Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

$1500.00, Full Suspension...All Mountain.

Any recommendations? Looking for a bike to handle tough trails, hucks up to 12', able to climb, and little bit of downhill.

I have a GF Tass for cross country, thinking about selling it for an all mountain. Or should I keep the GF and go with something a little more extreme?

I was thinking Kona Dawg or something similiar. What do you guys/gals think?

Thanks.

PH

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I demoed a Kona Stab today... it was sweet, im envious of my friend. We went down a local bike trail and it was just killer on anything I could pull. I barely could feel any feedback with his 210mm front fork and the lovely 6" of travel in the back made my small 5-8ft drops seem like nothing. I dont know about hardcore stuff, but it was sweet.

Riding a Rig.
    Quote Originally Posted by PavementHater
    Any recommendations? Looking for a bike to handle tough trails, hucks up to 12', able to climb, and little bit of downhill.

I have a GF Tass for cross country, thinking about selling it for an all mountain. Or should I keep the GF and go with something a little more extreme?

Thanks.

PH
    IF you decide to go towards the 'more extreme' side, check out this: http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ZON-FR-1-Details.html

Quite a deal for the parts spec, and I have dealt with Ibex on many occasions before. Its a great company. Call them up and see for yourself.

Also, here an an amazingly speced All Mountain bike that may intrest you. This bike would jhave my money if I had 1500 to spend. http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-PRO-Details.html
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

It rains here. :(

Thanks.

PH
    I'd say look at a Kona Stinky cuz the Stab is way out of your price range.

mtbr member
    Ibex Astra is a XC bike.
    for the cash: SC Heckler, D XC build, everything but fork would work well for you, and the fork might be ok.
    Giant Reign
    Cannondale Prophet
    KHS All Mountain series

For more extreme, you can get a complete Versus Blitz from Adrenaline for about 1400 right now. 4-6 inches of travel, and DogonFR raves about it. Definately worth looking into.

and there are more. good luck

Matt

aka baycat
    Iron Horse MKIII, check them out. A new one might be hard to come by for 1,500 but check out Randall Scott Cycles. The bikes are a wicked trail machine, and a great suspension desig.

ride hard take risks
    Ya the Blitz is great, el_chupo is talking about the '05 model. It is no sloutch & can take alot of punishment. It has 4-5-6in travel but i would suggest stick it in the 6 mode & go ride. One of the team riders actually raced his '05 instead of the '06 at the Sea Otter DH, felt it was a little better suited for this course, he finished 9th in the Expert class.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There's no app for this.

hucking 12' ?

forget trail bikes. Period. Move into FR/DH bikes. Like the Kona Stinky. It's $1999 US bux. You'd be hard pressed to find any bike at $1500 that's going to take 12' repeatedly and safely.
    Jim

Just Joshin' ya!

12 Footers, Really?

Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    forget trail bikes. Period. Move into FR/DH bikes. Like the Kona Stinky. It's $1999 US bux. You'd be hard pressed to find any bike at $1500 that's going to take 12' repeatedly and safely.
    Jim
    Exactly.If you are really doing that kind of hucking, twelve foot drops, good luck with any of these bikes except the stab, which is really a DH race bike, or the stinky. And if you are really into that sort of riding, you are going to need some high end suspension to survive the abuse. You might get a year out the rest of the components. I would not trust IBEX for 12' foot drops. For that type of riding your priorities are frame, then fork, and then shock. You will break everything else after awhile.

Also, I don't know of anything that can handle that sort of drop that is still climb friendly. However, I see people climb (very slowly) on Stinkys, Flys, and Bullits all the time.
    Last edited by PrincipalRider; 04-10-2006 at 05:13 PM.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Kona Stab too much? I saw one on eBay go for 800.00

It rains here. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyM.
    Kona Stab too much? I saw one on eBay go for 800.00

Well, the 05 retailed for $2800 new. You're probably talking about a 5 year old bike or something.

aka baycat
    What Is That!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I think ti was a 2004 or 2005 model. One of those. I see a frame I might get instead of the Trek liquid for 500.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    What Is That!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

aka baycat
    How is the pump track coming along?

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    How is the pump track coming along?
    Check your email

There's no app for this.

the Stab is $3000

Pricepoint has Banshee Chapparals (04) on clearance, the frame is $899 I think. A proper build for 12' hucks will take you past $2000 though.

