mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Warmest booties?

Who makes the warmest fleece-lined neoprene cycling booties/shoe covers currently available? I would like to try wearing a warm bootie over a winter mtb shoe + wool socks for temps down to 10 degrees.

GripGrab makes a pair of 4mm fleece-lined neoprene booties that look very toasty but the site is not in English and I could not find an online source.

Are last year's Pearl Izumi Toester booties the next best option?
    Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Dave, I've tried a few, and seen quite a few others. So far the ones that seem to have the most insulative properties are the Performance brand. They are just like you described; thick neoprene (5mm I believe) with a microfleece lining. The price is way more reasonable than Gucci brands too. My first pair lasted me about five years with some serious miles involved but eventually the rubber soles shredded. Then I saw them on sale for $19.99 and bought two pair!

Be sure to buy them a couple sizes larger than your shoes, especially if you are riding with a dedicated winter shoe, since you may buy those larger than normal anyway to accomodate thick socks and possibly felt insoles. If the fit is too snug for the booties you'll really stress the rear entry zipper.

There are a couple of downfalls with the booties though: the lack of any lugs on the sole for times you may have to walk in snow is one, and no insulation on the sole is another. Some old tires and needle and thread fixed the first symptom for me, but I have to tell you that nearing the 10 degree mark will definitely be their limit, moreso if you're out for a really long ride. Beyond that something more serious will be required. As you can see with mine I'm still using clipless pedals and that cleat transfers a lot of cold. If your shoe is outfitted with a warm insole that'll make a huge difference.

I use them a lot for an extra layer, but my Lakes do pretty well even without the booties. The winter shoes are large enough that I can even put a chemical hand warmer packet inside over my toes (my most vulnerable area) and ride for hours. If it's colder than 10 or it's going to be an all-dayer, break out the pac boots with platforms at least.

Rando
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

viva la v-brakes!
    Dave, the Trek brand booties and another brand called SideTraks are also pretty thick, I looked at the Performance, but for some reason I passed and went for the Trek instead.

Rando, that sew up job on those booties is pure genius! Thanks for the tip!
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

PM Me for Wood Fenders

How are the treks?

I'm getting into winter riding and looking at the Trek booties. I like the idea of 5mm as compared to the majority I see having 3mm. They are a bit more than the others, but at 40 bucks I can live with that. Also...I have sette mountain bike shoes size 45...I've read that I should buy a bootie with a size 46 or 47...is that correct? I figured they would be built over sized. How do the treks fall into that aspect?

Thanks

Fatback

warm booty

Damn, I saw "warmest booties" and then find out you guys are talking about clothing. Once again I'm talking Gorgonzola and everyone else is thinking Brie. I had Mexico in mind. There's your A to B, right there

mtbr member

Chemical warmers

FYI, those chemical hand warmer packets come in a foot warmer configuration as well. Smaller, thinner with a rounded "front" end to fit under the row of toes. I use mine on 10F rides in my normal sized Lakes.
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives