Caveman

XT freewheel winterizing

Kinda a gumby question, but I've never had problems... until this morning's commute... she was slipping and it wasnt pretty..

So with a standard XT cassette hub, what's the best way to winterize the freewheel? Just take it apart and spray as much de-greaser as I can?
    Thanks
    E

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Freehub Winterizing

Here is a link to an Icebike article written by Simon up in Fairbanks.

http://www.icebike.org/Equipment/freehub.htm

KuskoRiverCruiser

Morningstar...

http://www.morningstartools.com/

I'm assuming you are referring to the freehub body!

Martin
    Martin
    [SIZE=1]"The pursuit of truth and adventure is far more noble a task than looking for work", [/SIZE]
    http://fatbikealaska.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Easiest way:
    is to get off the freehub body, pry up the black seal on the back of it and drain some lighter lube through it until all the gunk, be it dirty grease or heavy Shimano lube comes out.
    If you have an air compressor that speeds up the process a bit, though not nec.

Caveman
    thanks guys.

KuskoRiverCruiser

Interesting Results....

After testing numerous oils and greases in the Cryo, at -51dC / -58dF Paul Morningstar's 'SOUP' , by far, maintains it's original viscosity better than anything else out there...hmm...great for freehub bodies...wonder if it will work as a winter grease in sealed cartridge-type hub bearings?

morningstar logo

from the website:

FREEHUB SOUP; 100% waterproof grease especially designed for the light action
    freehub mechanism of all brands. It is a 5 part mix of silicones and teflon
    with the addition of ionized copper in 2004. It is compatible with most all
    original factory lubes. It works very well in cables as well, making them
    watertight and very slick.
    $12.00

Will call Paul in the morning and inquire...

Any thoughts? Rando?
    Last edited by qayaq_alaska; 11-22-2006 at 12:52 AM.
    Martin
    [SIZE=1]"The pursuit of truth and adventure is far more noble a task than looking for work", [/SIZE]
    http://fatbikealaska.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

dripping in oil doesn't last long

hey guys, anything that can be dripped in isn't going to last very long, even in a cold climate. If you insist on dripping something in - do not pour in from the backside as that is where alot of muck is and you will be pulling it inside as the oil drips in. Lubing the 50 bearings is best accomplished from the wheel bearing race side as it is clean.
    The neat thing about the morningstar insert is that it allows pressure cleaning and lubing of whatever you want to use- hard to beat.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Lubing the 50 bearings is best accomplished from the wheel bearing race side as it is clean.
    .[/QUOTE]

Guess we've had different experiences. I find that the driveside bearings are usually the filthiest in any Shimano hub, and I've taken apart quite a few XTs and XTRs. The back side of the freehub body usually isn't too bad in terms of dirt, one wipe with a rag and it's as clean as you'll ever get the bearing race. But I guess you could clean and lube it either way as long as you're thorough right?
    The Morninstar tool seems unnecessary to me, but the low temp oil sounds interesting.

[QUOTE=anything that can be dripped in isn't going to last very long, even in a cold climate[/QUOTE]

I have had no problems running a freehub on Triflow for a for hundreds of miles, In the cold and warmer weather, though I do think it's a little on the thin side. Have to relube it more than I'd like.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by qayaq_alaska
    After testing numerous oils and greases in the Cryo, at -51dC / -58dF Paul Morningstar's 'SOUP' , by far, maintains it's original viscosity better than anything else out there...hmm...great for freehub bodies...

Any thoughts? Rando?
    Martin, a couple of years ago i wanted to winterize a few XTR freehub bodies by purging the stock Shimano grease with a better suited cold climate grease. I already had a Morningstar Freehub Buddy, and knowing how well they work, I thought I'd force in some arctic grade grease which would force the stock grease out. What I didn't have was the replaceable aluminum bearing seals he makes that replace the steel one you usually mangle in the process. Paul hadn't started machining any yet for that appplication, so a phone call along with a few digital pictures and caliper measurements, and I had a parcel in the mail the next week with a few that fit perfectly. They are really nice units with rubber o-rings that make removal and re-installation a breeze.

In the parcel he also included a sample of his latest development: the "Soup" you mentioned. It came in a handy large syringe that allowed you to pump directly through the Freehub Buddy. He asked me to try it out and give him some feedback. I decided to try the Soup instead of my original choice, and ran it for two winters in two different hubs before phoning him back with my results. During that time I never had a hint of stickiness or resistance that comes with grease thickening, and haven't since either. The freehubs always engaged, and freewheeled smoothly and quietly. This is a slick fix that I enthusiastically endorse to anyone looking for a winterizing method for Shimano freehubs.

Even if you're not necessarily winterizing, the Freehub Buddy is a super tool for purging the freehubs if you've caught yourself hub deep riding through creeks, and feel you need to perform some preventive maintenance. Pick one up along with his dust shield and you have the makings of a simple maintenance routine.

Martin, I hope your luck with this combo turns out to be as good as mine's been. Rando

PS, I've attached a pic so you can see the stock steel seal and Paul's aluminum one with the o-ring. The o-ring really makes it a cinch to remove and place back. Even if you're not purging, you can remove the seal and wipe the bearing race very clean because it allows such open access.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EndoRando; 11-22-2006 at 10:37 PM.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name