Thread: Summer vacation

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Summer vacation

Greetings Alaskans...My wife and I are going to be in the Kenai area next week and would welcome any info on trails in the area. My wife is from Fairbanks and we planned on doing some cross country riding. I must admit that from the things I have read I'm sort of nervous of the bear activity. We are avid mountain bikers and would hate to miss out on such an amazing trip. Crescent lake...???

THANKS!!!!

BRAAAPPPP....

Bikes are good

Lost lake

I would point you to lost lake trail near Seward. There is a very nice loop that you can hook up on and don't need a shuttle. Best trail down there I think. I haven't seen a bear on that one, or much bear scat either. Make noise, bring a can of bear spray.

Crescent is ok, just pretty short.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    THANKS...I"ll check that one out right now!...I can use all the advice I can get!

Bikes are good
    If it is just the two of you and shuttles aren't available, best riding down there would be
    1) Lost lake- Park at the Lost lake trailhead nearest Seward and ride the road back out and up to the Iditarod trailhead you passed on the way in. It is on the left as you ride out and about 8 miles (I think) up the road. Follow that trail through to the other end of lost lake trail, and take a left onto the lost lake trail from there. This will take you back to your car on the other side. Not sure on total mileage. Maybe close to 30.

2) Resurrection pass from Cooper landing up to Devils Pass. Explore around up there and get to the top of Resurrection pass and head back. 40 miles

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    awesome...thank you for your time. Where can I find a trail map or directions??...Singletrack.com has the lost lake trail but doesn't show a map of the area etc. Can i buy trail maps in Anchorage or somewhere down there???

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Bear in mind that Elfbiker thrives on long grueling rides. I rode lost lake saturday from seward side to primrose and hitchhiked back to the car. I didn't have 17 more miles, even road miles, left in my legs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Is Lost Lake snow free??

Bikes are good
    Quote Originally Posted by Akfatty View Post
    Is Lost Lake snow free??
    A little bird told me that.

BTW, I'm a big person. Little people can do this ride easy. Jed stop scaring people.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm a big guy too buddy. And FWIW lost lake isn't entirely snow free. There's ~6 spots with a bit of snow but all in all the trail is great. I'll be riding it again soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I was just in Alaska. I rode lost lake. I rented a bike from the Ship Wreck (there is a bike shop next to the Smoke Shack) which is a good place to rent if needed. My impression of the ride was that it was tough!; The uphill was a *****!. There were a lot of loose rocks (similar to gravel, only bigger rocks) that I had a hard time climbing. The downhill was fun but also technical; ride with caution. There are a lot roots in the ground etc.

I rode my rental about 4 miles out of town to get to the trailhead. From there it is about 7 miles to the top and it is mostly uphill. There is probably a different route I could have taken. I should have posted a thread here and see if I could hook up with a rider there.

I attached a bear bell and yelled at every corner since I was riding solo - didn't come across any.

I would suggest you bring knee/shin guards since it is very rocky.

Apart from what I mentioned, I loved the landscape! Very scenic, like an Ansel Adams Portrait. Those snowcapped mountains overlook everywhere!

Have fun!