Thread: Stolen Bike

Anchorage, AK

Stolen Bike

Cross-posted from Fat Bike Forum:

Someone stole my daughter's red fat back from her school in Anchorage where it was locked up. I am totally bummed. Maybe someone here will spot it. It had green decorative rim tape with a dyno hub in front, Dillinger studded tires, and a rear rack.

Note, we replaced the red fork with a gray custom one. Apparently another fat bike was stolen at the same time.

Stolen Bike-stolen-bike.jpg
    Last edited by Lars_D; 03-10-2014 at 06:20 PM.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Sorry to hear. Bike thieves are total scum. Hope you get it back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'll keep an eye out. That sucks big time, I hope the thieves are caught.

mtbr member
    One of the others stolen was a green 907, size small i believe. Belonging to Al Mitchel's daughter. Keep your eyes out!
    litespeed's break

Anchorage, AK
    It's been painted green, but it is for sure the bike--it has the same decorative rim strips, gray fork, saddlebags, etc (they were all added after the picture above). I found it on craigslist and have tried to contact the seller, but they did not return my email and their ad did not have a phone number.

fat bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stolen Bike-painted.jpg  

--Peace

mtbr member
    Ugh.
    Best of luck getting it back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I just was going to send you a pm with the ad.

Anchorage, AK
    We got it back! There is a story to tell, but not today--I need for my adrenaline level to return to normal. I will say this: it took two days and involved me being threatened by a baseball-bat wielding 20-something-year-old woman. Thanks to all for the well-wishes and help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stolen Bike-img00531.jpg  

--Peace

Bikes are good
    Oh man that's so great Lars. I am curious about your process to find the thing. You could have recruited a posse to go pick it up. Old School style. I can handle bats. It's the guns I'm afraid of. Nice work. Glad your little dude gets her bike back.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    great!! we want to hear the story.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Yeah....great news! Yes....I want to hear the story too. I actually emailed the posting and never heard back. Hopefully the other stolen bikes are able to be returned too. Can you paint the bike back to the pretty red it was before?

mtbr member
    Nooice! Glad to hear it all worked out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Commence warm fuzzy feelings
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Awesome. Looking forward to your story.

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by kat71 View Post
    great!! we want to hear the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKPeach View Post
    Yeah....great news! Yes....I want to hear the story too. I actually emailed the posting and never heard back. Hopefully the other stolen bikes are able to be returned too. Can you paint the bike back to the pretty red it was before?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    Oh man that's so great Lars. I am curious about your process to find the thing. You could have recruited a posse to go pick it up. Old School style. I can handle bats. It's the guns I'm afraid of. Nice work. Glad your little dude gets her bike back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion_ View Post
    Awesome. Looking forward to your story.
    Thanks for the positive notes, the details of the recovery are posted here:

Stolen Small Red Fat Back

I'll be powder-coating it red as soon as I can get it to the powder-coater.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Interesting how they let you guys go. Did you report any more to the cops that yiu recovered it and give them the address and such to them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Bikes are good
    Wow. That's good stuff. Sounds like they sell all sorts of stuff there, not just stolen bikes. Crazy. Nice job keeping cool about it. That must've been tough.

Who's a good powder coater for bikes in town. I have a frame (I bought it), and it's raw. What's the charge?
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

Anchorage, AK
    The other bike that was stolen at the same time as Olivia's has been recovered. According to the owner's dad:

"I picked up [my daughter's] bike at "The Bicycle Shop" today after a call from the Trek Store (where we got [my daughter's] bike). They were pretty sure that "The Bicycle Shop" had [my daughter's] bike. When I got there to check on it the owner was there and was super nice. They had two fat tired bikes that came in together without serial numbers dropped off from someone who suspected they were stolen. The someone was cleaning out an apartment they owned that had recently been vacated, and the bikes were in the apartment. They helped me gather...parts off of the two bikes and I came home with them. I've called the police to let them know we have it back....Mostly we have ours back, though we to are in need of a visit to the powder coater."

As a regular customer of "The Bicycle Shop," I can second the dad's comment that Mike, the owner, is super nice, as is everyone who works there. I give them my business whenever I can.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Good news....I wonder where the thieves moved to. You know they won't stop stealing bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Any idea if the apartment that was "recently vacated" was the same one you got the other bike back from? Maybe they realized the "gig was up" when you got yours back and decided it was best to relocate?

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Any idea if the apartment that was "recently vacated" was the same one you got the other bike back from? Maybe they realized the "gig was up" when you got yours back and decided it was best to relocate?
    I haven't contacted the landlord but I am pretty sure it is the same place. The residents of the place where I recovered my daughter's bike had a truck/trailer loaded with household goods parked in front.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thieves are scum. Bike thieves are worse. One of my bikes was ripped off a couple of years ago, but was also recovered. I'm very glad that things are working out for everyone and I'm proud that all of us at The Bicycle Shop were able help out in whatever way we could.

P.S. How's that new saddle working out for you, Lars?

mtbr member
    Anchorage Powder Coating has done a bunch of good work for us here at the resort (Alyeska).
    "Speed focuses the mind. It cuts through the fog of drab everyday living and keeps us on our toes."

Anchorage, AK
    So, daughter's recovered bike is back from the powder coater and I re-assembled it today. There are some before and after pictures here...

Stolen Small Red Fat Back
    --Peace