mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Winter Fatbike Exploring

I fly into Anchorage on December 12th with my Mukluk in tow for some winter bikepacking. I am looking for suggestions on iconic locations to cycle and also to put the word out that I would love to connect with local riders. I am looking to explore and document the area as much as possible.

I could also use a bit of ground support in Anchorage when I arrive, help in getting kit sorted and put back together as well as storing some gear while I am out on the trail.

Any help, advice, and suggestions is greatly appreciated. I will be in AK until the 25th of February.

Thanks,

Glenn
    Glenn Charles
    Adventurer | Photographer | Writer
    50,000 Miles of Human Powered Adventure

Follow along at www.thetravelingvagabond.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Glenn, I'm sure you will get plenty of help with the iconic rides. I'd also suggest giving yourself time to explore the riding in and around Anchorage itself. We have pretty amazing conditions to just go out and play for a day. There will undoubtedly be a number of offers to help with this too. PM me if it gets closer and you still need help. Steve
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Make sure you check out the ride between Hatcher Pass and Willow. I was up there yesterday, it's always amazing.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If you want to get out and away from town a bit, spend some time researching the maps of the trail systems around Knik/Big Lake and Willow.
    Big Lake Trails, Inc.
    Willow Trails Committee - Willow Alaska Community Organization

These trails get enough grooming and snowmachine traffic to setup into excellent winter bike trails with the right snow conditions and the entire area is relativly flat so makes for great fatbike travel. These trails can also get you out onto the big Susitna river which is like a winter hiway leading out into the more remote backcountry trails (including Iditarod trail).

Urban AK
    Jan 2008
    I live close to the airport in Anchorage. Depending on what time you get into town I may be able to help you with some ground support.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help and advice. I will get in touch with you Urban AK and let you know. Cheers, Glenn

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hey there-- I'm a newb here but I'm also near airport ... consider this an offer of plan B... Ride/storage/sandwich/no worry
    John

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks all. Based on numerous recommendations, I think I am going to change my flight to Feb1. Enough people have convinced me that I am nuts for coming during the Solstice with the extreme temps and the lack of daylight. I will re-post once my new plans are set and definitely take you up on your offers.

Warmly,

Glenn

mtbr member
    Febuary is just as cold and dark. I look forward to following you exploits around the state.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks, it will be fun either way.

Cheers,

Glenn

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by f00g View Post
    Febuary is just as cold and dark. I look forward to following you exploits around the state.
    Februrary is almost 6 weeks after winter solstace, daylight does start to improve by then. If Glenn is still staying for couple of months, that will put him here throughout March when there definitly is much more light and somewhat warmer weather. Only downside is that southcentral area snow/trails do start getting somewhat slushy in April but you also stand a chance of finding some crust-snow conditions then too for exploring off established trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    Februrary is almost 6 weeks after winter solstace, daylight does start to improve by then. If Glenn is still staying for couple of months, that will put him here throughout March when there definitly is much more light and somewhat warmer weather. Only downside is that southcentral area snow/trails do start getting somewhat slushy in April but you also stand a chance of finding some crust-snow conditions then too for exploring off established trails.
    Yes, I understand that February is 6 weeks later thus more sunlight, however the sun going down at 3:42 on the solstice compared to 5:09 on February 1 there is a rough difference of 2 hours 20 min between the months. the average temps in Anchorage are about the same, with less snow in February. Getting into March and April the weather starts getting warmer. I haven't gotten to go crust riding yest but I saw some pretty epic rides last spring from people crust riding down Turnagin Arm. I wasn't trying to discourage him, just let him know either way it will be dark and cold. Still looking forward to following him when ever he comes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Glenn and all-
    Another great backcountry route planning website to visit is;
    Alaska Backcountry Cross Country Skiing Web Site
    The author skiis on his trips but many of them would be doable on a fatbike too. Great pictures and maps from his adventerous routes. Go back through the pages that document Tim's adventures for each winter season.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the help. I have changed my flight to February 1. As with any trip, especially one that is in such cold and extreme conditions, flexibility is key to safely traveling long distances. Especially when you plan to live on your bike, in said conditions, for more than two months....

I realize that darkness and cold will be an issue, but looking at the amount of daylight beginning Feb 1 v. Dec 12th, I think it was a good decision. I appreciate all of the advice from everyone and hope that I can meet up with some of you when I am there.

Cheers,

Glenn