mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Summer backpacking trip off-highway routes

Hey all,

Im in the works of planning a long distance bikepacking trip starting in Deadhorse next summer and I was wondering if there are any good off-highway options as I make my way through Alaska and into the Yukon?

Looking at USGS maps there are quite a few interesting "sled roads", "winter roads" and "winter trails" but are these even remotely rideable during the summer months?

Any route suggestions and info would be great!

mtbr member
    Most of the trails listed as winter trails are just that. They are often very wet, and involve crossing a lot of ponds and rivers. You'll be slogging through a lot of mosquito infested muskeg.

There is a service road that goes along the majority of the Trans Alaska Pipeline north of Fairbanks. You can ride sections of it, its good gravel, and I've never been hassled by pipeline security.

The Dalton Hiway its self is about 1/3 paved. The only services are the truck stop at Coldfoot and the Yukon Bridge. No cell between Deadhorse and Fairbanks. I haven't come across anyone who wishes it was more remote by the time they got to Fairbanks.

From Fairbanks south there isn't a lot of option. You can turn left in Tok and ride the Taylor/Top of the World Hiway to Dawson YT, or continue the Alcan towards Whitehorse.

This country is pretty wet, sloppy, and hard going in the summer time. Summer cross- country can be done, just depends how much of a suffer fest you want.
    “Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene’.” -H.J. Simson

Elitest thrill junkie
    There are three kinds of terrain in Alaska. Swamp. Mountains. Open water. If it's not mountain, it's either swamp or open water.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    There are lots of mining trails in the area around Chicken that are follow the ridges and don't have much swamp at all. Just don't go during hunting season.

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaStinson View Post
    Most of the trails listed as winter trails are just that. They are often very wet, and involve crossing a lot of ponds and rivers. You'll be slogging through a lot of mosquito infested muskeg.

There is a service road that goes along the majority of the Trans Alaska Pipeline north of Fairbanks. You can ride sections of it, its good gravel, and I've never been hassled by pipeline security.

The Dalton Hiway its self is about 1/3 paved. The only services are the truck stop at Coldfoot and the Yukon Bridge. No cell between Deadhorse and Fairbanks. I haven't come across anyone who wishes it was more remote by the time they got to Fairbanks.

From Fairbanks south there isn't a lot of option. You can turn left in Tok and ride the Taylor/Top of the World Hiway to Dawson YT, or continue the Alcan towards Whitehorse.

This country is pretty wet, sloppy, and hard going in the summer time. Summer cross- country can be done, just depends how much of a suffer fest you want.
    OP this is the best info so far. Take haul road then make your way to the top of the world road on your way to the Yukon.
    ptarmigan hardcore