rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Vintage mt. bikes in Alaska

What is your oldest functioning mt. bike that can still be taken out on the trails?
    Please list by manufacture, model and year it was built.

FatBike Fiend
    '83 Specialized Stumpjumper. Several trips to Utah, 3 month tour around New Zealand, stomped on by irate momma grizzly twice, numerous adventure rides in Alaska, still functions. Those were the days!

mtbr member
    Just a couple months ago I sold a 1985 chrome Ross Mt. Whitney. I regret it already!

Not sure if it's quite "vintage" but I just raced Kincaid XC #1 on my 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler. And I also have a '96-97? Klein Pulse Comp that I converted to single speed and I've been riding that a few times a week.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi !
    Nice history, did you purchase the bike in Alaska and are you are the original owner ?

FatBike Fiend
    Hey Rio, I bought it brand new at Beaver Sports in Fairbanks in "83. I remember it causing quite a sensation as hardly anyone had seen or heard about mountain bikes then. It's not totally original, I upgraded many of the parts over the years as they wore out or broke and it's been repainted twice. It probably has at least 8000 miles on it. It still has the og bar/ triangle stem and double-crown rigid fork, though. I'll have to dig it out of the shed, air up the tires and post a pic. Maybe even go for a ride!

mtbr member
    That is a very debatable question. I am unsure of how to answer that but in most situations I would say that as long as the integrity of the frame is solid and it runs smooth and there are no cracks in the tires you should be fine. As for a specific bike I would have to say that the oldest bike that you could saftly use would be a bile used by the buffalo soldiers during the 1800's after some research I could not derrermine the exact model of the bike however I dis find some pictures.
    "If you have built castles in the air, that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
    -Thoreau