mtbr member

Tires for Kodiak

Hello again!

So I am trying to figure out what I need to buy for the bike before I come up there as I can get some really good discounts right now (work at Performance p/t)... I currently ride a Nevagal up front with a Small Block 8 in the back... pretty sure this combo won't work in Kodiak, so what seems to be a good tire for the majority of the year (pre-stud season)?

Also, anything else specific to Kodiak I might want to pick up prior to coming up there? I also plan to ride quite a bit of road when the weather permits...

TSCheezy?

thanks guys!

Chris
    Like is too short to grow up, go ride a bicycle!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Mud tires are good, I'm running the stock control and purgatory on my enduro. There is a new tire by WTB called the Kodiak, if you had those than you'd be ready. LOL. Get something that grips to wet sticks and roots. I haven't put on my studs yet but once it ices up I have some Klondike 2.1's.

mtbr member
    just looked at the Kodiaks... great looking tire, only problem is they look like they're for 29ers only... I have a 26" Superlight...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
    Also, anything else specific to Kodiak I might want to pick up prior to coming up there?
    I may be extra-prepared, but I'd say to add a good gun--IF you are comfortable with one. Don't bring one if you aren't already capable with one. And don't go buy a special gun just for Alaska. If you have a pistol you are already comfortable with, that's better than a new gun that you have to get used to. Most people will advocate pepper spray for bears. Spray is better than nothing, but it's nowhere near as good as a gun. Kodiak gets some fierce wind. And spray is all but useless in the wind. For riding, a traditional belt holster is usually the best way to carry, but you need a belt for that--so make sure your cycling clothing has belt loops. If you carry anything for bears--spray or gun--it needs to be immediately accessible. Dropping it in a backpack isn't much better than leaving it in the cabin.

Also be sure you have a good rain cover and some warm gloves. A small survival/comfort kit is a good thing to keep close up here. If you plan to camp, you need to read up on bear safety. Some of the rules are counter-intuitive. One of the better books I've found for Alaska-specific camping lessons is Alaska On Foot by Erik Molvar.

I'm more a camper and hiker than a biker, so I probably wouldn't notice if I had the "wrong" tire. I'd just slip a bit and still have fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

No, that's not phonetic
    The hands down, best ever tire for Kodiak is no longer made. It's the Nokian Gazzaloddi Dual 2.3 (or Core 2.3: really a Dual with folding bead). RIP.

Nevegals 2.3s aren't bad when it's not super wet out. Kenda sticky rubber SUCKS on ice though. Nothing worse. Nevegals are very light which is nice, and they work fine. I don't find the sticky rubber helps on wet rocks or roots though.

Maxxis ADvantage 2.4s are fun. Big tires, decent grip. I like those quite a bit, but they don't fit through all frames.

Maxxis Minion DH F(ront) and R(ear) 2.35 work well as a F&R combo. Durable tires too if you go with the 60a durometer.

Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4s are also light and grip quite well. They are super expensive though, so I only get those on sale.

Geax Datura 2.2 have about the most aggressive soft conditions tread you can imagine. They are also a bit heavy, but durable.

I don't know what brakes you run, but I won't touch anything other than Magura Louises since they run pretty much silently in every weather condition this island can dish out.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Thanks TS! probably go with the maxxis or Nics since I get a bike shop price... not sure a 2.35 would fit in my Superlight frame...

mtbr member
    btw- my bike currently has XTR discs on it... haven't had much wet weather experience here in SoCal...

I like the look of the Nobby Nics, they look pretty sweet and are pretty darn light...