mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Want to Ride Anchorage June 2-3

Hey people. I will be in Anchorage June 1-3 and would love to rent a bike and ride on the 2nd and 3rd. Hoping to find a riding buddy or group ride, if possible. I ride 4-5 days a week and I enjoy riding more technical stuff when I can. I'm used to really rocky and stuff here in Pennsylvania and climbing is fun. But I am really after some good views and getting some great pictures along the way. Advice on where to rent is appreciated as well. I wish I could bring my bike bike but too much effort for only a few days. I ride a Santa Cruz Tallboy LTC, so I am hoping to find a higher end bike shop to find a trusty rental steed.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    For rentals check out Chain Reaction or the Trek store. As for trails, a lot will depend on weather. The high country will likely still have snow on it so you'll probably be looking at trails closer to sea level. The gull rock trail in Hope is pretty, covered in roots, and should fulfill your techroot needs, although it can be fairly brushy that time of year Gull Rock Mountain Bike Trail, Girdwood, Alaska . There is some stuff here in Girdwood that would also fall into the techroot category but navigation is a bit more difficult. Anchorage has awesome trails but they are more flowy and not all that techy. They offer some nice views but generally tend to wind through lower elevation trees (Hillside offers some nice views in places). Have a look here Singletrack Advocates . The south facing stuff will be the first to melt out in the higher elevations but keep in mind that heavy hanging snow-packs can send wet slides down into low elevations often crossing trails and just because the trail is clear doesn't mean there is no danger from above. This trail is mostly south facing Devils to Resurrection Mountain Bike Trail, Bear Creek, Alaska but there are some rather large avy chutes above the trail to consider. If you're interested in riding in Girdwood PM me. I'm usually riding most evenings (stays light out late that time of year). Enjoy your trip to AK and don't forget the bear spray
    To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman.