rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Snaux Bro Results

Well, the course became what we wished for, in just a short 48 hours the trail transformed from a groomed trail that was marginally packed with dry snow to a trail which then became a very hard packed and fast trail. The lake area that was not protected by trees and exposed to the winds became a section that was filled with windblown snow that became a hike a bike section that made everyone take their bike for a walk and pegged their gagometer !

Well the riders had a choice of riding 2 or 3 laps.
    The 4 riders choose to ride 3 laps, but, only 1 rider from that group rode 3 laps and that was Greg M and he rode 3 laps in 1 hr - 2 minutes; James Stull rode 2 laps in 47:06, John E. did 2 laps in 49:06; Tim Kelly after taking a major head plant and riding a phat bike for the first time ever, completed 2 laps in 1:09.
    Rob German choose 2 laps completed 1 lap in 38 minutes and for good measure did a second lap for a total time of 1:15.
    The fast lap was set by Greg, the course measured 4.2 miles, his first lap was 20.08 and his second lap was 41:17, the 3rd lap was around 20:40 folks, that is cruising right along !

If you have time to ride Sunday, you may want to try a ride this course and experience the fun and challenges that the Snaux Bros did tonight !
    PAX

Fatback

Snaux Bro

Special thanks to Carlos for all his efforts. We had a limited turnout, probably because of worries about about the course conditions. The course conditions may never be better. I honestly don't think I've ridden these trails in smoother/faster shape. It was bomber if you stayed on the packed trail and not too bad even if you overshot the corners. Rob kicked ass on 2.3's. It was soo much faster than I anticipated. For those of you who would have liked to be there, there will be another race using this trail in a month and it is a must. This is a winter XC race like no other.These are the best trails in town. And Tim, it is always a blast to party with you. It's too bad we don't have this much fun year round. In two weeks we have a tailgater at Goose. Hope to see all of Anchorages' winter mtb community there.

What Penguin???

Wish I could have been there

But instead I was at a "horse banquet." No worries. Horse was not on the menu. But a necessary part of being a parent.

I rode the course late afternoon and was impressed by the conditions! One of these days I'll have the luck to be free on the night of one of Carlos' awesome events!

QB
    Meanwhile, back at the hive....

Grillin' & Chillin'

Can You Say Face Plant!!

Face planting on the 2nd lap might have been the most fun I had during the race. Many thanks to Carlos for letting me test ride his Fat Freaky Friendly machine.
    The first lap was fun, but I was really tired (1.5 hours of intervals and sprints at Speedingskating practice is not recommended on race day) and out of control on the 2nd, thus the major face plant on a fast downhill corner. The side of the trail was like diving into a cold fluffy swimming pool. I had to stop laughing so I could pull myself out of the deep end of the pool.

It's too bad more people didn't show it was a great night to ride and the course was perfect for the fat tire bikes.

Rob, you are awesome . If I had rode my Nokian studded bike I might still be out there. Kudos to you Rob.

Thirstywork it definitely was! Greg, as long as you don't run out of hilarous stories and good music to listen to, we won't run out of reasons to party.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Frigid Bits its not

the bike, its about the laid back friends that show up to work, ride or watch and the spontaneous fun that magically happens before, during and after the ride !

Also as a side note, I was thinking about the biking and ski ( snow knowledge ) experience that was used to develop the Snaux Bros. course; and I can very easily come up with a 100 years of ! Yeah, we have an idea whats up with snow !
    Thanks to all those awesome loyal Frigid Bits riders and supporters !