox View Post
    You won't enjoy it when all the hardtail guys are passing you on the uphills.

The downhill must be a thrill on an FS though.
    so it looks like you don't and have never owned a FS bike but you're giving comparative advice vs a HT?

OP, what are you looking for in this bike, capability-wise? what kind of riding will you be doing? If you need a big bike, better of looking used. Finding a god 6" bike new and at your price is gonna be tough. However, I've seen some well sec'd Nomads on sale for just above your budget. Just one idea.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    so it looks like you don't and have never owned a FS bike but you're giving comparative advice vs a HT?

OP, what are you looking for in this bike, capability-wise? what kind of riding will you be doing? If you need a big bike, better of looking used. Finding a god 6" bike new and at your price is gonna be tough. However, I've seen some well sec'd Nomads on sale for just above your budget. Just one idea.
    I purchased the Canonndale SL2 for light trails. I then discovered some very fun single track at chino hills state park and felt like my bike was going to fall apart on the downhill, some of which was pretty rough and very fast. Almost from a safety standpoint I felt like I needed FS, if that makes any sense. I don't know about forks or suspension or travel etc. Anyhow, thanks for all the good information guys!

mtbr member
    Good things come to those who wait and I say save $400-$500 more then enter the market for a FS. It will put you out of season when all the good deal are, lots of online deal and that where you can score big. The Mission is a good choice, but not a Mission1 the fork is just to unworthy. A Mission 2 is a solid base of frame, fork, shock, and another $400-$500 will put you in that realm. You must have those 3 components don't settle for less.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ok, sounds like a lot of it might be technique but I definitely get the desire to move to FS.

Looks like you really only need a decent trail bike. Later on, if you want to get a true heavy-duty AM bike, the trail bike will still have its place. Most of what has been recommended would be appropriate. Trek EX, Camber, etc. Other option would be to pick up a used bike that was higher spec a few years back. You should have luck with all of the local forums to find a used bike.

Depending on what you can find, a good used FS frame could be an option. There is a used motolite in the classifieds for about $500. Pair that with a Revelation with 20mm axle, and a decent set of wheels might be the way to go. For $1300 for frame, fork and wheels that are hands down better than what will come spec'd on any bike in the $1500 range should be considered. See what you can find.

mtbr member
    Where do you live?What type of riding? I see a ton of used Santa Cruz Hecklers with all Fox & good component groups for that price range!Excellent bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Where do you live?What type of riding? I see a ton of used Santa Cruz Hecklers with all Fox & good component groups for that price range!Excellent bike!
    yep. Here are some more choices...
    GIANT TRANCE X3 MEDIUM - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories
    Specialized Pitch Medium - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories
    Specialized Enduro Elite w/ 2010 Fox Suspension - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

and that only took 5 minutes. start shopping.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    2010 Specialized camber comp (used)
    2011 Trek Fuel EX5 (New)

What would you guys choose? About the same price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    is the trek on sale? if not, would you be pissed if it went on sale in the next 30 days, after you bought it? bikes are going to be on sale very soon. might make sense to wait a few weeks.

otherwise, some other considerations are bike size. Treks have more sizing options. Best to go test them, even if it is a parking lot tour.

mtbr member
    Mnigro (gets rep votes) found a few nice bikes that fit what your looking for, I would pop on the pitch......it looks sharp.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast