No, that's not phonetic

Smile A sunny Saturday ride on Kodiak Island

It was a beautiful fall day here on Kodiak. Both Barny and I did some work until the afternoon, but then it was time to go for a spin. We talked about our choices and Barny lobbied for something long and tough. To link some various trails together, we had to ride down the back side of our local mountain on the rockiest, nastiest, wettest, slippery-est, steepest, gnarliest descent we have. Barny said, "well, I had better ride my 6-Pack." The whole ride was going to be a good 4-hour affair with 2,500' of climbing, but she still was reaching for the FR-lite rig. The Pack was just the tool for the job too: she cleaned the whole descent without walking a single section- a first! She said, "Barny rocks." Upon a moment's consideration, she added, "the 6-Pack rocks."

After riding for so long in Utah, one of the hardest adjustments is being back on slimy, mossy rock coated in decomposing alder leaves. I've wiped twice now expecting traction where there was none.

After dropping from 1,200' nearly back to sea level, we rode through an area where we got chased by a brown bear a while back. There are signs up now.

We actually ran into a bear on our bikes yesterday afternoon, but he was nowhere near a sign. Guess he missed the memo.

After some cruising through the flats, it was uphill again. Steep, loose, broken rock. I had to push a good 20% of the climb, and I hate getting off my bike. Once we got up out of the alders, the gradient lessened, and we had some beautiful views as we made our way to the top.

The light was fading as we rode down the back side of the mountain and began the long spin home, half on trails, half on the road. A lovely afternoon.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

I'm from Utah
    Wow. That trail looks amazing. If I ever make it to Kodiak ...

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Nice photos, looks like you had a great ride.

As much as I sometimes think the Packs are overkill for Alaska, I catch myself riding mine more and more. I see Barny's sporting some flames now too!

Keep taking advantage of those days, I wish I could right now, it looks like perfect conditions.

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    May 2007

Memories!

You've got me so jealous! Look at those trails!

So many memories. I had only been riding a year when I hit Kodiak in 1990 (on a 1989 Trek singletrack with Deore thumbshifters, cutting-edge Onza bar-ends, a rigid fork and Farmer John tires. We'd ride he roadt from the USCG Airsta to Pilar and back (I can remember exactly where you are in most of your shots). Is there still a bunch of singletrack near the foot?

I can remember a race in 1992 where Tinker Juarez got off a plane, assembled his bike, rushed to the starting line and then rode up Pilar in the big ring beating the best recorded time up the mountian by minutes.

I spent three years there and looking back, it was like a dream then. There were probably 50 riders on the entire island then and we only met any other riders once. We ranged all over that place. I'd so love to take a disc-equipped full suspension down the front of Old Woman, because it was mostly unrideable on a fully rigid. As wonderful and accessible as the trails are here in Northern VT, returning to Kodiak is still my dream. Are there more dedicated MTB trails than there were?

Damn. You've got me very, very jealous now. Have a Halibut Burger at Road's End for me!

Arkonbey.

Mr.Secret
    Nice pics, but aren't those the same ones you've been using over and over ??? Whoops, just noticed why the pics looked familiar, this thread was posted last year, still great shots though !!
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...