Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    FatBike Fiend
    Reputation: Wildfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    865

    Su100 Recon Mission

    Four of us rode 17 miles out the ice road from Pt. Mac parking lot on Sunday and made it to the Big Su. It was pretty warm, even had some light rain. Tried to take the side trail to Flathorn but it was barely ridable even with the mondo wheels. Enstar has the ice road packed and iced down so that's a fast cruise and continues on across the Big Su, don't know how far.

    The surprising thing was how little snow there was at the Big Su, only a foot on the ground and that had been windblown with a lot of places scoured down to bare gravel bar. I'm thinking if the temps stay warm for a few more days and then get cold again, the trails should be pretty good for the race. Here's couple pics from the Big Su River.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wildfire
    FatBikes since 1999.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    69

    Big Su/Yentna riding conditions???

    What did the Big Su trail look like? Any rumors of bikability from Deshka Landing, down Big Su, up Yentna towards Luce's and Skwentna? I heard Su100 trail crew failed to get the trail in from Eaglesong to Luce's over the weekend.

    Anybody know? Anybody want to ride from Deshka Landing this weekend?

  3. #3
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    6,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire
    Four of us rode 17 miles out the ice road from Pt. Mac parking lot on Sunday and made it to the Big Su. It was pretty warm, even had some light rain. Tried to take the side trail to Flathorn but it was barely ridable even with the mondo wheels. Enstar has the ice road packed and iced down so that's a fast cruise and continues on across the Big Su, don't know how far.

    The surprising thing was how little snow there was at the Big Su, only a foot on the ground and that had been windblown with a lot of places scoured down to bare gravel bar. I'm thinking if the temps stay warm for a few more days and then get cold again, the trails should be pretty good for the race. Here's couple pics from the Big Su River.
    Errr--Kathi doesn't appear to be on a Fatbike. ?? Whassupwiddat?

    If one were to ride the ice road out to the Big Su, is it easy (from there) to get on a snomachine track to get up to the Yentna?

    Seems like it would be... ...just curious though.

    Thanks Mark.

    MC

  4. #4
    FatBike Fiend
    Reputation: Wildfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    865
    Kathi had traded rides with Julia to experience that old school snowcatty feelin'. Didn't last long though.

    I didn't see a main trail up the Big Su from the ice road. I think your best bet is take the seismic trail heading NW off the ice road about 3 miles past the Little Su River which takes you to the S end of Flathorn Lake, then cross the lake and take the regular SU100 route from the N end of the lake up through the Dismal Swamp to the Big Su. Most of the locals who live up the Yentna River access the area from Deshka Landing near Willow so that has the best trail and it's often signed and groomed by the Lower Susitna Rec. Assoc. It's about 18 miles from Deshka Landing to the Yentna River at Scary Tree via Kroto Slough. The turn off onto Kroto is about 5 miles downstream from Deshka Landing about a half mile below the mouth of the Deshka River. I have a friend who lives at MP 18 on the Yentna and the latest I heard is that it's warm up there too but that's good because the trails were so sugary and it will make that go away once it refreezes. I would be interested in going along this weekend but will have to play it by ear weatherwise, it needs to get cold again. I'll call my friend and get the latest report today and post it.
    Wildfire
    FatBikes since 1999.

  5. #5
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    6,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire
    Kathi had traded rides with Julia to experience that old school snowcatty feelin'. Didn't last long though.

    I didn't see a main trail up the Big Su from the ice road. I think your best bet is take the seismic trail heading NW off the ice road about 3 miles past the Little Su River which takes you to the S end of Flathorn Lake, then cross the lake and take the regular SU100 route from the N end of the lake up through the Dismal Swamp to the Big Su.
    Gotcha on all. I know that route (it's really the only one I know) and will plan to use it if it's in in the next month.

    Cold and snowing (again) here. Good for training, not so good for morale. It wouldn't hurt to have a bit of warmth and dry dirt about now, would it?

    Cheers,

    MC

  6. #6
    FatBike Fiend
    Reputation: Wildfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    865

    Warmth and dry dirt?

    We don't even get that in the summer time That route out the ice road to Flathorn is by far the fastest and easiest way to get to the mouth of the Yentna from Knik, Pt Mac or Big Lake but it's way easier and shorter to get there from Deshka Landing.. Got some riding plans around here, do ya?
    Wildfire
    FatBikes since 1999.

  7. #7
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    6,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire
    We don't even get that in the summer time
    You should ask for a refund. Oh wait, you already get a dividend...


    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire
    That route out the ice road to Flathorn is by far the fastest and easiest way to get to the mouth of the Yentna from Knik, Pt Mac or Big Lake but it's way easier and shorter to get there from Deshka Landing.. Got some riding plans around here, do ya?
    Always seemed like the most direct (time-wise) route to me.

    Just a little winter tour up the trail. Should be good exercise if nothin' else.

    Mebbe see you while I'm in town...

    MC

  8. #8
    FatBike Fiend
    Reputation: Wildfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    865

    See you on the trail

    I am planning a tour out the Iditarod myself around Ultra Sport time. Not sure how far I'll go but it's a good time to be out on the trail.
    What is this Dividend of which you speak? Am I missing out on something?
    Wildfire
    FatBikes since 1999.

  9. #9
    Beware of Doggerel
    Reputation: Adam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    665

    Ice Road

    MC,

    I'm with Wildfire. I've missed the turn to flat horn, and then ridden the ice road all the way up to the big SU then ridden the big SU up to the Yetena. There isn't much traffic down that way, so it is hit and miss. I also seem to recall a fair amount of islands and gravel bars on the route, it could be confusing, and easy to head up some unnammed slough. Fastest, and simplest route is the route from Pt. Mac. to Flathorn then on up. If the weather stays like it is or cools a bit the biking should be fantastic. This last week has turned things from Ski-tastic to Bike-O-riffic...

    Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

  10. #10
    FatBike Fiend
    Reputation: Wildfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    865

    Bike-eriffic?

    Man what a nice day, went on a short ride with BillM out on the Moose Meadows. 41F and sunny, wow. The trails are setting up great. Talked to my friend today who lives up the Yentna and he said the trails are the best they've been all year, hardpacked and fast. He had a low of 12 and a high of 23 so things are cooling down up there with about 2 1/2 to 3 feet of snow on the ground. Am leaning seriously toward heading out from Deshka landing on Saturday. My buddy has plenty of floor space if anybody wants to go and stay out on Saturday.He's at MP 18 on the Yentna just before Rebel's Roost so it's a 36 mile ride each way. BillM said he's up for it. Here's a couple pics from today's ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wildfire; 01-31-2007 at 08:31 PM.
    Wildfire
    FatBikes since 1999.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    69
    Sorry I missed you guys. I left Deshka Landing 9am Sat, returned 4pm Sunday after overnighting at Skwentna Roadhouse. Best conditions all season... I posted a trail update on a new thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •