mtbr member
    May 2009

Visiting Anchorage, seeking trail recommendations

I'm coming up to Anchorage to visit a friend Thurs-Sun this week. On Thurs-Fri I will be on my own with access to a car. Looking for recommendations of trails within a 0-2 hour drive of Anchorage. I like classic loops with nice views (who doesn't): ride up long dirt roads or singletrack then bomb down singletrack. I like rolling hills/XC too.
    Born and raised in Seattle, not afraid of some elevation. In my current shape (not great) I could probably do max 3000' in a day.

I hope to rent a full suspension or hardtail MTB somewhere in Anchorage. Recommendations for rental s?

Been reading this thread and it looks awesome:
    Kenai Peninsula Trail Conditions

Also I heard Kincaid Park has lots to explore, true?

Any recommendations appreciated, and if anyone wants to meet up and ride, lemme know!

mtbr member
    Kincaid has some amazing trails, as does Far North Bicentennial park/Hillside. Both are right in town. A nice, easy ride can be found out at Lake Eklutna just north of town. This ride isn't challenging, but has some awesome views of the lake and the surrounding mountains and if you follow the trail back far enough you can see a really neat glacial valley with some cool side hiking opportunities. Up in MatSu there are the Crevase Moraine/Keppler Bradey trails, which are some fun riding, but without as much in the way of views - these are generally XC ski trails, so sharp declines/inclines dominate with wide curves, though there are some single-track sections available with some good climbing and tight, technical sections.

Someone else will have to chime in on rental options, but I might suggest this: Rent a fatbike. They are the bomb for bombing trails. A bit slower and a heft up the hills, but smile-inducing all the way around.

mtbr member
    DH at Alyeska is pretty fun too.
    "Speed focuses the mind. It cuts through the fog of drab everyday living and keeps us on our toes."

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hey thanks guys. Looking forward to the trip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    you could check the paramount bike shop group ride thread below. there's an open group ride thursday night @ 730 if you are interested in Kincaid Park.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Follow/ride report. I ended up renting a nice full suspension 29er at Chain Reaction Cycles. $50 per day for 2 days but totally worth it. I visited 3 tourist bike rental places in downtown Anchorage near 4th street and all of the bikes were beaters or 19"/XL size. Highly recommend Chain Reaction. Not cheap or close to downtown but worth it.

On Thursday I rode Russian Lakes trail from the trailhead up to the upper lake. Massively overgrown but a nice ride. Didn't see any bears, saw bear scat a few times, saw a lot of salmon in the river.

On Friday I did Kincaid. Came tearing around a corner and almost ran into a huge moose. Then it started to rain so I hightailed it back to the Raspberry parking lot.

Pics here:
    Alaska Aug 2013 - a set on Flickr