mtbr member

Working out of Elmendorf for two weeks.

Good afternoon gents. I'm gonna be working out Anchorage for two weeks and in that time I'll have two days off. I won't have access to a vehicle except for on base (u drive). Can you guys give me directions to the closest trails to base? I have a 29 Stumpjumper and a 26 Reign. Which bike is recommended for the local trails? What kind of trails are they, i.e. single track, technical, drops, jumps? Will I need to take my Full Face and pads? I will only get the Sundays off so I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck in time off on this deal. Recommend any specific bike shop in the event I break some stuff. Thank you for your responses and time.

-Chris
    anthonys --"He got that thing airborne, and it sunk like a hammer into a lake. Physics never blinks."
    Just buy what you want

mtbr member
    Howdy MidNight! Come on down to Alyeska for some lift access bike park action. Your Reign should handle most of the terrain we ride, otherwise you can rent a dh bike once you get here. Check out the bike park on our web site: Alaska Downhill Mountain Bike Park | Alyeska Resort
    Cheers!
    Burntski

mtbr member
    Alyeska is an hour drive. But there are 12+ miles of single track trails around kincade park by the Anchorage Airport mixed in amongst the nordic ski trails, also the "Hillside trails" start at the Hilltop Ski area and link up to east Anchorage. None requiring a full face helmet but do require pedaling. Here are some maps: Singletrack Advocates
    I'll be out of town but recommend either they are fast and flow well with small jumps and tech features.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The hillside trails will be his best bet. Just be bear and moose aware. Also, lots of the brush is overgrown in parts so visibility is limited in some areas. I know they weed whacked a bunch last week for the race this past weekend.

mtbr member
    Thank you guys for your quick responses. I do have one more question: What kind of tires are people running there? Here in Okinawa we use aggressive, knobby mud tires for the moss-covered clay.

-Chris
    anthonys --"He got that thing airborne, and it sunk like a hammer into a lake. Physics never blinks."
    Just buy what you want

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Chris -
    No need to leave base, there is awsome MTB riding available directly on JBER, specifically the army training lands extending for about 15 miles north of the Ft Richardson cantonment. I would suggest starting to explore around the designated ORV recreational area, there are very few 4-wheels actually using the trails so not at all crowded but they do tend to leave trails that are more suitable for MTB riding than either rugged footpaths or larger humvee dirt roads that are more typically found throughout the training lands.
    I've been out doing road-bike gravel grinder biking on JBER a few times this past month, the solitude of the area, (even on the roads) is great.

Elmendorf is a much more developed area that Richardson. You could probably ride on the roads and find a few developed fitness trails on Elmendord but I think that whatever undeveloped land is on Elmendorf is largely closed to recreation access.

See my prior JBER thread with other ride descriptions at;
    JBER biking?

mtbr member
    GrayJay, Thanks for the info. I'm not flying tomorrow so I plan to get a bell or two and maybe do some exploring.
    Just buy what you want