Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ^ The Trail Starts Here ^

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Surly Pugsley Fork or other

To all:

A few Surly Pugsley questions:

I don't own a Surly Pugsley, so some questions might sound as if I'm lost!

Does it have a 1-1/8 headtube?

Does anyone else other than Surly make a fork, and or, frame that will accept the 4 inch tire and wheel set-up?

Can I run 29 inch Wheels on a Surly Pugsely?

Thanks
    LC

[SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

Diaskeuast

A few answers

I just built my Pugsley two weeks ago, so you'll get more detailed responses from more knowledegable folks on the forum, but yes on the 1 1/8" head tube. And I know people here in Anchorage who are running Bontrager forks on Pugsley frames, as well as at least one guy running a really nice fork made by our local guy, John Evingson.

Or you could get a Wildfire Designs bike: http://www.wildfirecycles.com/home.html
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Baked Alaskan
    The 29er question is tough, yes you can, but it'll be odd. Pugs wheels are built to compensate for the Endomorph's girth by being offset a bit, something like 35mm if I remember right. That info is on Surly's site in the Pugs FAQ. But the Endo is about the same diameter as a 29er tire.

So if you build a set of "normal" wheels with the same dish they will fit and line up - I think. No guarantee as to their strength either.

I don't have the time to search, but there have been a few posts that show a regular wheel in the Pugs dropouts, I think the build post from "Dirtdad" had the pics.

As far as the forks - in addition to what's above, check out Tscheezy's posts, he runs a Maverick 29er fork and the Endo's clear, so he has ffont suspension on his Pugs.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Caveman
    Pretty sure you can run normal 29er wheels without the offset dish on the wildfires..

O'wild one?

You defientally dont want to do it with the pugsley and normal dish 29er wheels, it looks freak show and since they are not offset correctally, the tire contact patch will not lie along the axis of the frame and your center of gravity. if that makes sence...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pugs

To add to Tim's post, Pugs has an off-set frame, meaning the wheels are built a little to one side(17.5 for Pugs) so the chain won't hit the tire in low gears. Yes, you can use 29" wheels in Pugs, but they need to be built off-set to fit straight in the frame.
    As for forks, Surly will offer a front hub fork this summer as an option to the rear hub front fork that comes with Pugs. I've been riding the new fork and I can tell you, it rides like a fork! It has all the braze-on rack mounts in the right places, it's built specifically for the Pugs geometry, and it's black. And at 50+ below in Barrow for the 3 weeks I was there, I had no problems with the fork. Use this fork if you don't use a front brake (which most of us don't) or you don't mind deflating/inflating the tire each time you remove the wheel.
    The stock fork for Pugs fits a rear wheel which allows you to use a front disc brake without dealing with tire inflation, and allows another rear wheel option if you want to single-speed it.
    Right now the plan is for Pugs to come stock with the rear-wheel front fork, with the regular fork as an aftermarket item, but that could change if enough folks demand it.
    Pugs also takes a 100mm bottom bracket and I can gladly report that I've had zero problems with my ISIS BB. I'm not a big fan of ISIS, but the downhill version, which is what you have to get for Pugs' 100mm shell, has been flawless. We should see the Surly crank later this year which will offer an external bearing BB option for Pugs.

As for other fat tire frame builders, look no further than the Wildfire that Tim mentioned. Mark is the trailblazer when it comes to Snow Bike design and builds the finest fat-tire frames out there. And he rides....alot!

Pat

Mr.Secret
    No comment

Caveman
    a plug about the thunderwing perhaps?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ugh

Rick,
    you're no fun anymore....
    Ride 29ers and change your life forever....

P

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    I'm wondering about going the other way, trying to fit an endo into a regular 29er frame. When I get home I am going to mount one of my endos on to a snowcat and see if I can stuff it into the rear triangle of my sultan, this is what it looks like with with a weirwolf 2.55 LT
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

Mr.Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    Rick,
    you're no fun anymore....
    Ride 29ers and change your life forever....

P
    Pat, I've been ridin' 29er's for years, you know, those 700c road rockets those count don't they ?

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by R.T.R.
    Pat, I've been ridin' 29er's for years......
    These count don't they?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

FatBike Fiend

Warning: Technical Content

Hey Proformance,

Lesser known companies who have built or are still building fat wheeled frames and forks for quite a while now:
    Remolino, Icycle, Viscious, Wildfire, DeSalvo, Evingson, Gunnar, Moots, Willits. Of these, Wildfire, DeSalvo, Evingson (I think), Viscious, and maybe Moots are still making them. We also make forks for the FatBikes complete with rack braze-ons (in the right places, too) which are 465mm axle to crown distance so you can swap them out with a 29er suspension fork in the summer and not screw up the steering geometry.

29er wheels on your Pugsley:

The Wildfire FatBike frames I sell use a 19.5mm offset, I think the Pugs uses a 17.5 mm. I've been riding 29er wheels on my FatBike for quite a while now. On our frames, I have to build the rear wheel assymetrically to match the offset on the frame. I am a bit of a Clydesdale and I am still riding on the first one I built five years ago, it's a single wall Weinmann hybrid rim (all that was available at the time) not known for it's strength but it is still running true. Here's a couple things to keep in mind:

Hubs: There's quite a bit of variation amongst the various manufacturers and models available. I've had the best results with the Shimano six bolt disc hubs which have a spoke flange to non-drive locknut distance of ~36 mm. Some higher zoot factor hubs that are close to this include the Hugi/DT Swiss and Chris King. Don't use a WTB Laser Lite Disc or American Classic because the spoke flange to locknut distance is ~42 mm.

Rims: For a bit stronger wheel you can use a Bontrager Mustang OSB rim which has the spoke holes drilled off center by around 2 mm. There may be some other rim models available now which have off-center drilling.You'll need to flip it around bass ackwards from the normal orientation. The SnowCat 29er rims works great for this use because it can be drilled 10mm offcenter but good luck getting your hands on a pair.

Spoke Length:On most regular MTB wheels, you would use 2 mm shorter spoke lengths on the drive side as opposed to the non-drive side of the wheel. On a Pugs or FatBike you would use 3mm shorter spokes on the drive side, opposite from normal. The result of this is very tight spokes on the non-drive side and relatively looser spokes on the drive side because of the differant spoke lengths. Make sure you use a good thread lock compound to hold everything together as a precaution. Admitably not ideal as far as wheel strength, but it works. Probably not a good choice for really agressive riding, jumps, etc.

Forks: We've been using a 100mm spaced fork with no offset since the beginning. I havn't had problems getting the inflated tire past the brake caliper. It is a tight fit but it goes on okay with a little bit of wiggling at pressures less then 20 psi.

Hey Bones, is that chain gonna clear those Endomorphs on your Sultan? It looks kinda close in your photo.

Here's a picture of an off-center built 29er wheel that fits my FatBike and a Bontrager Mustang OSB rim.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wildfire; 03-23-2007 at 12:34 PM.
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Baked Alaskan

Nice...

Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    I'm wondering about going the other way, trying to fit an endo into a regular 29er frame. When I get home I am going to mount one of my endos on to a snowcat and see if I can stuff it into the rear triangle of my sultan, this is what it looks like with with a weirwolf 2.55 LT...
    Keep us posted on that one. The Sultan is calling me in a big way. That would derfinitely replace the Spot in my stable.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni

Not Sure...

yet what problems I will encounter. I have quite a bit of wiggle room though with BB spacers and I saw where Tscheezy JB welded two Der. hangers together to clear a Nokian. I think it will be fun just to see what I can come up with. I'll post some pictures if it works.
    -Sage Francis

Mr.Secret
    yet what problems I will encounter. I have quite a bit of wiggle room though with BB spacers and I saw where Tscheezy JB welded two Der. hangers together to clear a Nokian. I think it will be fun just to see what I can come up with. I'll post some pictures if it works.
    Clay, man, you're not really gonna' do that with your new Sultan are you ?

FatBike Fiend
    Clay, man, you're not really gonna' do that with your new Sultan are you ?
    I've got a hack saw and a pipe wrench if you need some help
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Mr.Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire
    I've got a hack saw and a pipe wrench if you need some help

Caveman
    play nice boys

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    I was also thinking of converting thee Sultan to a sweet a$$ dirt jump piece. I'm thinking a 150mm fork with a 24" rear wheel would work. How 'bout it Rick? you got any 48 hole 24" hoops in stock?
    -Sage Francis

Mr.Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    play nice boys
    I will but hacksaws and pipewrench's are kinda' girly, I was thinking along the lines of a splittin' mall

Mr.Secret
    I was also thinking of converting thee Sultan to a sweet a$$ dirt jump piece. I'm thinking a 150mm fork with a 24" rear wheel would work. How 'bout it Rick? you got any 48 hole 24" hoops in stock?
    Come on, 24" wheelz, whutz wrong with 20" 48 hole ? And you'll also need one of those de-tanglers on yer headtube so that yer cables don't break while yer spinnin' yer h-barz while airborne.......
    Last edited by R.T.R.; 03-23-2007 at 05:44 PM.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Screw brakes and gears.
    I'm thinkin one speed an old school "foot in the back tire" brakes.
    -Sage Francis

Mr.Secret
    Screw brakes and gears.
    I'm thinkin one speed an old school "foot in the back tire" brakes.
    ..........foot on the front wheel behind the fork legs and gracefully stepping over the barz and sticking the landing ?.......I'm hip to that

^ The Trail Starts Here ^

Good job!

..........foot on the front wheel behind the fork legs and gracefully stepping over the barz and sticking the landing ?.......I'm hip to that
    [SIZE="3"]You might have created a new class of biking

Freestyle, Streetstyle, Pug-o-cross!

I never tried a Miami Hopper on my MTB!
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

Mr.Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by Proformance Cycle
    [SIZE="3"]You might have created a new class of biking

Freestyle, Streetstyle, Pug-o-cross!

I never tried a Miami Hopper on my MTB!
    [/SIZE]
    Well, how about it Carlos, think it would fit in ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast