mtbr member
    Nov 2006

snow cats, standard frame: suggested tire?

With a standard frame, what's the widest tire I can likely put on a pair of snow cats?

And what is a good (non-studded) snow tire?

Ev

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bike frame

Manufacture of bike ?
    Model of bike ?
    chain stay width ?
    seat stay width ?
    For tires do you commute or trail ride ?
    For commuting winter tire suggestions do a search on the AK forum for more info
    yaddda ..... yadddaaa .... yaaddda

with some bike designs a big 2 .3 - 2-5 tire can fit into the frame, but the FD will not clear the tire side wall
    Last edited by rio; 11-20-2006 at 04:58 PM.

Wood chips are stupid
    For most standard frames a WTB 2.5 Wierwolf works pretty good. A lot of traction and good float. It has no studs. If that is to big, old Geax Blades are ok. If you are just riding around on the bike trails, most anything will work really. Float is the deal breaker in softer conditions. Float is boss!

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Ok, 2.5. That's about what I thought. I wasn't sure if there is a particular wide tire out there specifically recommended for snow. I guess if you get a tire that's too aggressive, that will actually slow you down (?). Makes sense.

Right now I am running Nokian Extremes (2.1) and they are cool and all, but the main difference I am feeling comes mostly from the fact that I can run them at a lower pressure, not that I also have a wider tire.

Mr.Secret
    The 2.7 WTB Timberwolf if you have clearance. With the conditions as they are now anything should work short of slicks........

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Slowly wandering off topic....

Went on a bit of a shopping spree this evening (gotta love the REI return policy) for a new set of snow tires (got studs already). My first configuration: 2.5 Timberwolf (agressive tread) on the front and 2.4 (the limit of what my frame will accept) MutanoRaptor (moderate tread) on the rear . From what I have read and my brief experience on the trails this evening, I was thinking I may have had it reveresed. Seems like I may be better served with the moderate tread up front and agressive tread in the rear. I also noticed that the MutanoRaptor may not hold up long to riding at low pressures. Sidewalls seemed kind of weak. Thoughts? Does tread arrangement even matter? I've read about people trimming them down but if I can start off without that hassle....

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Snowcats with Hardtails

I went through a similar challenge with Snocats last year to include shaving tire lugs with a razor blade on the rear tire for clearance and ended up with WTB 2.55 LTs on the front and rear - rather small and shallow lugs but the tire volume (surface area on snow) was larger than shaved 2.5s - there is some traction slippage but rider technique can compensate. The new Cannondale hardtails (05 F400) seem to have more space in the rear end than any of the older bikes I stuck wheels in the following: 1995 Salsa Ala Cart, 95 Fat Chance, Klein Fervor, 98 Trek 850&950s, 98 ti Bianchi and a Merlin Fat Beat). Rear tire clearance is very dependent on a properly dished & true wheels is the fit is tight. I smacked my rear Snocat on the Bianchi on a ride and listen to the tire rub the ti stay all the way home. Speaking to a couple of LD racers - they ran shaved 2.5 Weirwolves on the back and and ran 2.55 LTs on the front. This winter I went to 2.3 Nokians Freddies and am pretty happy riding a mixture of soft, hardpack and bare ice. - they are heavy but Nokian rubber is very tolerant of the cold & they pretty good lug design - the new pointed carbide studs on ice are unmatched and a little more frame clearance helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I ended up getting 2.5 Weirwolves for front and back and had to take a belt sander to the outermost knobs to get them to clear the chainstays and fork. They spun clearly but after only one ride my rims were already enough out of true for the knobs to rub again. More sanding....and I always found truing hard, but I think I am about to get better at it...

These are clearly too much tire for my Voodoo Hoodoo frame, but I can't afford a new one anytime soon. Still, any recommendations for a decent, wide-clearance hardtail?

SkiMonkee, the only thing I can comment on is, I think your more aggro tire should be in back. Otherwise, the WW's roll fine.