mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Susitna / Yentna River trail update Feb 3-4

I rode from Deshka Landing in Willow to Skwentna Roadhouse on Saturday Feb 3. The first 15 miles down the Susitna River to the Yentna River was well-packed; averaged 10+ mph with 2.5” tires on snow cats. Heading up the Yentna was equally good for the next 35 miles. The last 15 miles before Skwentna Roadhouse became softer due to less traffic up-river from Lake Creek and Fish Creek. My average speed dropped to 7-8 mph over this section. 9am departure, 4:30pm arrival. Skwentna Roadhouse offers simple but comfortable accommodations with hot showers and good food; very biker friendly.

I just missed Brooks W at Luce’s Lodge on Saturday. He and the Su100 trail crew were putting in the last bit of Su100 trail from Eaglesong Lodge to Luce’s. I’m sure he’ll update the Su100 website with conditions soon.

Return trip Sunday was an hour slower, as hundreds of snow machines chewed up the trail a bit. Temps also dropped to -10F on the Yentna. I ran in to Peter B riding up the Yentna from Knik for a long ride Sunday/Monday. Maybe he could update on Su100 trail conditions from Knik Lake to Big Su?

mtbr member
    Knik to Flathorn are hard and fast
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I made it about 12 miles shy of Skwetna.
    Was worried about cutting it too close and not getting home in time to make it to class today so I turned around at about 6PM. Had a short, uncomfortable bivey just for practice and to remind me how much I hate sleeping out. Made it back to home, only falling asleep twice at red lights on Tudor, by 8:30 this morning.
    I was surprised how cold it was the whole time. Except for a warm pocket a few miles from Knik where it hit 7 degrees, the temps stayed between 2 above and minus 10.
    Trails sure are bomber, but there’s plenty of time for that to change.