WTF is a Trek Liquid doing on your list if you're going hucking? That bike is not designed for it. (Small drops only)

Starting to feel like you're either not listening, or you're not going hucking.

Jim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    WTF is a Trek Liquid doing on your list if you're going hucking? That bike is not designed for it. (Small drops only)Jim
    The guy talking about the liquid isn't the OP. But I have to agree (and am surprised nobody pointed it out earlier) that there's not going to be a bike that can handle 12' drops and still climb worth a darn. If I was wanting to take 12' drops (I'm not) I wouldn't limit myself to $1500 either.

ride hard take risks
    That one sounded like he was considering the Trek for himself. I feel that people watch videos of 35-45 foot hucks & it looks like a 12 footer. When you get out there & look over a 12 footer it suddenly grows . Maybe it was 12X2 feet.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    That one sounded like he was considering the Trek for himself. I feel that people watch videos of 35-45 foot hucks & it looks like a 12 footer. When you get out there & look over a 12 footer it suddenly grows . Maybe it was 12X2 feet.
    I agree, alot of people on this forum embellish thier skill/fearless level. Not that this guy is doing it, but I read reviews all the time for my Haro Extreme X2 and people are talking about it handling 8 foot drops to flat in Urban settings stock. Yeah right. Bullsh**. I blew my seals on my fork and cracked my swingarm doing 2 to 3 foot drops on the trail. Most average riders look at a three foot drop as about the limit of what they will do anyway. (Once again, I am not saying that the OP is your average rider. He may have Lopes skills.)

Riders that can use some of the bikes described in this thread for freeride or DH are out there, but they are a hell of lot more accomplished riders than the average Joes cruising MTBR.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

There's no app for this.

Agreed...

I'm old and have been riding Whistler for years. I have one of the best bikes money can buy, it's way more than I need.

I'm lucky if I can comfortably handle 6' drops, although my bike is far more capable than I.

At my age, it takes too long to heal and I don't want a permanent injury.

Jim

pol
    Pablo "down" Hill

Thanks.

PH
    If you are looking for one bike that can handle some light freeride (3', 4' drops) and still be able to hammer your way uphill. The Kona Dawg is what you are looking for. It's a sweet ride, It handles beautifully on rough aggressive terrain and is light enough to ride from Boston to San Diego (HAHA talk about epic). If you are looking for something more aggressive the coilair is only an extra four pounds and a full extra inch.
    Personally I never use the lift, I always carry my freeride eq (full face helmet, elbow, knee pads and goggles) in my HAVOC pack, ride all the way up, and freeride my azz all the way down.
    Thatís why I love my Dawg. Truth is if you donít hammer your way uphill, you donít deserve the downhill.
    life is an adventure, make it epic.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I've been looking alot too for a bike like this...here is what I have found
    Kona Stinky w/ DHX frame $599 -Wheelworld
    Versus Blitz w/ Metal RP frame $699 -Adrenaline
    Mongoose Black Diamond Single BIKE $999 - eBay

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    I've been looking alot too for a bike like this...here is what I have found
    Kona Stinky w/ DHX frame $599 -Wheelworld
    Versus Blitz w/ Metal RP frame $699 -Adrenaline
    Mongoose Black Diamond Single BIKE $999 - eBay
    Versus Blitz is a very nice frame. The frame is extreamly solid & can handle some big hits & hucks. It has adjustable travel from 4-5-6in. I have been using mine in the 6in mode for 1 1/2 years with a Manitou FireFly '05. The suspension is very active & enjoys to be riden hard. Bounced it off large boulder decend's, high speed fire road, slamed ledges & of course climbes well for it's travel & weight. Buy it beat it love it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

pol
    Pablo "down" Hill
    I bought my Kona Dawg and RS Pike at wheel world ($1,120.00 for both). The service is excellent, the staff is very helpful and the prices are unbeatable. You can even get a better price if you have fair negotiation skills and are fiscally at the store. Call me old fashion but I would never buy a used bike on line, so Ebay is out of the question, and Adrenalin must be very similar to wheel world so you cant go wrong either way, itís just a matter of what you prefer Kona or Versus. On my personal opinion I LOVE my Kona so I would recommend you the Stinky but I guess Versus are cool too.
    life is an adventure, make it epic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast