Thread: wasilla

blet drive

wasilla

any one know if there is good riding around this area?
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

Ologist
    I don't really know of any trails in Wasilla. For winter riding there are several areas close by - Big Lake, Point Mackenzie to the Su, Willow, Hay Flats, Moose Range, Crevasse Moraine, Matanuska Lakes, Knik Glacier, Talkeetna, Mat River Park, the old railroad bed, and Hatcher Pass area. Also, all the atv/snowmachine trails that parallel the roads are excellent for riding.

Most of the same areas are accessible also in the summer. The trails on the side of the road are the first to dry for summer and have excellent flow. They can make a commute very rewarding and provides hundreds of miles of potential riding before the dust kicks up. Mat Lakes area also dries out early due to the wind.
    2007 Ti Fatback
    2010 Ellsworth Epiphany

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
    I don't really know of any trails in Wasilla. For winter riding there are several areas close by - Big Lake, Point Mackenzie to the Su, Willow, Hay Flats, Moose Range, Crevasse Moraine, Matanuska Lakes, Knik Glacier, Talkeetna, Mat River Park, the old railroad bed, and Hatcher Pass area. Also, all the atv/snowmachine trails that parallel the roads are excellent for riding.
    Can anyone tell me more about riding the Hay Flats?

I don't suppose anyone is mapping these places.

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by kylehampton View Post
    Can anyone tell me more about riding the Hay Flats?

I don't suppose anyone is mapping these places.
    You might go to ADF&G's or DNR's website for Hay Flats/Moose Range/Knik info. There are maps for the other areas online at their respective land management websites (State Parks - Hatcher/Mat Lakes; Borrough - Crevasse/Mat River/Knik). Big Lake Trails, Mat-Su Ski Club, Valley Mountain bikers and Hikers would also be a good resources.
    2007 Ti Fatback
    2010 Ellsworth Epiphany

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Valhalla, did you mention Creavas Moraine? I haven't ridden my bike there but I ride the horses over there all the time, it looks great for biking! Archangel Trail, up Hatcher, is also really fun.

Ologist
    Yes - the Crevasse Moraine Trail system (Mat-Su Borough) and Mat Lakes (State ) is by far the best snow free riding in the Valley. Lots of single track now with connectors so time on wider trails can be minimal. I ride a couple of times a week there in summer but rarely go there in the winter because trail conditions are so variable. If you started at the Crevasse trailhead you could get on Mooseberry Mesa pretty quick. It is the connectors from Long lake that can be hit or miss. I have not been on the new singletrack connector in winter, but Bearbeary Bluff (Mat Lakes) is a great ride in summer .
    2007 Ti Fatback
    2010 Ellsworth Epiphany

blet drive
    in order to ride good single track you need to drive?

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEKID5 View Post
    in order to ride good single track you need to drive?
    Unless you can link up some single track with the road side trails....Wasilla is not really known for non-motorized recreation. In fact when I ride I get stares as if people are saying "hey, where's da motor on that ther cycle".
    2007 Ti Fatback
    2010 Ellsworth Epiphany

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Generations ago, the city founders of Wasilla wisely embraced a master development plan that set aside generous swaths of greenbelt parks to provide outdoor recreation opportunities and foster a stong sense of community! Oh, wait - wrong town...
    In actuality, Wasilla seems to have been founded on the concept of unzoned suburban sprawl, strip malls and a large application of big-box storefronts. All the above mentioned mat-su singletrack options are at least 8-10 miles from downtown Wasilla.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

maps

Best maps for the Matanuska Greenbelt (Crevasse-Moraine on the north, Mat Lakes SRA on the south and university properties in between) are probably here: Trail Maps - Matanuska Greenbelt
    Area is fairly well signed - at least once you get to the trailheads. Road signs are lacking for all except MLSRA.

blet drive
    thanks for the info

blet drive
    Any good bike shops in town

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Mat river park is fun. Rode there last Sunday short loops but loads of fun and it's only 10 minutes from my house...by bike
    As for bike shops Back country Bike and ski in Palmer. Very nice folks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The Palmer bikes shop is great, the bike shop here in Wasilla is not worth your time, they don't enjoy biking and they dont support the biking community.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by curly1 View Post
    the bike shop here in Wasilla is not worth your time, they don't enjoy biking and they dont support the biking community.
    Sounds like an an accurate description of the entire town! ( I have room to talk here, I was a graduate of WHS years ago...)

blet drive
    thanks all

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by curly1 View Post
    The Palmer bikes shop is great, the bike shop here in Wasilla is not worth your time, they don't enjoy biking and they dont support the biking community.
    I've had nothing but good experiences at the shop in Wasilla. Baught my first bike from them just over 20 years ago and many others since. I suggest going to the one you prefer and just enjoy as much time riding as possible.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    All I know is that if you are on your way to Talkeetna for a race and forgot your Co2 and want to by $7 worth of C02 cartridges The Wasilla bike shop is more than happy to charge you $20 for them. BTW if this happens to you just go to AIH down the block and get them for $5. Wasilla Bike Shop Wha Wha.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    When you go into the bike shop in Palmer Tony's guys make you feel welcome, you sit down and BS about biking and get new trails to ride or whatever; they clearly love biking. They also support the local biking community big time. Tony and his guys were instrumental on the recent Talkeetna race.
    The bike shop in Wasilla does none of these things; it's a business for them, not a passion.

mtbr member
    I hear that during the winter time the river bottoms are some good riding. Not been up there riding personally, but plan to sometime soon. I may be moving up there from Anchorage, so I'm keeping my eye on this thread to see what kind of tips I can get as well.