Thread: Susitna 100

mtbr member

Susitna 100

Mike M or anyone have a list of Susitna 100 course records anywhere?
    The results on the webpage only go back so far and I canít seem to find any list anywhere for the fastest times in the various divisions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

bjarne may know...

Bjarne has all the results from the races going back to the (gasp!!!) Iditasport days. The fastest bike time is around 8:40 probably in 1997, the fastest run time is around 21 hours probably around 2000 or so and I have no idea of the fastest ski time but believe its under 13 hours.

Talk to Bjarne, he can likely find the times for you and then let me know and I'll have them posted on the Su 100 website.

Good question Pete and thanks for asking,

Mike
    Singletrack Advocates Anchorage, Alaska
    Susitna 100 "Race Across Frozen Alaska"

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Ak29
    Bjarne has all the results from the races going back to the (gasp!!!) Iditasport days. The fastest bike time is around 8:40 probably in 1997, the fastest run time is around 21 hours probably around 2000 or so and I have no idea of the fastest ski time but believe its under 13 hours.

Talk to Bjarne, he can likely find the times for you and then let me know and I'll have them posted on the Su 100 website.

Good question Pete and thanks for asking,

Mike
    Pretty sure the bike record was that ~8:40 from '97. Two Euro-roadie studs came over and pulled each other around the course. Their time was almost as impressive as their lack of cold-weather preparedness. Lucky for them it was a hard and fast year...

Pete, please let us know what you find.

MC

Wood chips are stupid

Ski

Pete,
    I think Fred Bull has the Ski Rrecord...2000.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

mtbr member
    Good info. Thatís a start. Have to put some names to those times.
    Funny, I actually asked Bjarne first, knowing that he used to keep results up on the web somewhere and he said to check with you Mike M. He did mention that he has results going back to the 90s and will figure it out if there is no official list anywhere which it seems there is not, so maybe next week when he gets back from a trip we can figure out the records. Iíll let you guys know.

Other question is, In what year did they start doing the current 100 mile lollipop course?

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger
    Other question is, In what year did they start doing the current 100 mile lollipop course?
    That was '97.

MC

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

That is correct sir

1997 was the first year of the 100 mile course. Prior to '97, cyclists & skiers did about 160 miles up to Skwentna & back while runners & snowshoers finished in
    Skwentna. This year the Susitna 100 is offering a "1049 Award" for those who have finished 10 of the 100 mile races, see susitna100 dot com for details.

Maybe we'll see Mike C again this Feb?

MIke

mtbr member
    So I guess one of the difficulties in compiling a list of division records would be the fact that the course has changed a few times over the years even within the lollipop format since 97.
    Iím not familiar enough with all the little changes that have taken place to even know what years could be clumped together as being equivalent races. I guess this might be a reason there really isnít a list of records anywhere.

Any thoughts on what years specifically could be put together? When the start was at Big Lake, was that a similar length course to the new start area?

I know 2003 was a completely different course.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

since 1997...

since 1997 the Susitna 100 has been about 100 miles, sometimes less, currently a bit more than 100 miles. My personal opinion on course records is that the weather and trail conditions play a bigger part in determining times than the various actual distances. As a winter only trail. the course is somewhat different each year anyway.

I no longer have my old results copies, but I think the times below are correct.

fastest foot time belongs to Timothy Hewitt and Tom Jarding, both of PA in 2000 22:15:00
    the likely fastest ski time is Tim Kelley of Anchorage in 2004 12:44
    the fastest bike time is a couple of Euro road pros in 1997 ~8:40

hopefully bjarne can validate these times when he unearths his Iditasport/Susitna records.

Mike

mtbr member
    Cool
    Thanks for figuring that out Mike.
    I agree that there are a lot of factors that contribute to the difficulty and times of any given year, so itís impossible to make a completely fair comparison, but those times will make for a good benchmark
    A sub nine hour bike record seems crazy to me. Must have been an incredibly hard packed year, but thatís still pretty damn fast.
    Now Jamey knows what he should be shooting for.
    Donít disappoint.