Willow Snow report

Printable View

• 11-23-2012
    GrayJay
    Willow Snow report
    I went up to Willow yesterday, not expecting much for snow yet but I took my fat bike along just in case. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Willow area looks to have received about 6" of cold powder snow about a week ago. Area trails are smoothing out and setting up nice with snowmachine use and some trail grooming by.
    I started out on a evening moonlit ride around the swap loop, temperature a chilly -5F. Got half way around the loop then suffered a flat tire half-way around. Foolishly, I went out unprepared for fixing a flat (riding my spare tube) so had to stash my bike off the trail and hike/run 5 miles back to cabin where I was staying.

If you are itching for some snow riding amid the drought of snow in Anchorage, Willow is a great option right now, just take a spare!
  • 11-23-2012
    damnitman
    Pinch flat or poked by a staub?
  • 11-23-2012
    GrayJay
    Quote:

Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    Pinch flat or poked by a staub?

I have not autopsied it yet, but I suspect it may have been a puncture through the casing, there was a lot of stubble from bushes poking up through the snow. Pretty sure I had plenty of pressure to prevent a pinchflat for the conditions, I was more worried about tire creeping along the rim and tearing off the tube valve-stem which has been the source of my last two flats.
  • 11-27-2012
    Valhalla
    There is snow in Big Lake too. The last storm brought 6" to the Su Valley and skipped Wasilla and part of Palmer. The lake systems are great for biking right now and they are quiet without all the snowmachine activity.