KuskoRiverCruiser

Show us ur SnoBike....photos

Is Alaska the kingdom of the SnoBike or what?

...it's time to show-off your SnoBikes!

[photos, components, describe the use]
    Last edited by qayaq_alaska; 01-14-2007 at 07:43 PM.
    Martin
    [SIZE=1]"The pursuit of truth and adventure is far more noble a task than looking for work", [/SIZE]
    http://fatbikealaska.blogspot.com/

KuskoRiverCruiser

AOC Wildfire Kuskokwim Kruzer

IMGP1670

AOC Wildire Kuskokwim Kruzer

Components: Wildfire, Rohloff, Surly, WTB, White, Phil, Jones, Thomson, Paul, Morningstar

Kuskokwim River and coastal Bering Sea Cruising
    Last edited by qayaq_alaska; 01-23-2007 at 07:30 AM.
    Martin
    [SIZE=1]"The pursuit of truth and adventure is far more noble a task than looking for work", [/SIZE]

KuskoRiverCruiser

AOC Surly Kuskokwim Kruzer

IMGP1657

AOC Surly Kuskokwim River Kruzer - Team Bike (1)

[Surly, White Industries, WTB, Phil, Paul, Jones, Thomson, Zzipp, Morningstar]

At home on the trails on and around the Kuskokwim River and Coast, SW Alaska
    Last edited by qayaq_alaska; 01-23-2007 at 07:32 AM.
    Martin

No, that's not phonetic

Oh, I have one of these too...

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Cycling, FTW!!

She's no Pugsley....

Snowbike (Medium).jpg

But I love her anyway.

I'm from Utah
    The windshield is genius.

KuskoRiverCruiser

New question here. Oh common now.....

...we know there's way more SnoBikes out there...give it up...lets see!

Martin
    Martin

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by qayaq_alaska
    ...we know there's way more SnoBikes out there...give it up...lets see!
    Alright, I'll play. Here's my progression through the last 12 years or so.

My first snowbike, a Litespeed Hiwassee that has a ton of rear tire clearance. Actually the best I've seen for any Litespeed. Geax 2.25s fit no problem. It was their straight gauge economy model, even has riveted on cable guides, so nothing fancy, but it's been solid, just wish it was longer across the top. I sent it to Titus in Arizona a few years ago to weld on a rear triangle disc mount and they did a fantastic job.

For the times when trails got really solid packed, and moose would gravitate to them and create endless divots, some suspension would come in handy. Enter...the Mantis Snow Floater. I also found a machinist that made rear disc mounts for these and it totally cured the main weakness of this bike. fsp of MoonHead Machine, who hangs out on the Vintage board a lot, created the mounts along with some other very unique components before his company dissolved. What a shame too, they had some great ideas.

Feeling the need for a larger footprint on snow for added flotation, I had a 29er built. I got lucky finding some 29er SnoCats, and had a Waltworks built to my dimensions. With rear triangle clearance for the widest 29er made so far plus some fudge factor extra clearance anticipating future wider offerings, this is destined to become my main local ride.

And....on to the grand poobah......the FatBike. The ultimate in flotation offered to accomodate mass produced components. What was once a freakshow niche is rapidly becoming the mode of choice if you want to limit walking. Equipped with some racks and a frame bag it's bound to become my winter mule to reliably access Alaska's remoteness. Here's a pic of it with a 2.5 Weirwolf tire, which is a pretty large volume tire, but pales beside an Endomorph.

Rando
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member

AWD Baby!!

Jeep Rubicon classic
    • File Type: jpg a.JPG (143.5 KB, 938 views)
    • File Type: jpg b.JPG (113.5 KB, 919 views)
    • File Type: jpg c.JPG (182.9 KB, 914 views)
    • File Type: jpg d.JPG (203.7 KB, 909 views)
    Last edited by montanabiker; 01-21-2007 at 05:43 PM.

mtbr member

another pugs...

Yes, a large, in the hard-to-find purple color. Not the outstanding photograpy of Tscheesy - but a contribution to this post all the same. I'll update it next time I see daylight. 20" pugs, remo sand rims and endomorph tires. Short ride on build completion was awesome once I let enough air out of the tires.
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesotony
    Yes, a large, in the hard-to-find purple color. Not the outstanding photograpy of Tscheesy - but a contribution to this post all the same. I'll update it next time I see daylight. 20" pugs, remo sand rims and endomorph tires. Short ride on build completion was awesome once I let enough air out of the tires.
    Lookin' smoove there, T-licious...

Unless you're riding pavement, there isn't much point in going above ~12 psi, IMO.

More pics please...

MC

P.S. y'all have got some snow, eh?

@adelorenzo

Snow monkey?

In the winter I ride this bike everywhere, both for fun and for commuting to work and around town. My normal commuter only has 37mm cross tires so this bike is both until the snow melts. 75% of my preferred route to work is on trails anyways.

It's not a real 'snow bike' but I am lucky in that Whitehorse has lots of trails that are packed enough to handle it and generally great winter riding conditions. Sometimes I ride with the wife while she skis or skijors.

• Surly Karate Monkey frame/fork
    • Velocity Dyad/LX 29er wheels
    • 2.3 Exiwolf (R) 2.1 Ignitor (F) tires
    • 1x8 drivetrain
    • V-brakes
    • Surly bars, Thomson post, WTB saddle

FatBike Fiend

My snow bikes

Here's the story of my decline into the sordid sport of fat wheeled snow biking. From my earliest years I showed interest in the sport and progressed to the point I'm at now. I shudder to think what's next.
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

FatBike Fiend

Nice

That baby looks like she provides all the flotation you'll ever need. And equipped with an Endomuff too, no doubt.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni

gnarly...

