viva la v-brakes!

snowcats vs large marge

I'm hoping to head up to AK next year to compete in the Susitna 100. I recently purchased some snowcat rims because I feel they are the best choice for winter riding conditions around here (IL/WI). Studded tires are pretty important down here since we get a lot of freeze/thaw conditions and I do a fair amount of riding on frozen bodies of water. I was also looking for rims that would fit in my current frame.

Anywho, so I want to race the Susitna 100 next year. I'm wondering how much of a disadvantage I will be at compared to those folks running Large Marge/Enduromorph wheels (I plan on running WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55 tires for a bit more volume). From the photos I've seen of this years Susitna 100 and the Iditarod Trail Invitational, at least some of the competitors (1/3rd?) are still running 'narrow' rims and tires.

How much of a difference is there?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

Fatback

options

The snowcat's are fine, but ideally you'd be able to run endo's if necc. but you didn't mention what frame you're running. Weight is another factor. You won't even need to bring the studs with you for the Su. The 2.55 would have worked ok this year but you never know. How much do you weigh?

viva la v-brakes!
    The enduromorphs definitely won't fit in my frame, (the Weirwolf 2.55 might be a tight fit), and from what Surly tells me I can't quite squeeze them in my Karate Monkey fork either (running 26" wheels). I should weigh about 150 lbs come race time next year (not including gear and clothes). Whatdayathink?

Caveman

26 or 29"??

Did you score some 29er snowcats? or are you using a 26" setup?
    it makes a pretty big difference.

How much do you weigh?

The monkey with 29er snowcats can fit some pretty big rubber.

Fatback
    At your weight the 2.55 would be fine for most conditions except fresh snow. I don't have experience with the KM, but I had a 1x1 and ran 2.7's with a Large Marge rear rim. This made the tire approx. 3''. I had to grind off the canti-tabs but running discs is the way to go anyway. The 29er Snowcats would be even better.

Wood chips are stupid
    If I remember correctly,the 2.5 work better than the 2.55 on Snowcats. The extra.05 really isn't that much larger and the 2.5's have a more aggresive tread(better traction). Does that sound right guys?

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

viva la v-brakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    Did you score some 29er snowcats? or are you using a 26" setup?
    it makes a pretty big difference.

How much do you weigh?
    Perhaps our posts just passed in the night but they are 26" wheels (the KM fork is only to get the correct axle-to-crown lenght) and I will weight 150 w/o gear.

Quote Originally Posted by akdeluxe
    If I remember correctly,the 2.5 work better than the 2.55 on Snowcats. The extra.05 really isn't that much larger and the 2.5's have a more aggresive tread(better traction). Does that sound right guys?
    from my experience the Weirwolf 2.5 are pretty small, more like a 2.3. According to mtbtires.com the 2.55 LTs have 20% more volume. Then again, it might not fit in my frame! And I am looking for a racing tire, I already have a pair of Freddies Revenge 2.3 for regular riding. However I really don't have any clue how much tread is necessary for riding on packed trails, though it seems like the Freddies were overkill for the packed trails I rode on this year.

Can you actually float over fresh snow? I've only ever been able to carve through it.

Fatback
    I like less tread. It seems to be less work. I cut all the lugs off the 2.7's last year and they did fine for traction and were much faster.You can float over fresh snow to a degree with Endomorphs. I've never gotten too much float with 2.5's, but I'm a bit heavier. They tend to cut through. The best thing will be to try them all and see what works for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Less is more

Couldn't agree with thirstywork more. Look at Nokian Gadozzial or whatever they are called. They are the only snow specific non-studded tires I know of for standard rims. Very low tread with lots of open space between. I alway cut away most of the lugs on tires used in winter. I've thought oh no, what have I done when really wacking some but they always perform great out on the trails. They roll so much better and I think offer better traction than really busy tread patterns. I haven't ridden much in winter south of the Alaska Range but for the conditions in the Interior, less is more.