Thread: Why not here?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Why not here?

I often wonder why there are no companies doing tours like this in Alaska. There are several provinces, territories and states that have jumped on the mountain bike wagon. Why not Alaska?

Riding in the Yukon | NSMB.e.MAGAZINE - Freeride, Extreme and North Shore style Mountain Biking

Bikes are good

Well...

Biking in Alaska is unique, and there are some great rides to get out and enjoy. However, Alaska is light years away from great mountain bike trails that people want to travel so far to ride. Don't get me wrong, I love riding here, but there are several better riding destinations to check off the list than the 4 on the peninsula and the hillside and Kincaid in anchorage. The bummer is, we have more potential than some of the more popular spots, but can't build trails anywhere without massive efforts that doesn't even include manual labor. In Whitehorse, the city welcomes trail builders and supports efforts to build more biking trails. They have miles of singletrack mtn bike specific trails braided all over the hills around that city. Thus, the way rad trails and lucrative guiding businesses there. That pic on the link is on mountain hero btw, 3000ft+ of singletrack descent built specifically for bikers, by bikers. I think the builders may have even been paid to build that trail.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Keep in mind that I am new to Fairbanks and the whole biking issues this state has. While we are indeed yrs away from being a biking destination, there seems to be a move in that direction. Money is being spent in Fairbanks on non-motorized trails, bike park and of course the Ester Dome single track. And I am under the impression that the Hatcher Pass trail will be completed next year, I have also heard of a fellow named Carlos that does tours out of Healy, although he does not reply to phone calls or emails. We have so much potential, just need a strong voice and the funds.

mtbr member
    Hit-up state rep Neil Foster in Juneau. He does Ironman type stuff and one of his aides is into AM type riding. No doubt they would lend a friendly ear if you have a real plan.
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Alyeska is trying, but its going to take awhile and I don't see it really serving anyone but the locals for the most part. Why go to Alaska when you can go to BC? I often wonder at the fact that there is not single track snaking around the upper elevations at Glenn Alps. The state moves slowly and is not necessarily supportive of trail building. Look at what is happening with the Rabbit Lakes trail - one hand is putting up 'no bikes' signage while the other hand proposes opening the trail to bike users in the draft parks plan. Lots of red tape needs to be eliminated and a trail building culture needs to develop before things really begin to happen.