Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Addicted
    May 2006

$100 trail slayer

I've always been a fan of short travel bikes being ridden aggressively on rocky, rooty, rough terrain. I'm not into the huge 65* headangle trail bike craze. I've been riding my Niner EMD with Maverick DUC32 on front with a 69* headangle and having a blast. I wanted something with just a touch of cushion in the back for a slightly different ride.

I came across a Mongoose Canaan frame in a medium in supreme condition. Not a single scratch on it. It included the headset, seatpost, and Fox Float RP23 rear shock for $100 shipped. I jumped on it thinking I would build it up as funds allowed.

A few months back I was trying to decide between buying a Trance X frame or Reign frame to build up as my trail bike. Knowing that I had the Canaan sitting in the garage I went for a complete 2010 Reign 2 from my local bike shop for $1400. I got a complete for the price of just the frame. I quickly stripped down the Reign to get ready for all the new parts I ordered up for it. The remaining parts got transferred over to the Canaan.
    I figure I would have put $1400 for a frame so the parts were an added bonus.

The cranks I had sitting around from a long while back that had more than paid for themselves. They were also lighter than the stock RaceFace Ride Mega Exo cranks the Reign came with.

Frame: Mongoose Canaan medium with Fox Float RP23
    Fork: Fox Float RL 150 dropped to 118mm
    Headset: FSA Integrated
    Stem: Giant Connect 70mm
    Bars: Giant 680mm
    Grips: Giant Sole-O lock on
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 3's 185/160
    Shifters: Sram X7
    Rear derailleur: Sram x7
    Front derailleur: Shimano SLX
    Chain: Connex 9spd
    Cassette: Sram PC970
    Crank: Shimano XT
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano Octalink
    Chainrings: FSA alloy
    Seat: SDG Bel Air
    Seatpost: Sun Ringle
    Tires: Maxxis 2.35 High Roller front, Maxxis Larsen TT 2.0 out back
    Wheels: Sealed Giant hubs on WTB LaserDisc Trail rims
    Pedals: Time Z-Control

I know some people will I say that it doesn't qualify for "all-mountain" but I'm now seriously contemplating taking out to the Ashland or Capital Forest Super-D's instead of my Reign.
    The rearward axlepath of the Freedrive suspension is really nice and eats nasty root gardens while still maintaining that quick efficient pedaling. The taller than stock fork slacks out the headtube a touch, but keeps the bottom bracket under 13.75" overall height wise.

Overall, this is one of the funnest bikes of the 19 that I own.

-Kevin

Beer Swilling Clyde
    Looks like a fun ride, they're always better when you get killer deals on them too Good find.

usually cranky
    why 118 up front? that seems like a pretty random number.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    why 118 up front? that seems like a pretty random number.
    117.5 was probably too short...

Addicted
    May 2006
    I used one Fox travel reducing spacer and one RockShox All-travel spacers. The goal with 120mm, but the spacers together measured 32mm giving me 118. I figured 2mm was close enough to 120 to no bother with cutting down the reducer.

mtbr member
    It actually looks like it doesn't weight 18 thousand pounds unlike most Mongoose frames I've seen. Take off the Fox stickers and you could probably leave it just about anywhere and not worry about getting ripped off too

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxconvert
    I used one Fox travel reducing spacer and one RockShox All-travel spacers. The goal with 120mm, but the spacers together measured 32mm giving me 118. I figured 2mm was close enough to 120 to no bother with cutting down the reducer.
    haha ok. 118 just seemed like a strange place to land at, i figured it must have been some odd spacers. and i agree, 2mm is not worth the hassle.

Addicted
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by salimoneus
    It actually looks like it doesn't weight 18 thousand pounds unlike most Mongoose frames I've seen. Take off the Fox stickers and you could probably leave it just about anywhere and not worry about getting ripped off too
    The Canaan is from a bike shop not a department store. The Canaan was sold as their "marathon" type bike.
    I'll use it on days where I don't want to ride one of my hardtails or my Reign, or on days where I know there will be plenty of climbing and not tons of epic descending.

usually cranky
    ignorant

mtbr member
    ignorant
    Yes, that's exactly my point, the fact that most people don't know anything other than the junker Walmart type Mongoose bikes. Which is why it is a good bike to fly under the radar of typical street thieves that usually scope out the more well known high end bikes like Santa Cruz, Turner, Trek, etc. It's disguised in plain sight.

I'm not knocking the bike genius, instead I'm actually pointing out a positive attribute. If you still don't understand, then you're not eating enough of that healthy tofu brain food...

usually cranky
    chill, you should have just said that. what you said really didnt come off like that at all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Nice, looks like a sweet ride!! I know an older guy in my area who swears by his mongoose for trail riding, it is not terribly light, but pedals VERY well.

If I could buy any bikes I wanted mongoose would be in my top ten "interesting bikes" to get.

chill, you should have just said that. what you said really didnt come off like that at all.
    I got it the first time, but no point in arguin'
    Ridin' fo' dayzz

Wheels - 11' Giant Anthem X1
    -08 Eastern Slash
    -08 Jamis Dragon

mtbr member
    Nice trail ripper.A great way to put some of the parts box castoffs back on the trail and fill a gap in your bike stable.

mtbr member
    Apparently you were the only one that had a negative reaction to an otherwise harmless comment. If I offended you or your Mongoose in any way, you have my deepest apology, and sympathy.

