Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Where you riding this weekend?

Might be our last weekend without snow... Anybody doing any rides this weekend?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    In Juneau we still have close to a month of riding left!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Doesnt seem fair.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Started snowing up high about an hour after I posted that!

Alaskan dirt junkie
    Lost lake is still riding well. I was up there last Sunday and it was great.

Alaska Turner Mafia

Devils Pass - Res to Cooper Landing

Two coworker friends from the UK are really into mountain biking and into experiencing all the trail riding Alaska has to offer while they're here. They've ridden Johnson's Pass in the spring before all the blowdowns were cleared out and said it was bloody he!!.

I had mentioned that trail is fun once it's cleared, but Devils Pass up to Resurrection, and then down to Cooper Landing is a fun ride also, and we might be able to fit it in before it snows or gets too sloppy. Besides, the shuttle takes up a minimal amount of time for a Kenai ride. Not knowing how churned up it was from the hunting parties with pack horses, we decided to take a chance yesterday. Besides, I attempted this ride earlier this year and bailed, so I had to redeem myself. The weather forecast was iffy, but we were prepared for any conditions.

We were on the trail at first light, with temps below freezing. The cold temps were actually in our favor as the trail was solid frozen, no mud to speak of at all, which afforded super traction. That was quite the relief because my biggest fear was with all the rain and flooding we've experienced lately I dreaded a daylong muddy slog. The vegetation has died off, so no brush or cow parsnip threat. Tons of bear scat full of high bush cranberries, but never saw one. However, I've never seen so many grouse ever on this route.

Waterfalls freezing up.

Creek crossings were still manageable.

Here's a shot that shows the typical trail tread, frozen and firm. Our only real hazard was avoiding the ice as none of us rode with studded tires.

Even Devils Pass Lake was completely ice covered already. It doesn't look it here because the ice is so clear, but yes there's a layer there.

We took a sandwich break just south of the Res intersection just prior to the long downhill to the Swan Lake tee. While munching it started to snow. That lasted only half an hour or so, not enough to accumulate or change the trail conditions. The rest of the ride into Cooper Landing was fantastic.

As we completed the vehicle shuttle back to Devils Pass it started snowing hard, and continued to do so the entire drive back to Anchorage, only to arrive to an accumulated inch of the stuff in my yard! Wow, was our timing spot on. That was probably the last hurrah for that trail unless we break out the Fat Bikes! Fun stuff.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Sounds like a GREAT ride, how long where you in the saddle? The pics you posted are amazing!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Homer beaches were good this weekend. Pics in the Fatbike beach riding thread.
    Latitude 61

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by curly1 View Post
    Sounds like a GREAT ride, how long where you in the saddle? The pics you posted are amazing!!
    Not sure of time spent strictly riding, but overall time elapsed was 5 1/2 hours. That includes photo ops, sandwich breaks, checking out the canyon overlook, chatting with other riders, etc. Pretty casual but fun.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    "Hey thats my brother"
    Wow guys looks like you had a stunning if not well timed ride, one question did Matty fall off (run out of talent) at any time
    I only ask as he did last time we rode the Forest of Dean.
    Dave Tabinor, UK
    Last edited by Tabs24; 10-16-2012 at 03:48 AM.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabs24 View Post
    "Hey thats my brother"..... one question did Matty fall off (run out of talent) at any time....
    Dave, I assume "Matty" is a younger brother? Hmmm....I'll have to let all his employees in on his nickname!

Actually, both were real troopers. I've got to hand it to Matty, he rode the entire length with bare legs in below freezing conditions, and was never uncomfortable! I don't think he ever took a spill, as a matter of fact he mentioned how he's ready to wax his brother on their next ride together! Watch out, he's tough!

Here's some more of "Matty" in action.

Climbing to the pass.

Trying not to get wet feet.

Genuinely enjoying the ride!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando View Post
    Dave, I assume "Matty" is a younger brother? Hmmm....I'll have to let all his employees in on his nickname!
    "younger brother" he wishes, he is the oldest out of us three, I'm the youngest and then Andy is in the middle
    "matty" is not really a nickname just what i call him, if you want a nickname try "TAZ" its what all three of us were known as at school.

Alaska looks like a stunning place to ride, might have to put it on my bucket list of places to ride.

its really great to see matty out biking seeing as his two brothers are bike mad.

Thanks for the extra photos of him

P.S. great to see him using his RRP guard that i got him

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Frederick watershed this friday and saturday morning

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Anyone been to the Dome lately?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbslim View Post
    Anyone been to the Dome lately?
    Where is this at ?

Eklutna here I come! Its washed out but I need to feel my legs burn!!!

Bikes are good

Dome is perfect

Frozen mud with a bit of dry snow on the top. Smoking fast yesterday, should stay good while this weather pattern is here. Headed to Johnson pass Sunday if there are interested people. Haven't decided on fatback or not yet. I'm thinking the amount of snow on it is minimal. Any thoughts out here? Is lost lake still riding good?
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    Frozen mud with a bit of dry snow on the top. Smoking fast yesterday, should stay good while this weather pattern is here. Headed to Johnson pass Sunday if there are interested people. Haven't decided on fatback or not yet. I'm thinking the amount of snow on it is minimal. Any thoughts out here? Is lost lake still riding good?
    Just saw a friend post that he tried Johnson Pass today. More snow than expected and he said he would have rather had the snow bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    How long is the Johnson Pass ride?

Bikes are good

Cool then...

I think that trail is 24 -27 or something. Snowbike it is.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Kodiak is super fast right now with all this cold weather. Conditions are perfect!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    As of thursday there was 6 to 8 inches of snow at the north trail head. Might be a bit of a slog but Portage was the same and it had melted a bit as of this afternoon, still maybe 4 to 6 inches with the deeper snow in open areas. It made for a good workout but was rideble.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where you riding this weekend?-portage-october-ride-0061.jpg  

Where you riding this weekend?-portage-october-ride-0091.jpg  

Latitude 61

Bikes are good

3 degrees,

At the north trailhead at 10:30 this morning. Clear skies and a very good looking packed trail had us excited to get going. The good trail stopped at the first steel bridge and we were then breaking trail on 4 in of snow with at least an inch of hoar frost feathers. Rideable, but slow. Depth increased as we made our way to the lakes, the turnaround. It was tough going, but a real cool first winter ride. Pretty fast on the way out of there. Should be good riding until the next snowfall. Tried to post pics from my phone but it isn't working for that. I'll put some up tomorrow.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Fatbacking Anchorage's Frozen Coastline! Made it about 5 miles with only a couple spots having to go around.

mtbr member
    @Jordy:

How are you liking those feedbags?

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by smthgfshy View Post
    @Jordy:

How are you liking those feedbags?
    Love'em, always throwing food, drinks, phones, cameras, trash, batteries, etc

Still going strong 2 years later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast