Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ride hard take risks
    Versus are Awsome

ATO
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by PavementHater
    Any recommendations? Looking for a bike to handle tough trails, hucks up to 12', able to climb, and little bit of downhill.

I have a GF Tass for cross country, thinking about selling it for an all mountain. Or should I keep the GF and go with something a little more extreme?

I was thinking Kona Dawg or something similiar. What do you guys/gals think?

Thanks.

PH
    Rock Machine Adrenaline 2000 - 780$

http://www.velograd.ru/show_cat3.php...categ=00001394

MTB B'dos
    So any updates as to what bike you chose? Just out of curiousity could you post a pic of you hitting one of these 12ft hucks.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Dude, are 12 foot drops still considered AM? Isn't that more of a freeride or even dirt jumping thing? I mean, XC guys can't really push their bikes like AM guys because of the trade-off between light-weight and durability. Soooo, can anyone shed some light as to what kind of air a "hardcore" AM biker should/would get? Just curious.

ride hard take risks
    I would say AM with nads 4' huck. drop ins are different.

MTB B'dos
    I would say IMHO 4-6 drops/jumps max are AM anything over that is FR and would require a substantially not easy to pedal uphill type bike and hence not AM - since AM means you go pedal up the mountain and pedal down the mountain and try to ride whatever you come accross.

Hopefully DogonFR will explain the "huck v Drop" better for us. Further explanation please
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    I would say AM with nads 4' huck. drop ins are different.
    Last edited by LyNx; 05-05-2006 at 01:15 PM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Hopefully DogonFR will explain the "huck v Drop" better for us. Further explanation please
    Huck to me is like jumping off a drop, kind of like a mini cliff.
    Drop in for me would be rolling down a large rock or steep ledge.
    Jump would be a bump, rock or groomed launch.

mtbr member
    You might want to consider a KHS FR2000 '04 model from Bob's Bicycle for $399.00. It comes with a Manitou Swinger 3-way coil and has an adjustable travel between 4-5-6". I recently got this frame with a defective rear shock that Manitou replaced with a Swinger 6-way coil. It's a pretty sweet set-up because I can put it on 5" to hammer up then switch to six for the descend. The swinger 6 way is a good pedal platform rear shock that when tuned properly could make the bike an acceptable ascender and an exceptional descender. I placed my old parts from my frame which includes an Z1FR3 at 6" which did set the HA at 68 deg. I am planning to place an RC2X 7" which should slacken it by another degree to properly adjust the suspension to my liking because it would also have hi-low speed compression adjustment, rebound and preload.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    OK,
    Didn't realize this thread was still going, sorry. I ended buying a coiler and am extremely happy with it. I wanted a bike that will be ABLE to handle monster hucks, doesn't mean I do them. No, I have never hucked anything over 8'...Jumps......yes. I just wanted a bike that would be able to pedal and stand up to serious abuse.

I appreciate the advise on the rides.

PH

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    forget trail bikes. Period. Move into FR/DH bikes. Like the Kona Stinky. It's $1999 US bux. You'd be hard pressed to find any bike at $1500 that's going to take 12' repeatedly and safely.
    Jim
    I wouldnt say that. I have a bighit with a monster t on it and it can take 12 footers easily and i got it for under 1500

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2