Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 56

Thread: $110 is a $110

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Drth Vadr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    781

    $110 is a $110

    Just ordered my Hopes for a wheel build at the lovely price of $210 from Wiggle. I should be happy, but for some reason I feel guilty for not buying in the US. I tried to make a deal with some of the Ebay dealers, but no one would play ball, and as you all know,US store will not match across the pond prices.Oh well F*@k- it, it's the capitalistic way, It is just unfortunate that capitalism is killing our country, but I got my Hubs for $110 cheaper.

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation: eauxgod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    821
    Quote Originally Posted by Drth Vadr
    ...capitalism is killing our country...
    Rather the lack thereof...

    American socialism (modeled after the EU) is killing American capitalism which is killing our country.

    Karl would have it no other way.

    Get it straight.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by Drth Vadr
    Just ordered my Hopes for a wheel build at the lovely price of $210 from Wiggle. I should be happy, but for some reason I feel guilty for not buying in the US. I tried to make a deal with some of the Ebay dealers, but no one would play ball, and as you all know,US store will not match across the pond prices.Oh well F*@k- it, it's the capitalistic way, It is just unfortunate that capitalism is killing our country, but I got my Hubs for $110 cheaper.
    Did you use the the the XMAS-20 voucher? Good luck with the build.

  4. #4
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Drth Vadr
    Just ordered my Hopes for a wheel build at the lovely price of $210 from Wiggle. I should be happy, but for some reason I feel guilty for not buying in the US. I tried to make a deal with some of the Ebay dealers, but no one would play ball, and as you all know,US store will not match across the pond prices.Oh well F*@k- it, it's the capitalistic way, It is just unfortunate that capitalism is killing our country, but I got my Hubs for $110 cheaper.
    You can buy Hope hubs (and their other products) from UK e-tailers for less than the US wholesale. I think it largely because they are made in the UK and the price (when buying from the UK) is less affected by currency exchange rates than outsourced components.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Not sure why one would make a conclusion that getting a good deal shipped for cheap from across the world is some indication of the failures of capitalism.

    In Soviet Russia you will get your cast iron single speed hubs next year if you submit your coupons to the local party office. Nobody needs any fancy pants multispeed hubs when going to battle with damn bourgeoisie. (Speaking from personal experience).

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Drth Vadr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    781
    [QUOTE=Curmy]Not sure why one would make a conclusion that getting a good deal shipped for cheap from across the world is some indication of the failures of capitalism.
    QUOTE]
    It's more for the I got mine attitude of western individualistic capitalist societies. You know......Don't raise my goddam taxes, who cares if the it the best way to reduce the deficet so the communist collective society called China that is putting into their society doesn't own anymore of America then they already do. Sorry for the political rant, I will stop now..

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation: eauxgod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    821
    Quote Originally Posted by Drth Vadr
    ...I got mine attitude...
    The alternative is the "I want yours" attitude which is starting to take hold here as it has in Europe.

  8. #8
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,210
    I tried to buy a set of Hopes as advertised here in the classified from Orion Cycles. They got back to me via e-mail a couple times and stated they would send an invoice to pay via paypal. That was the last I heard from them, which was three or four days ago. Guess I'll keep looking.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,385
    dont feel too bad about it, since hope hubs are made in england anyway.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nenbran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by eauxgod
    The alternative is the "I want yours" attitude which is starting to take hold here as it has in Europe.

    Is it?

  11. #11
    meow meow
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,622
    i try to somewhat hang when we talk bike stuff but when i gets political cont me out.


    oh and this reminds me of a good joke: knock knock. who is there? the kgb. kgb wh.... "slap", the kgb will ask the questions!

  12. #12
    jrn
    jrn is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by eauxgod
    The alternative is the "I want yours" attitude which is starting to take hold here as it has in Europe.
    Just keep telling yourself that

  13. #13
    banned
    Reputation: eauxgod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    821
    Quote Originally Posted by jrn
    Just keep telling yourself that
    When you grow up to be a big boy you will understand.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,312

  15. #15
    wuss
    Reputation: dropadrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,364
    Quote Originally Posted by eauxgod
    When you grow up to be a big boy you will understand.
    But will you?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by eauxgod
    When you grow up to be a big boy you will understand.
    I'm a big boy, and I just don't understand. I must be anti-american because I'm anti capitalism... wait a minute, no... I'm just a good person.
    "Some people think they can outsmart me... Maybe... I've yet to meet one that can outsmart BULLET.
    -Heavy
    Der Crankmeister

  17. #17
    the train keeps rollin
    Reputation: snowdrifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,212
    It's not just Hope Hubs. Shimano prices are dirt cheap through Euro mail order. I like to keep my cash in the States, but it's too damn expensive.
    beaver hunt

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,226
    crc has been getting a lot of my business for the last couple of years. s

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    It's not just Hope Hubs. Shimano prices are dirt cheap through Euro mail order. I like to keep my cash in the States, but it's too damn expensive.
    Blame Hope and Shimano for this.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pittzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by Drth Vadr
    Just ordered my Hopes for a wheel build at the lovely price of $210 from Wiggle. I should be happy, but for some reason I feel guilty for not buying in the US. I tried to make a deal with some of the Ebay dealers, but no one would play ball, and as you all know,US store will not match across the pond prices.Oh well F*@k- it, it's the capitalistic way, It is just unfortunate that capitalism is killing our country, but I got my Hubs for $110 cheaper.
    What's killing this country is people with your level of understanding of economics are, not only allowed to vote, they are allowed to run for office, and they actually get elected.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Pittzer
    What's killing this country is people with your level of understanding of economics are, not only allowed to vote, they are allowed to run for office, and they actually get elected.
    Wait...Sarah Palin hasn't been elected yet. Or did I miss something?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000
    crc has been getting a lot of my business for the last couple of years. s
    Between them, wiggle and ebay out of asia (all those parts that look like they did fall out of the back of the truck), that is probably the majority of my new parts MTB spending. My bikes ride on three sets of Hope Hoops, SLX MT15 and now Nukeproof wheels that flew over from UK.

    Global commerce and internet - I have no idea how we could live without it. I would have had to buy from a local middle man - and would afford only a couple bikes, not five.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: colin1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    In Soviet Russia you will get your cast iron single speed hubs next year if you submit your coupons to the local party office. Nobody needs any fancy pants multispeed hubs when going to battle with damn bourgeoisie. (Speaking from personal experience).
    Hahahaha! Post Of The Day!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,949
    Quote Originally Posted by eauxgod
    When you grow up to be a big boy you will understand.
    I heard obamas coming for your guns too.. you better stock up and go hide out in a cave!

    Id rather have communist china have my money than some of you weirdos

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fotu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    829
    Like I said, the 3 Big things taking down the US:

    The EPA
    The 40 hr work week
    and Pinkos ordering hubs from Europe

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by fotu
    Like I said, the 3 Big things taking down the US:

    The EPA
    The 40 hr work week
    and Pinkos ordering hubs from Europe
    40hr week is fine - productivity drops when you work much more. Replace it with The SEIU shackedown racket.

  27. #27
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,210
    To get slightly back on topic, I wanted to follow up on my earlier post. Orion Cycles did get back to me today. He'd been out of town (evidently it's a one-man/woman show). His quote for Hope brakes is the best I've seen for a state-side vendor. Actually might be a bit lower than some UK vendors depending on discount level.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fotu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    40hr week is fine - productivity drops when you work much more. Replace it with The SEIU shackedown racket.
    To get slightly back off topic, this is exactly the kind of leftist nut job thinking that eauxgod and I am talking about. Look, if you are a member of the working class, you are supposed to be working. There's 168 hours in the week. These french wannabes call themselves workers? What are they doing the other 128 hrs?????

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by fotu
    To get slightly back off topic, this is exactly the kind of leftist nut job thinking that eauxgod and I am talking about. Look, if you are a member of the working class, you are supposed to be working. There's 168 hours in the week. These french wannabes call themselves workers? What are they doing the other 128 hrs?????
    Recuperating. 80 hours a week is for Chinese incarcerated children on menial jobs. U.S. is a high productivity economy.

    My software engineers are rather useless after too many all nighters.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fixbikeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Recuperating. 80 hours a week is for Chinese incarcerated children on menial jobs. U.S. is a high productivity economy.

    My software engineers are rather useless after too many all nighters.
    Please watch what you say. You make it sound like that is ok, and it is not. Have you ever been to China and witnessed what people do to survive over there? Most of us have no idea of what hard, long hours mean to just be able to eat. I know that I don't.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by fixbikeguy
    Please watch what you say. You make it sound like that is ok, and it is not. Have you ever been to China and witnessed what people do to survive over there? Most of us have no idea of what hard, long hours mean to just be able to eat. I know that I don't.
    I grew up in the Soviet Union. I do know.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fixbikeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    I grew up in the Soviet Union. I do know.
    So, you think that is is ok that "80 hours a week is for Chinese incarcerated children on menial jobs."?

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by fixbikeguy
    So, you think that is is ok that "80 hours a week is for Chinese incarcerated children on menial jobs."?
    Either you reading comprehension skills are not up to scratch, or my English skills are lacking more then usual. Could you enlighten me what part of my statement implied my approval, rather then a simple statement of fact; especially when taken in context of my previous post?

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fixbikeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    561
    It must be my reading comprehension skills.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    453
    I got my brand new (770) XT cranks from Wiggle last year for $150 with free shipping. Did I feel bad about it? Not at all.

    Politics = many blood sucking insects.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fotu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by Energetik
    I got my brand new (770) XT cranks from Wiggle last year for $150 with free shipping. Did I feel bad about it? Not at all.

    Politics = many blood sucking insects.
    Traitor.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nenbran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by Energetik
    I got my brand new (770) XT cranks from Wiggle last year for $150 with free shipping. Did I feel bad about it? Not at all.

    Politics = many blood sucking insects.

    Yes, but those ticks sure are tasty!

  38. #38
    How much does it weigh?
    Reputation: Borgschulze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,162
    This isn't a political forum.

  39. #39
    meow meow
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,622
    Quote Originally Posted by fotu
    Like I said, the 3 Big things taking down the US:

    The EPA
    the epa as in the environmental protection agency? that has to be a joke. right?

  40. #40
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    i try to somewhat hang when we talk bike stuff but when i gets political cont me out.


    oh and this reminds me of a good joke: knock knock. who is there? the kgb. kgb wh.... "slap", the kgb will ask the questions!
    Knock-Knock
    Who's there?
    I eat mop
    I eat mop who
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fotu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Knock-Knock
    Who's there?
    I eat mop
    I eat mop who
    I actually had to say this out loud...

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Knock-Knock
    Who's there?
    I eat mop
    I eat mop who
    Nice! What else can you say when the crazies start coming outa the wood work?

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bryan_d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Knock-Knock
    Who's there?
    I eat mop
    I eat mop who
    Yes!
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

  44. #44
    RiffRaff
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    the epa as in the environmental protection agency? that has to be a joke. right?
    Actually no. The EPA makes companies keep our country clean but that costs money. These companies dont want to spend this money, nor do they care about this country or the people in it, are now buddies with wacko right wingers trying to have the EPA removed. I dont throw all people on the right into this because even they, or the most part, are smart enough to know the EPA is a vital part of our society.

    The fact of the matter is, we need a EPD, D as in department, to give them more law making and enforcement power. Like everyone else in the developed world. Most of these arguments against the EPA come from people who have no clue about the impacts of even small occurrences of pollution or what this place would be like with out the EPA. Because if someone tells them its liberal, it must be bad.

    In the 60's a fvking river caught on fire.
    "If Liberace was alive, he'd be proud to ride that mofo."

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fotu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    829
    EPA, Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act. Thank you Richard Nixon. Biggest commie ever!

  46. #46
    RiffRaff
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by fotu
    EPA, Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act. Thank you Richard Nixon. Biggest commie ever!
    The only good things Nixon did.
    "If Liberace was alive, he'd be proud to ride that mofo."

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: twowheelsdown2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,074
    Some of you sound like the Harlely riders at work. "BUY AMERICAN!! DON'T BE A COMMIE, PINKO, ***!!"

    Meanwhile, if you take all the foreign made parts off their overweight, overpriced, under performing pieces of junk, you could fit the rest in a couple Wal-mart hand baskets.

    I always say to them "Yeah, lets purge ourselves of these foreign impurities. All you Harley riders bring your bikes to my garage, where we will remove all the foreign parts and cleanse them of the impurities. After which we will go out for a ride.

    Of course they would not have any wheels, tires, brakes, forks, shocks, ignition, carbs, lights, electronics etc, etc. Cracks me up when a Harley rider won't wave at me on my "foreign" motorcycle.

  48. #48
    meow meow
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,622
    Quote Originally Posted by HTFR
    Actually no. The EPA makes companies keep our country clean but that costs money. These companies dont want to spend this money, nor do they care about this country or the people in it, are now buddies with wacko right wingers trying to have the EPA removed. I dont throw all people on the right into this because even they, or the most part, are smart enough to know the EPA is a vital part of our society.

    The fact of the matter is, we need a EPD, D as in department, to give them more law making and enforcement power. Like everyone else in the developed world. Most of these arguments against the EPA come from people who have no clue about the impacts of even small occurrences of pollution or what this place would be like with out the EPA. Because if someone tells them its liberal, it must be bad.

    In the 60's a fvking river caught on fire.
    so basically you are saying the epa is good? i cant see how anyone would be against protecting the environment.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    so basically you are saying the epa is good? i cant see how anyone would be against protecting the environment.
    It really depends on the definition of "protecting".

    I do not think that banning bicycle travel on trails in the wilderness, for example, is protecting the environment. Endless bureaucratic red tape and compliance costs are also not very protection related.

    Remember the DDT ban? Instead of limiting its use to indoor prevention of malaria - proven best and safe method - then banned it outright - against the advice of EPA own experts. That was an apparent power grab of the nascent EPA - and it did cost a whole lot of lives, literally. And a lot of nuisance recently in form of the bed bugs. Read up on how that ban was reviewed and how it happened.

    Some of the "protections" are bordering on anti-human extremism. Nothing wrong with actual protection of the environment, of course.

  50. #50
    meow meow
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,622
    does the epa settle trail use? i thought that was more of a private sector thing. anyway i think we can all agree the epa does more good than harm even if it does make some mis steps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •