Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 76 of 76
  1. #51
    Bikes are good
    Reputation: Elfbkr50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    851

    Dome

    A couple buddies and I snowshoed up the dome to the 1/2 point, and hiked back down. We drove up to Basher road p.lot and rode down from the 1/2 point. It was a no go for a little while, but we were able to ride down most of it. A few more bodies down the trail should open it up. The upper 1/2 will get there with some time as most people go that way. So, if you feel like suffering a little, give it a shot. When that thing is open in the winter, it's rad.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    88
    This is the set up I use to drag and pack the trails. I tried a kids sled last year and a Kincaid cruiser/Pre chariot. Sleds tip on their sides too much. Also you have to out run them on snow shoes on the down hills & you get banged in the heels. The sleds donít do medium to tight corners well at all. The tires are R15 they create a way smoother surface and pull easier. They are 100% easier to pull around corners. By the way here are some picture of some packing we did on the serenity cir trails up to the pump house. We hit this with a older skandic then you can see where it turns into the tire groomed section.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter Singletrack Groomer-photo-112-.jpg  

    Winter Singletrack Groomer-photo-113-.jpg  

    Winter Singletrack Groomer-photo-114-.jpg  

    Winter Singletrack Groomer-photo-115-.jpg  

    Winter Singletrack Groomer-photo-116-.jpg  


  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    88
    Sorry for the sideways pictures. The trails I was using the tires on yesterday are Behind NOAA on Sand Lake Rd & Raspberry Rd.

  4. #54
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,603
    Just curious why no waist belt attachment? Seems like having your arms behind your back the whole time would be annoying.

  5. #55
    Jesus is coming Look busy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    136
    I think I hurt my neck looking at this. Color me impressed. Great job. I love the enthusiasm this is bringing to winter riding here in Anch.......

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    88
    Sean,
    I have an old Black Diamond climbing harness I attach it to. A Valeo Weight belt would probably be better. It is fine with a harness if you are dragging long strait stretches without curves. Same problem I had with the Kincaid cruiser kids sled. It had a good harness system with an aluminum poles that attached from harness to sled. Unfortunately I ended up pushing the sled with the harness because anytime you got to corners it wouldnít track. I end up just using the handle to drag the tires because if I need to choke up on the rope to go around tight corners it is easier. Long straits though the harness is the way to go.

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ak greeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by Kincaider View Post
    This is the set up I use to drag and pack the trails. I tried a kids sled last year and a Kincaid cruiser/Pre chariot. Sleds tip on their sides too much. Also you have to out run them on snow shoes on the down hills & you get banged in the heels. The sleds donít do medium to tight corners well at all. The tires are R15 they create a way smoother surface and pull easier. They are 100% easier to pull around corners. By the way here are some picture of some packing we did on the serenity cir trails up to the pump house. We hit this with a older skandic then you can see where it turns into the tire groomed section.
    litespeed's break

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: damnitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,290
    Thank you
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    13
    Does the ol lady know you cut up her hockey stick?

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vmaxx4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    320
    You need to get yourself a vintage sled. I use my Sno-Jet to pack my trails. The track has shallow lugs and the ski stance is narrow. I'm putting together a "mini" Boa-Ski for next year. It is about 2/3 the size of my Sno-jet.


  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    42
    That's like a pre-"Jet" Snojet. The breed didn't really take off until they moved the engine off-center and started riding the front of the first real wave of snowmobile technology. I still have fond memories of the Thunder Jet 440 even if the Skidoo Skandic Tundra I'm taking up the Iditarod Trail would kick that machine's butt on a cross-country course. On the oval, though, on the oval.... OK, that's stupid reminiscing. What next, fond memories of Raleigh road bikes and Scandium Stumpies? Or Rocky R touting the Snowcat rim and a 2.55 Weirwolf as "all you'll ever need."

  12. #62
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,603
    That Sno;Jet is BADASS.

  13. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    88
    That is pretty cool. The trail width it lays down is pretty nice.

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    88
    Major props to Mark. He pulled a truck tire around the whole Kincaid STA system. Then he regroomed the inner loop last night. Thanks man youíre a animal. PS here is a picture I found while looking for groomer ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    72

    This just in.....

    Just got access to one of these through my work. Hope to try it out in the next couple days out at Kincade, the new snow should prove to be a good test of its ability. It is about 40 lbs empty and is usually filled with water but i will see how it does with some sand. It might get interesting on some of the short steeps if this baby gets rolling! Keep you all posted.......
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    88
    Was out with Maura Shea & AK Greef snowshoe packing and dragging the Inner loop down to 4 corners and the new connector and back. Added my new 6 pack of beer mod to the rear tire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter Singletrack Groomer-photo-120-.jpg  


  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Alhansen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    68
    Haven't poked my head in here for a while and almost forgot what new snow means to fatbiking. Means it doesn't happen; a lot more often. Also means one has to either a) do something else that day, or b) pack the trails themself just to ride. Don't know what I thought would have changed. More traffic? Better bikes? New equipment? Fatter tires?

    Nice dragging tool, though. Looks good. It also just doesn't look like any fun. Thanks for the reminder.

    Back to the couch. and cheetos

  18. #68
    Bikes are good
    Reputation: Elfbkr50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    851

    Dome Trail

    [QUOTE=forrestvt;9051823]Just got access to one of these through my work. Hope to try it out in the next couple days out at Kincade, the new snow should prove to be a good test of its ability. It is about 40 lbs empty and is usually filled with water but i will see how it does with some sand. It might get interesting on some of the short steeps if this baby gets rolling! Keep you all posted.......[/QUOTE


    Although, that might be a nice way to earn a Darwin Award.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

  19. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    88
    Al, It has been a long time. I can't say that dragging is fun thats for sure. Put a sixer in the cooler and it makes it a little easier. Definatly a good leg workout. I would definatly rather be riding than dragging. The guy in the parking lot at Jodpher yesterday with one one of the local bike shop stickers in his window told Ryan & I though " You know if you wait some one elese will pack the trails out" Huh?

  20. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Alhansen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    68
    That's right, someone else always does. A lady walks her poopy dog, somebody skis, a moose goes by, a runner, somebody feels guilty for leaving a new piece of exceptionally expensive equipment in the garage so drags their bike around for two hours.

    Meanwhile, back at the Lair, you watch back to back episodes of Magnum PI on Netflix and try not to get too fat off macaroni, cheese and Guiness. A day or so later, maybe in the early morning before work after the trails have had time to set up and after a few more pedestrians, moose, dogs and skiers have kicked it down some more, you venture out to find the trails amazingly marginally ridable.

    I developed a deep appreciation for all other trail users during winter riding on fat tires. 'Course, I HAD to, none of you were there with your six packs of beer and trail-smoothing confangleries (Seriously, you guys are badasses. Or addicts, there's little difference).

    Nawp, back in my day...

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhansen View Post
    That's right, someone else always does. A lady walks her poopy dog, somebody skis, a moose goes by, a runner, somebody feels guilty for leaving a new piece of exceptionally expensive equipment in the garage so drags their bike around for two hours.

    Meanwhile, back at the Lair, you watch back to back episodes of Magnum PI on Netflix and try not to get too fat off macaroni, cheese and Guiness. A day or so later, maybe in the early morning before work after the trails have had time to set up and after a few more pedestrians, moose, dogs and skiers have kicked it down some more, you venture out to find the trails amazingly marginally ridable.

    I developed a deep appreciation for all other trail users during winter riding on fat tires. 'Course, I HAD to, none of you were there with your six packs of beer and trail-smoothing confangleries (Seriously, you guys are badasses. Or addicts, there's little difference).

    Nawp, back in my day...
    Wow, this thread even drew Al out of retirement! Look what we've had to resort to now that we don't have you out packing them in at 0400 hours every day, Al. Get another fatbike, lasso yourself a truck tire and saddle up and ride. We need your enthusiasm out there! You're still the only guy I can think of that can push his bike for two hours through the fresh snow and still call it "bomber".
    c

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    42
    help. too much snow. can't keep up on the neighborhood trail. would anyone like to come drag a tire for me?

  23. #73
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: mtbxplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6,924
    Quote Originally Posted by vmaxx4 View Post
    You need to get yourself a vintage sled. I use my Sno-Jet to pack my trails. The track has shallow lugs and the ski stance is narrow. I'm putting together a "mini" Boa-Ski for next year. It is about 2/3 the size of my Sno-jet.

    A VT museum currently has a snowmobile exhibit, with a very similar '69 Sno-Jet 150, and you might like the '48 Bombarfier B-12.
    from Snow Mobiles: Sleighs to Sleds ę Shelburne Museum
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  24. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation: alaskamatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    268
    What about an Arctic Cat Kitty Cat? I think the tracks are 10" and total stance is said to be 17.5". Bonus it's light enough to throw around.

  26. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dudeist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    275
    https://www.google.com/search?q=arct...2BV-SQM%3AYeah, I thought about that too, but it's a 60cc motor-might need to get a little kid to ride it .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •