k-2
    mtbr member

Susitna-100 and Little Su-50K

The Susitna 100 and Little Su 50K are back for 2014, registration opens September 1st for the 100 mile, and November 1st for the 50k race. Race dates are February 15-17, 2014. For more details see Susitna 100 - Home
    Last edited by k-2; 08-17-2013 at 05:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I can't wait......I hear the lathe are going to look extra special nice this year!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm really looking forward to this race! Thank you to those responsible!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm glad to see this race is back. Anyone out there have an opinion about the new course? I've only done the little su (50K), and am considering taking a crack at the 100 this year.
    c

k-2
    mtbr member
    Jusy a reminder... The Little-Su 50k registration opens tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Has anybody had any news or update from the susitna 100 organisation ? I'm wondering how the weather of those past few weeks and the few to come is going to impact the race. The soft snow or absence of snow, the warm weather, the river crossing and river riding don't seem to be the best conditions for a race that is supposed to start in less than 3 weeks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Watch the central area snowmachine trail reports at;
    Trail Reports

Last entries were almost 1 week ago. Some problems with overflow & crossings but it still sounds passable, but I would suspect that the recent freezing conditions will soon re-freeze any problem areas and the trails will all be rock-hard until there is fresh snow.

A more recent (1/27) Deshka landing report seems to indicate that the main big-Su trail is still passable. Deshka Landing Outdoor Association LLC

k-2
    mtbr member

Trail Conditions.

We spent most of the day yesterday out on the course, and were surprised at its decent condition given the recent warm weather.

The first five miles of the course that gets heavy Iron Dog traffic are the ones in the best shape. The snow machines are running studded tracks so they chop up the trail like shaved ice.

The trails through the woods still have hard packed snow, bumpy in areas.

Swamps are in fairly good shape as well. Some sections have frozen overflow, but it is avoidable in most places as the thick crust on the snow around the overflowed portions will hold foot and bike traffic.

At this time, the lakes are the most unpleasant part. There are deep ruts of frozen overflow and large areas of clear, frozen ice.

The weather could do just about anything between now and race day so keep in mind that the Su-100 is a wilderness race, be prepared for varied conditions!