We've been b!tchin' about the horses, could you imagine the tracks that baby leaves.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

Fatback
    Now THAT'S thirsty work right there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Idaho FatBike

I am new to the FatBike scene but I am lovin' it. It took a while to get here but it was worth the wait.

Here is the the build:

Frame & Fork: Wildfire FatBike
    Hubs: XT
    Rims: Surly Large Marge
    Tires: Surly Endomorph 3.7
    Stem & Post: Thomson
    Bottom Bracket: Phil Wood 100 X 145
    Crankset: Middleburn square taper
    Pedals: Wellgo Magnesium
    Shifters: Sram XO Twist Shisters
    Front Derailleur: Shimano E-type
    Rear Derailleur: Sram XO
    Rear Brake: Magura Louise FR
    Handlebar: Easton Monkeylite Lo Rise

Future changes include drilling out the cable stops for full length shift housing and switching to a BB7 mechanical rear brake. Some Morningstar Soup is on the way to winterize all of the bearings as well.
    Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Driggs
    Here is the the build:
    Bottom Bracket: Phil Wood 100 X 145
    Dave, I'm diggin' the Kermit green, that really looks sharp.

I noticed you listed the BB as 100 x 145. Does your Wildfire have a 100mm wide BB shell? If so was that a custom request, or is that the new standard for Mark's frames?

Much like the Vicious frames, it seems like the idea makes a ton of sense. That and going to a 150mm wide rear hub to eliminate the funky wheel dishing also seems so sane.

Lookin' good.

Rando

This place needs an enema
    Here ya go.

Cheers,

MC

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

100mm BB shell

Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando

I noticed you listed the BB as 100 x 145. Does your Wildfire have a 100mm wide BB shell? If so was that a custom request, or is that the new standard for Mark's frames?
    Thanks! I got lucky with the 100mm BB shell. Mark decided to change the standard after I had ordered the frame and luckily Phil Wood had some of the 100 x 145s available. I think Mark said my frame was the first one out the door with the new shell. It was really easy to set up and there are definitely more options available in 100mm than 85mm.
    Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

FatBike Fiend

Minor changes

Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando

Much like the Vicious frames, it seems like the idea makes a ton of sense. That and going to a 150mm wide rear hub to eliminate the funky wheel dishing also seems so sane.

Lookin' good.

Rando
    Dave, Love that "Sparkle Granny Smith" paint. Lookin' sweet.

Rando,

After seeing the demise of the off the shelf 73 X 127.5 XT bottom bracket and what was left of the square taper cranksets out there that worked well with the FatBike, some changes were in order. Went with the new 100mm shell to give the option of using a Phil Wood BB square taper bottom bracket like Dave's bike or 100 X 148mm ISIS and to accomodate Remolino rims (even though they aren't made anymore, people still use them) with Endomorph tires. I was trying to stay away from this as it moves the pedal width/Q factor out even wider. I like the wider width but it is an issue for some people.

For the rear offset, I'm pretty anal about chainline issues. The FatBike was I believe the first wide tired bike built that you could actually use all of the 8 or 9 gears on the rear cassette without the chain rubbing on the tire and still use an off the shelf, lightweight 135mm rear hub. Using a 150 mm rear hub/ 0 offset, in addition to being a bit heavier, more expensive, and harder to find, still doesn't quite pencil out to that perfect chainline where the middle cog on the rear is in line with the middle chainring (RTR, chime in here as it works for you). It's pretty close though. I think a 165mm freeride hub would be better but it's through-axle and heavy. And this is all getting away from my philosophy of using commonly made parts. So for now, I'm staying with the offset on the stock frames but can build a 0 offset custom one if anyone wants. The 20mm offset rear triangle works great with wide rims if they are off-center drilled but becomes an issue when you want to run skinny 29" wheels in the summer on your FatBike frame. It works, but the unequal spoke lengths on each side aren't ideal strength wise. Anyway, everything is a compromise and it's always a work in progress so thanks for the input (notice those rack mounts on Dave's frame, huh?).

Snowing again in Anchorage today? Same here.
    Last edited by Wildfire; 01-23-2007 at 11:47 AM.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire
    After seeing the demise of the off the shelf 73 X 127.5 XT bottom bracket and what was left of the square taper cranksets out there that worked well with the FatBike, some changes were in order. Went with the new 100mm shell to give the option of using a Phil Wood BB square taper bottom bracket like Dave's bike or 100 X 148mm ISIS
    Thanks for chiming in Mark. Good move on the wider BB. It wouldn't be an issue if Phil came out with some true 85mm dedicated BBs, but I'd imagine the market is probably pretty limited. Maybe some pushing and nudging on your part

everything is a compromise and it's always a work in progress so thanks for the input (notice those rack mounts on Dave's frame, huh?).
    I'm understanding your logic on the rear triangles, but it is nice that you're open enough to allow the wider dropout spacing to be a custom option. Just as the downhill 100mm wide BB components are pretty commonplace now, so are the wider rear hubs.

It has been interesting to follow the evolution of snowbikes through the years. Good job on keeping an open mind to improvements. And yes, I did notice the rear rack braze-ons. I first saw them on the orange Chris King blinged out one you built and gave you a nod for incorporating another great idea!

Looks like the dropouts are a bit more sculpted now too. Classy.

Rando

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Here's the story of my decline into the sordid sport of fat wheeled snow biking. From my earliest years I showed interest in the sport and progressed to the point I'm at now. I shudder to think what's next.

Noob here....what's the black thing velcroed???
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

Here & There
    Apr 2007
    Was wondering that myself until I stumbled upon the Wildfire Designs site a few minutes ago. Looks like their frame bag. http://www.wildfirecycles.com/fatbikes.html
    <ΙχΘΥΣ><