Thread: Sog Bot 07 !

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job! Sog Bot 07 !

The 5th Anniversary of the Sog Bot will be September 1st, same route, same distance, same start and finish. A riders meeting will be held August 30th at 6 PM at Chain Reaction Cycles. Stay tuned for more news as winter eases away and spring marches through ......... Would you believe a 2 day dirt stage event with a Saturday night BBQ done in the legendary Frigid Bits tradition ? or perhaps another 50 - 100 miler adventure ride north of Anchorage or " The Alaska Flier " a ride at your own pace " wink wink " that would allow road and mt. bikes ? Wow so many fun possibilities ........
    With the exception of the ride north of Anchorage, the rides are very doable because if I can complete the routes so should the above average rider with above average conditioning ! The ride north of Anchorage, I have not ridden because route is not defined !

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Why so late this year? Spicing things up with the middle of the rainy season?

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sog Bot

The date was changed to reduce the potential conflicts, with hunters, hikers, and other users along the route ---- also that time of year the weeds should not be a problem....... as far as rain .. well, rain or the lack of rain is just another wild card that the experienced endurance rider will know how to deal with and the novice endurance rider will have endure or risk the severe consequences of coming face to face with their own reality .
    Last edited by rio; 02-12-2007 at 02:09 PM.

Caveman
    The first sog bottom was at the same time.
    It was dark, very wet, overgrown and scary.

That's why its the soggy bottom...

Beware of Doggerel
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    The first sog bottom was at the same time.
    It was dark, very wet, overgrown and scary.

That's why its the soggy bottom...
    The first Soggy Bottom Scared me. I think it left tread marks on my soul.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Fatback
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam

Adam
    I'm not sure about my soul, but my crotch has never been the same. That first year was one hell of an epic race that I'm proud to have taken part in. As far as scheduling goes, keep in mind all of the things going on during the summer that you try to avoid conflict with best you can. I know that Soggy riders are different but some still cross over. In June, you have Kincaid, Hillside, and the 24 hour and not too much mileage yet. In July you have the Fireweed and the Kincaid/Hillside races. In August there is the Fat Tire Fest, the Kincaid/ Hillside, plus the Tour of Anch. and the mtb State Championships and the Up and Over Powerline Pass. Not to mention all the other road races lots of mtb'ers are doing. There are a few logical places that races can be shoehorned in but it takes some effort. I would like to see many more mtb events on the weekends-sanctioned or not.

Caveman
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam

Adam
    If the soggy left tread marks on your soul Adam, What did the following summer's Sweet Roll do?

I can barely talk about it, even with loved ones.
    I'm scared of the dark now...

Beware of Doggerel
    [QUOTE=Bearbait]If the soggy left tread marks on your soul Adam, What did the following summer's Sweet Roll do?"

Ummm Skid marks on my shorts....

Yeah, I just sort of pretend that most of it never happened. The last 30 miles were great for me though.

I'm also afraid of the dark, and bears and bears in the dark, and being eaten...by bears in the dark... just really afraid of everything now. But another uber-epic like that would be cool (to talk about of course, not to actually ride), Rio could call it Sweet Revenge...

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Wood chips are stupid

out of my league

During the first ever SB100,I took a nap on a rock. The second year I tried to stay with the racers who train. Not good. I hung for an hour. This year should be just as special.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

akdelux, Adam, and Bearbait

The Fabulous Soggy, and The Over the top Sweet Roll, well, I am glad they left skid marks on your souls ....... If they didn't , I failed at my intent in designing events that would challenge the body and stretch the limits of the mind and to cause a Sog Bot or Sweet Roll rider to challenge themselves in other mt. bike venues and perhaps the other challenges that life may present to us .......

History:
    Bearbait, Adam, akdelux, and thirstywork are riders who completed the scary and what one semi-pro rider said "that was the hardest bike ride I have ever done " inaugural Soggy Bottom !

Adam and Bearbait also completed the soul warping Sweet Roll 200 !

The Sweet Roll 200; is for practical purposes, a double Soggy Bottom, 218 miles !!!!!! that included a round trip to Johnson Pass and back down Devils Pass (twice ).

Some other folks moved on to accomplish other harsher and colder mt. bike challenges ( joie de vivre ! ) than the Soggy bottom 100 and Sweet Roll 200 presented; others went home after these events and weeped for discovering their frailty and shattered egos .....
    I must say; I have the highest respect all those who spend some of their summers to train for theses events year after year and wonder if the coveted Leo Nardo award will be bestowed upon then ....... huh akdelux ?
    Last edited by rio; 02-12-2007 at 11:20 PM.

Grillin' & Chillin'

Long Lost Brother of Ozzy Ozbourne

Now I know where I've seen akdeluxe before. He's the long lost brother of Ozzy Ozbourne.
    Last edited by speedsk8_ak; 03-10-2007 at 12:39 AM.

Wood chips are stupid

Never say die...never!