Seriously though, it does appear to be a rather nice frame, light, sturdy, stiff. For $100 what's not to like.

Back to your regularly scheduled Mongoose thread...

mtbr member
    Just for fun I might even slap RST stickers on the fork and shock, so when you arrive back at the parking lot the group of snobbish boutique-frame riders you blew by can admire the "high end" build that just owned them haha

DISCLAIMER: I pre-apologize to any RST owners or snobbish boutique-frame riders that may have taken offense to this post. I should also clarify and state that not all boutique-frame riders are snobbish, and not all snobs ride a boutique-frame. Is "boutique-frame" even the correct way to state it? I don't think so, but it seemed correct at the time. I have a feeling at this point I'm rambling a bit too much for a disclaimer though so I'll end it here. Sorry just too much caffeine today I guess. Okay that's it I'm done. Yep.

Addicted
    May 2006
    Apparently you were the only one that had a negative reaction to an otherwise harmless comment. If I offended you or your Mongoose in any way, you have my deepest apology, and sympathy.

Seriously though, it does appear to be a rather nice frame, light, sturdy, stiff. For $100 what's not to like.

Back to your regularly scheduled Mongoose thread...
    That's my bike, not B-Kuls. I'm glad so many people see the Mongoose bikes as a quality bike. I remember I bought a bike shop quality Huffy TL88 bmx frame. I got heckled alot but it was actually a legit BMX frame that Huffy put out.

mtbr member
    That's my bike, not B-Kuls....
    Yes I realized that, I just figured from the way he responded maybe he owned one too and took offense.

I agree it's not about what the label or sticker says, I personally dislike labels, they do nothing but cause envy and trouble. But unfortunately modern society seems so fixated on labels, some sort of a status thing I guess. I feel that if something works for you and you like it, then it's a perfect match. I actually prefer to de-label most of my stuff, better to keep them guessing

Most of it all comes down to the rider anyway. A highly fit + skilled rider on a 40lb Huffy could still kick my ass on a 20lb titanium carbon fiber blah blah...

Infidel
    Just for fun I might even slap RST stickers on the fork and shock, so when you arrive back at the parking lot the group of snobbish boutique-frame riders you blew by can admire the "high end" build that just owned them haha
    I have a 2006 Yeti 575 that I had painted black. Nowhere on the bike is any indication of what it is. I searched everywhere for some Next or Roadmaster stickers for it to no avail. I thought it would be fun to watch the reaction of people as I shreded on what appeared to be a department store bike. Unfortunately I never found the stickers. Anyone have any?

Addicted
    May 2006
    I finally got clearance from the surgeon and doctor to start pedaling again. I took my first ride out in the last 16 months after having a car plow over the top of me during my commute to work resulting in bone missing from my knee, displaced knee cap, pinched sciatic nerve and the last 12 months in physical therapy.

We punched in 3 hours of lots of climbing and shredding. I took out the Canaan and left the propedal open pretty much the whole time. This bike SHREDS. It climbs great, I was using all the travel quite frequently but never once felt it bottom out. The short chainstay makes it easy to pick up the front end into a manual while drifting the rear end in flat S-type corners.
    I'm seriously debating riding this bike in the Ashland Super D instead of my '10 Reign.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I also bought a Mongoose at a garage sale for a little less that $100 and put some XT & XTR components (very old 3x8 stuff) laying around the shop. I never expected the bike to be this much fun. Only complaint is the lack of rear disk mounts. I have been riding it for over 2 years. I am on a kick now to try some other "CHEAP" frames and see what can be done with them. Just purchased a $200 KHS 204XC frame. I can't wait to build it up and try it out!

Addicted
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLubber
    I also bought a Mongoose at a garage sale for a little less that $100 and put some XT & XTR components (very old 3x8 stuff) laying around the shop. I never expected the bike to be this much fun. Only complaint is the lack of rear disk mounts. I have been riding it for over 2 years. I am on a kick now to try some other "CHEAP" frames and see what can be done with them. Just purchased a $200 KHS 204XC frame. I can't wait to build it up and try it out!
    I'm glad to hear that it worked out for you; however I would personally never buy a Mongoose that wasn't originally from a bikeshop. Even some of the bike shop frames I wouldn't touch(Otero). I do, however, absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the Freedrive suspension that they use on the Canaan, Teocali, Khyper, ECX/D, Pinn'r/Boot'r.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I know I said the bike was "Fun", but the truth is, I was a little reserved in my pushing it because of the lack of good reputation, so there was never any hits to speak of. I am sure the KHS (now with Reba WC fork and SID dual air rear) will allow me to push the limits a little farther without worry about an unproven frame.

Singletrack Slayer
    I'm glad to hear that it worked out for you; however I would personally never buy a Mongoose that wasn't originally from a bikeshop. Even some of the bike shop frames I wouldn't touch(Otero). I do, however, absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the Freedrive suspension that they use on the Canaan, Teocali, Khyper, ECX/D, Pinn'r/Boot'r.
    Glad to see somebody loves the freedrive as much as I do!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I had a 2009 and 2010 Mongoose Otero Supers and when I would ride the trails other riders would ask me "mongoose makes bikes like that?" Yes i know oteros dont have freedrive but they were still great bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    ignorant
    +1 Everybody in my neighborhood rides a Mongoose and I guarantee you that none of them shelled out $79.95 at Walmart for a bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast