mtbr member
    Jul 2012

winter riding at kincaid?

new to alaska and was wondering if you can ride kincaid park in the winter time. thanks

mtbr member
    Not really on the ski trails, but all the singletrack, the STA trails, the coastal trail and the multi-use trail that follows the road into the park are fair game. Pretty much all of the groomed ski trails all over town, with the exception of paved multi-use trails even though they are tracked, are off limits for all but skiers. The Nordic Ski Association of Anchorage (NSAA) grooms all of the ski trails which is funded through yearly dues, so skiers are fairly vigilant about other user groups using them in the winter (i.e. dog walkers, walkers/runners, etc.). No matter, there are tons of trails all over that are killer for riding. I would also add that the best winter riding is probably over on the hillside. Anything that is open to snow machines in the Chugach is also open to bikes. There is a whole world waiting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Awesome can't wait thanks byw

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Does one need a fatbike to ride these trails?

Ologist
    Once they are packed down larger tires or studs can work pretty well.

mtbr member
    In the early season big tires are the best, for sure. Later, when the trails are packed, you can get by on skinnier tires but still fat bikes seem to do better as studs and knobbies dig into the trail too much and are slow. I've found that studs are really only worth a damn on ice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Dang... I just know Im gonna have to get me a fatty. The problem is, as soon as I get it they will come out with a full suspension bike and I will have to up-grade.