I never noticed it. My avitar does look like one of those cats on the Sabbath album cover. Cool!

akdeluxe

JT

Caveman
    That is so freakin sweet!

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Rain or is Ice?

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    . as far as rain .. well, rain or the lack of rain is just another wild card that the experienced endurance rider will know how to deal with
    I seem to recall doing Devil's Pass and getting snow/sleeted on two years ago the first weekend in September and Tern Lake having ice on it.. at least there will be none of those crazy fisherman on the road.

Another note is it is on the same weekend as the Anchorage to Seward Road Relay that wanted to try the Soggy this year but will not because of the conflict.

I admit it is great riding it though this late in the year if conditions hold up. Guess everyone will have to use their lights more too..

Christopher

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Seward Relay

Well, the Soggy Bottom is not for the meek and when I put this event together I wanted the longest mt. bike dirt event on dirt in Alaska that would require superior physical skills and mental toughness along with way above average bike handling skills to compete the course in 12 hours or less regardless of the conditions. The Soggy has a dedicated base of riders that will show up regardless of the date, Those that want to ride it will choose to do so, others will just talk about it. Last years weather is just that, last year, .. September isn't even here yet, it will be what ever it will be and the Sog Bot riders will show up to challenge the weather conditions or whatever is given to them for that particular day ....Laissez les bon temps roulez !

Quote Originally Posted by crsouser
    I seem to recall doing Devil's Pass and getting snow/sleeted on two years ago the first weekend in September and Tern Lake having ice on it.. at least there will be none of those crazy fisherman on the road.

Another note is it is on the same weekend as the Anchorage to Seward Road Relay that wanted to try the Soggy this year but will not because of the conflict.

I admit it is great riding it though this late in the year if conditions hold up. Guess everyone will have to use their lights more too..

Christopher

I'm from Utah
    So Devil's Pass in July was a little too easy, eh?

How about following the climbers' route straight up Mt. McKinley. How steep could it be?

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

I wasn't complaining..

Well, the Soggy Bottom is not for the meek and when I put this event together I wanted the longest mt. bike dirt event on dirt in Alaska that would require superior physical skills and mental toughness along with way above average bike handling skills to compete the course in 12 hours or less regardless of the conditions.
    Wasn't complaining..just commenting.. more so on scheduling on proximity to other events than probably the weather.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No worries

The Sog Bot is also supposed to put skid marks on your calendar and soul !!!!--- I always appreciate the support of ABC !

Quote Originally Posted by crsouser
    Wasn't complaining..just commenting.. more so on scheduling on proximity to other events than probably the weather.

Bikes are good

Sog Story

I'm not a racer. I like to ride. Mostly, I like rides that I can't wait are over because I've been going so long and I'm wasted tired. So when I read about the Soggy Bottom 3 years ago it seemed great. I even thought I'd be fine without training for it since I ride so often anyway. Well this message is for people considering it. I wish I had this advice for my first Soggy. I only drank water, no food, no gels, no fancy drink mix. By the time I was climbing back up to the pass from Cooper landing my legs were cramping in such new and fascinating ways that I didn't think I'd ever get out of there. I collapsed in front of the cabin at the top and wished to God that I had sat there and drank beer with my two buddies that were there, and doing that all day. I peeled myself off the ground and rode down Devil's. A run that is usually a blast, but this day was misery. You don't realize how much you need to pay attention on that damn thing. At the bottom a pit crew of sorts were waiting. I had my water filled up, chugged a gatorade, puked, chugged some more, and drank a coke. (Carlos, what the hell were cokes doing there?) During this 9 minute episode I had running in my head "there's no way you can make it, just stop, you've gone far enough, quit, who the hell are you trying to impress." and before I knew it, I was riding back down the trail on the way to the top of Devils again. That first hill was sweet. As soon as the climbing started, my neat new cramps started. Hip flexors, hamstrings, quads (all four regions of the quad) and even my forearms went. I'd stop, roll in grass for a while and then slowly and gingerly get back on my bike and go another 10 minutes until the next break down. It was dusk by the time I reached the top and I flipped my light on. It was beautiful up there. The sky was pitch black after a 70 degree day and the northern lights were popping overhead. I remember thinking "If a bear tackled me off of my bike, and chewed on me a bit I would be able to lay down and rest until the day came and someone would come rescue me." Finally, after the light I had went out, and at 2 in the morning I rolled into Hope. It's funny. You ride for so long, and on the coolest trails and I only remember about 5 specific things from the day. Starting the race and watching everybody fly past me, hitting my front brake too hard on the way into cooper and landing on my face, resting at cooper for almost an hour, cramping, and rolling into Hope and signing myself in, by myself, with not a soul around. And for some damn reason, I did it again the next year. So, if you've kept reading and you want to know how not to go through that nightmare do this. 1) have a computer on your bike. watch time. Every 15 minutes chug accelerade/cytomax from your camelbak. 2) Every 45 minutes pull a gu, or other gel that is loaded with potassium and magnesium (I had clif gels and they did okay) out of your pocket so you don't have to stop and chase it with water from your water bottle on the bike 3) Checkpoints loaded with your refills. Maybe that's all common sense, but it wasn't my common sense.

I finished the 2nd soggy in 12 hours at 7th place. I even had a kick doing it.

Wood chips are stupid

yea,me too

I had a ride a lot like yours. My entire lower body was cramping People at Devils were tryng to convince me to quit. I fell down. My light ran out, just like yours. I didn't puke, but I did almost murder my shorts half way up from Devils. But, I had water, I had Accelerade, gu's and food. So why did I finish almost nine hours after you? I don't get it. See you there this year.

akdeluxe

JT

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

Frog!

Laissez les bon temps roulez !
    I didn't know you spoke French. I mean Tim told me you kissed that way, but I didn't know you could speak it.

Léchez ma entrejambe!
    [SIZE="1"]Put that in your translator and smoke it![/SIZE]

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cokes ?

Well, akdelux requested that he wouldn't mind having some coke with the rum he was packing in his Camelback, so I had some available for him

Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50
    I'm not a racer. I like to ride. Mostly, I like rides that I can't wait are over because I've been going so long and I'm wasted tired. So when I read about the Soggy Bottom 3 years ago it seemed great. I even thought I'd be fine without training for it since I ride so often anyway. Well this message is for people considering it. I wish I had this advice for my first Soggy. I only drank water, no food, no gels, no fancy drink mix. By the time I was climbing back up to the pass from Cooper landing my legs were cramping in such new and fascinating ways that I didn't think I'd ever get out of there. I collapsed in front of the cabin at the top and wished to God that I had sat there and drank beer with my two buddies that were there, and doing that all day. I peeled myself off the ground and rode down Devil's. A run that is usually a blast, but this day was misery. You don't realize how much you need to pay attention on that damn thing. At the bottom a pit crew of sorts were waiting. I had my water filled up, chugged a gatorade, puked, chugged some more, and drank a coke. (Carlos, what the hell were cokes doing there?) During this 9 minute episode I had running in my head "there's no way you can make it, just stop, you've gone far enough, quit, who the hell are you trying to impress." and before I knew it, I was riding back down the trail on the way to the top of Devils again. That first hill was sweet. As soon as the climbing started, my neat new cramps started. Hip flexors, hamstrings, quads (all four regions of the quad) and even my forearms went. I'd stop, roll in grass for a while and then slowly and gingerly get back on my bike and go another 10 minutes until the next break down. It was dusk by the time I reached the top and I flipped my light on. It was beautiful up there. The sky was pitch black after a 70 degree day and the northern lights were popping overhead. I remember thinking "If a bear tackled me off of my bike, and chewed on me a bit I would be able to lay down and rest until the day came and someone would come rescue me." Finally, after the light I had went out, and at 2 in the morning I rolled into Hope. It's funny. You ride for so long, and on the coolest trails and I only remember about 5 specific things from the day. Starting the race and watching everybody fly past me, hitting my front brake too hard on the way into cooper and landing on my face, resting at cooper for almost an hour, cramping, and rolling into Hope and signing myself in, by myself, with not a soul around. And for some damn reason, I did it again the next year. So, if you've kept reading and you want to know how not to go through that nightmare do this. 1) have a computer on your bike. watch time. Every 15 minutes chug accelerade/cytomax from your camelbak. 2) Every 45 minutes pull a gu, or other gel that is loaded with potassium and magnesium (I had clif gels and they did okay) out of your pocket so you don't have to stop and chase it with water from your water bottle on the bike 3) Checkpoints loaded with your refills. Maybe that's all common sense, but it wasn't my common sense.

I finished the 2nd soggy in 12 hours at 7th place. I even had a kick doing it.

Caveman
    Yep, eating food is a generally accecpted as a good idea during endurance races.

Part of your training should include trying to eat whenever possible, the crest of a small hill, a non technical section, or whenever your heart rate allows is. Then thinking when you'll need that energy, like eating before bombing down Devils pass so you have some juice to make it back up. Same goes for dropping down to cooper landing. Checkpoints are great for re-fueling but its so easy to waste time and get your stomach all sick and bloated by eating too much to fast. Fig newtons work wonders...

Too much Gu, cyto, accecelercrap can thrash your stomach pretty fast.

mtbr member

DNF punishment

yep - the only Rio produced Races , since the first 24 hour of Anchorage race in 98?, that I have entered and finished were on Goose lake....

I will complete the next Soggy! And if I DNF again. - finishers of this esteemed race series may give me a new user name and avatar of the most popular votes! I will use the aforementioned name of shame until the next Rio endurance race in '08.

I don't want to start the firestorm that mikesee started over on the endurance forum - but I absolutely would like to see Rio go to a self-supported format.
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers