mtbr member

Specialized enduro 26 or 29?

I'm 19 so young want to get into jumping and taking it to Alyeska and hilltop asked in the all mountain forum but figured who knows what's best for such things than the locals also I'm gonna need a riding partners for this summer! !!!! I am already really excited about this season to come.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Specialized enduro 26 or 29?

Might want to also consider 27.5. Kona process 154, or the new SC nomad in 27.5 look like they would be good candidates. You'll want something with a slack head angle for riding Alyeska. I ride my 26" nomad at Aly sometimes and it works pretty good. But it's not near as fun as a dedicated DH rig like my Kona operator. You might try renting one of the DH bikes to get a feel for things. If it were me I'd get a used 4" travel trail bike for Kincaid, hillside stuff and a new(ish) DH bike for Alyeska depending on how often you plan to ride there. It really comes down to where you plan on spending more of your time. If hitting features and drops is something you think you'll want to push for I'd lean away from the 29" wheels. In my opinion they don't pop or pump transition as well and durability will come into play when landings get hit hard. We plan on opening the resort to biking on June 27th and if you've never been and would like a tour drop me a note and I'd be happy to get you settled. We rent Kona operators with pads for $100.00 per day if you want to try a low slack DH bike. It's a pretty friendly scene. It's not too tough to meet people to ride with in the lift line or on the chair.
    "Speed focuses the mind. It cuts through the fog of drab everyday living and keeps us on our toes."

mtbr member
    Yeah I went a couple years ago and really liked it just want a bike that I can use for everything because I really only have a budget for one bike this year and the enduro is top list second is the trek slash 650b. I might get that not sure haha hard decisions.

Bikes are good
    That's exciting times for sure man. I think a trailbike 650b bike would be good. I haven't shopped for those types of bikes so not sure what brand to send you to, or even the head angle. Slacker is better. 63 degrees is pretty slack I think. It would be a fast bike on xcountry trails, get you to some really cool places to hike a bike, and somewhat survive Alyeska. Like bigsky said though, Alyeska will be more fun on a dh rig. I am finally buying a dh bike, but used my 26'' trail bike at Alyeska the last couple seasons they've been running. It handles it okay, but just beats the crap out of it, and me.

Just looked up Trek Slash. Looks perfect actually. PM me, I'll show you some cool stuff around here.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Yeah the only problem is I can't sit on the slash because they don't carry them at the trek shop so I'd be buying blind and 3800 seems like a lot to buy blind need to read more reviews on the slash.

mtbr member

Re: Specialized enduro 26 or 29?

Quote Originally Posted by ak609 View Post
    Yeah the only problem is I can't sit on the slash because they don't carry them at the trek shop so I'd be buying blind and 3800 seems like a lot to buy blind need to read more reviews on the slash.

Looks like a dh they made into a am bike which would be awesome just gonna look up the weight.

mtbr member
    Might also consider using some offset bushings to slacken things a bit. These are made in England but the website does a good job of showing what the offset bushings do.

Want slacker and lower? Well here are some bargain priced custom made offset bushings | Dirt
    "Speed focuses the mind. It cuts through the fog of drab everyday living and keeps us on our toes."

Elitest thrill junkie
    I have the 29, it's tons of fun. If all you want to do is go to Alyeska and ride downhill, get something a bit heavier built with smaller wheels. If you want a bike that will be lots of fun on bigger rides, like on the penensula, and that will still be lots of fun at the ski resort, the 29er Enduro can be the ticket. It can jump just fine and is the funnest 29er I've been on. It doesn't feel like a 29er much of the time, and it of course climbs better IMO than a 26er. Still, it's not a super-light bike if you get the comp model and there's the suspension squat while climbing. I am not thinking of replacing mine, just riding it soon.Specialized enduro 26 or 29?-gedc0155s.jpgSpecialized enduro 26 or 29?-45505_10151875998025490_2078448979_n.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Yeah test rode the trek remedy today the 27.5 to see what they felt like and I'm not sure if I like the bigger wheels I like the 26 haha I'm sure it'll just take getting used to

Elitest thrill junkie
    Where did you test ride it?

BTW, one thing I like about my E29 is that it doesn't feel like I'm fighting the bike to survive chutes and steeps at the ski resort. I've had that feeling before on other bikes and it's not fun to "just survive" a day DHing. You want to ENJOY it, which I do on the E29.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Ended up buying the status can't wait to ride just picked it up. Give it a week or two and start doing some stuff down town stair cases and what not.