mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Where to ride this weekend?

We are planning on buying a new bike for my wife tomorrow. (A Salsa Fargo) and it is my son's 17th b-day so the three of us wanted to go for a long ride.

We have mostly ridden the single tracks in the Anchorage bowl and once out a GPRA, so I would be up for driving an hour or so to find some new trails.

I was thinking maybe part of Johnson pass or Resurrection. Any thing else we should consider?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Johnson is technical and challenging. Very rewarding if you're okay with that. In my opinion, it's the most technical and challenging of the staple trails on the kenai. If you let your mind wander for an instant, you'll end up on your back. If you decide on Johnson I'd recommend the south trail head. The lower half is better maintained. Resurrection is less rewarding, but less challenging and probably a better trail to test a new bike, while still being a good ride. I rode lost lake last weekend and conditions were still favorable. A little further of a drive, but also a good ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I donít know what your wifeís level of experience is but most of the trails to the south have a fair amount of climbing to them and some tech stuff as sushi said. If she is more of a beginner you might think about Eklutna Lake itís a nice double track a very good trail for a first long ride. Saturday is human traffic only, but Sunday is open to 4 wheelers.

sluice box
    Also not technical is Trail of Blue Ice in Portage Valley. Park at the Moose Flats ponds and bike toward the lake. You can make it longer by riding the road back to the tour boat dock and ride up Byron Glacier Trail. Makes a good out and back ride.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Most of her off orad experience has been Kincaid single track and she does fine, but we are not aggressive riders to begin with.

Having hiked Lost lake, I am sure she can bike it. I assumed we would start on the north, push the bikes up and ride south.

I am thinking Eklutna may be good because it is easy and she will be on a new bike, and dirt drops may take some getting used to.

How are the trails at Bradley-Kepler lakes? I kind of want to check them out because sometimes I take the whole family (6 of us), and I like to have been on trails before I we all go.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by samwe View Post
    Most of her off orad experience has been Kincaid single track and she does fine, but we are not aggressive riders to begin with.

Having hiked Lost lake, I am sure she can bike it. I assumed we would start on the north, push the bikes up and ride south.

I am thinking Eklutna may be good because it is easy and she will be on a new bike, and dirt drops may take some getting used to.

How are the trails at Bradley-Kepler lakes? I kind of want to check them out because sometimes I take the whole family (6 of us), and I like to have been on trails before I we all go.
    I'm not sure where the Johnson Pass thing came from. Most technical? If she can do Lost Lake, she can surely do JP. Both ends of LL get fairly technical at the end, and the long downhill towards Seward has quite a few steep/narrow sections that you tend to forget are there until you get back on the trail. A friend crashed on one of those, which kind of reminds me from time to time of this, that and seeing another guy fall off the trail on a fatbike 30 feet down the side in an instant. I can't remember anything significant about Johnson Pass. Long trail if you go end to end to end, lots of creek crossings when we did it, but no do-or-die sections, nothing really technical, nothing like the LL root-descent on the Primrose side or the water-fall rock crossing on the Seward side. Mostly just fun stuff both ways on JP, more like Russian Lakes IME than LL. I'd rate LL as one of the more technical rides on both ends, and if she is fine with that, no issues IMO.

Bradley-Kepler is fine, kind of like Kincaid, nothing crazy.

Starting at the North of LL, pushing up, and riding south will be awesome. The best part of the trail is along Lost Lake and all the way to the bottom at Seward, so for your money, that's a great way to do it. You'll know when you are almost at the top, as the trail becomes impossibly steep and riding is totally out of the question, and then you all of a sudden pop out and it's just absolutely amazing from there-on.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    What's challenging about JP, in my opinion, is the overgrowth. Specifically, the northern half. There's about 12 miles from North TH to the lakes, almost all of those miles involve rock dodging, overgrowth that won't allow you to see your wheel (and the trail), or both. It's also the only trail I've ever been charged by a brown bear. JP from the South TH is very similar in difficulty to Lost Lake, but a much much longer climb. Riding LL, you focus for a couple miles and you're up top above the treeline. JP, you focus for 12 miles, never get above the tree line, and then your reward is a long downhill back to your car. It's a serious commitment. Fun, but definitely a workout.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    My wife had a bad headache in the AM that delayed us, so we ended up just going to Eklutna. Because it was not a hard trail it worked well for her to get acquainted with her new bike.

We all enjoyed the ride and I think we need to go back with the whole family and camp so we can do some hikes.

Long Lake is still on our list to ride someday. It will be easier to work on that list now that she has a better bike.