mtbr member
    Oct 2006

What rims for Schwalbe Big Apples on Pugsley?

Hi all,

Can I use "normal" sized rims on a Pugsley when using 700x2.35 Big Apples? For example, can I use Sun Rhyno Lites/Mavic A719s? Or must I use Bontrager/KH/Snow Cats? Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guruguhan
    Hi all,

Can I use "normal" sized rims on a Pugsley when using 700x2.35 Big Apples? For example, can I use Sun Rhyno Lites/Mavic A719s? Or must I use Bontrager/KH/Snow Cats? Thanks

You should be fine with any mtn width rim ~24mm. Narrower like a road rim is probably doable but not a as good, because the tire will have a tendency to roll to the side at lower pressures and feel less stable. May also be difficult to seat. Preferably something a little bit on the wider side. The Rhino Lites would be good for that tire, but really any 29er specific rim should work.

mtbr member
    Doh! Forgot about the whole offset thing. That creates a whole other set of problems.
    Iím not sure what will work other than an offset drilled snowcat.

I laced up a Bontrager OSB 29er rim to use on my Wildfire a few years back and I wasnít thrilled with the result. I experimented with all possible spoke length variations, but the tension was always wacky because there was just too much dish to get that rim in the right spot. I ended up using it for about 3 weeks on a ride down the Alcan and the rim died (broke apart at all the eyelets) about 400 miles shy of Seattle.
    Anyway, there are probably many factors that could have contributed to the rims failure, but I think having the weird spoke tension to accomplish the offset had a lot to do with it.

So.. If you donít want to experiment and donít mind going with the snowcat that is probably the best solution.. Now the tough part, getting 29er snowcats.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Oh - thanks. I was hoping that the offset rims were only necessary in the larger width rims (SnoCats/Large Marge). I hoped that maybe in a smaller width rim, the offset was not necessary. I was sure I'd read about people using non-offset rims on a Pugsley. Anyone else have other experiences?

Thanks again pbasinger

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sorry for the pesturing - but can someone pleae confirm that I can't use Sun Rhyno Lites and any non-offset rim on a Pugsley? I've seen pictures of Snocats - they aren't offset are they? I've also heard of Unicycle rims used - and I don't think they were offset either. Of course, I'd like to use Rhyno Lites since this will be a second set, and they are inexpensive.

And just a reminder, this is for Big Apples, not Endomorphs

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Snow cats come offset and not offset. The KH rims are not offset.
    You can make a non offset rim work, but it is far from ideal because of the dramatic dish and uneven spoke tension. If this qualifies as being able to use them for you, then go for it.

If you donít mind having your wheels not dished center to the frame and fork, you can throw a regular wheelset in there because there is probably enough clearance but itíll look really weird ( both wheels will be off to the right) and you might pedal in circles.

Look at your frame from the back. See the 17 mm that the dropouts swing over to the right side. Look at the Pugsley wheel and see how far offset the spoke holes are from the center. Look at the dish. Imagine it without the offset spoke holes. Almost more like a bowl than a dish right? Youíre asking a lot from a regular rim.

Also might want to search the 29er board for some ideas on an offset regular mtn rim.

Easier way to run 700c big apples:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Ebb+Frame.aspx
    http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adult...ocog-29er.html
    http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?...=11&itemid=382

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks pbasinger

Do you have a source for offset SnoCats? Last time I checked with Wildfire, they did not have any. Wildfire actually recommended both the Bontrager and KH rims, so I'm not so sure what to do. Should I just bite the bullet and get another set of Large Marges and use the Big Apples on them?

mtbr member
    I have 2.35 29er Big Apples on 29er SnoCat rims.